Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here smoke cigarettes? page 2

cc40 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I smoked from for 11 years. Two plus years before quitting smoking I had quit drugs and alcohol as well. I swore to never give up smoking (or coffee) since I'd quit everything else. During that time I became a daily bike rider (no car), then started mountain bike racing, and also hardcore weight-lifting. In early 96, I realized I was only smoking 3-5 cigs a week, so I just stopped buying them. I think the daily cardio/weight work that I was doing made my body change what it wanted or would accept.

Now, 13 years later, I still have a random craving for a smoke, but not drink or drug (15+ years). That proves to me that nicotine is worse than any hard drug you can think of. Believe me, I quit the hard stuff.

So, I don't know "how to" quit smoking other than suggesting that anyone can do it. Cravings can be tough as that part of your brain will want it for some time. Really, it comes down to choice. I believe that if you make the choice to stop or start something, then it can be done. Good luck with getting the smoking out of your life, and try to be thankful that you can choose to change any time you want.

By the way, I love the last paragraph of jpippenger's post.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i smoked from age 15 to 28 and it's been 6.5 years since i quit. i was very similar to serialsinner in that i had very strong ties to smoking during certain activities like drinking coffee, after a nice dinner, with particular friends, with alcohol etc.

if you can, quit cold turkey. if you don't feel you can, then maybe my experience will help.

i decided i needed to start tackling each of those habits as milestones. so i started with my morning coffee. i used to have a cigarette soon after waking up, then have coffee and more cigs. so i decided each day for a week i was going to wait one extra hour before having a cigarette until i managed to enjoy my morning coffee without a cig and next thing i knew it was lunchtime. i felt free of cravings in the mornings and by conquering that first habit i felt empowered. it was easy then to go another week by increasing one more hour each day until i was only having a few cigs in the evenings, usually with a drink and after dinner.

the last habit of drinking and smoking was the hardest for me. i spent a few weeks not going out with friends to bars, esp. if they smoked. and eventually i was able to separate smoking and drinking. they did not have to go together.

once that happened, it just came down to one thing. making a choice. i decided i no longer wanted to smoke. i didn't want to smell bad. i wanted food and wine to taste better. i wanted to prove i could do it. i wanted to set an example for my friends. and the list went on so that i had no option but to follow through with my choice. if i smoked, it was because i was choosing to do it and that was no longer acceptable.

good luck! you are fighting a tough addiction but it is so worth it.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Paneristi - I gave up alcohol in 2000 as well!

<high 5>

Paneristi is offline Member

Thanks everyone...ok

DAY ONE

Thanks for all your support - will log my progress

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Congratulations Paneriti. Remember, after the first day it's all downhill, do if you make it 'till tomorrow night, the worst part is over.

Tip: try to carry a water bottle with you all the time, and if you have a cravings peak, drink water like there's no tomorrow, and then go and fill it again. Keeps you busy and distracts your mind from the cravings.

Don't let it beat you!

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SerialSinner

"Don't let it beat you!" ......for me thats a VERY POWERFUL motivator ...'

'Thanks

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

paneristi: keep that willpower strong!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

jpippenger Guest

Good luck Paneristi, you have everything you need to beat it.

Thanks everyone - Its been 24 hours and I'm doing Ok

Munching on seeds :-) LOL.

Up at 0545 - in the gym by 0630 for a great workout - fasted till 1300 hrs and went for lovely 2 hr walk with the kids and Jenny this morning from 0900-1200

Chilling with the kids

Doing well...

Richard

Shine is offline Member

Congrats on making the first full day; that truly is the hardest day.

You have already done the difficult part of taking the first step and breaking the habitual routines that involved smoking. Now you just need to continue with your new routines that do not involve smoking.

Remember, you have quit once before so you know you are fully capable of it. And just think of how nice and clean your mouth feels right now!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast