Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low-Carb Long Term - Excerpt from Article page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Low-Carb Long Term - Excerpt from Article

I was reading an article about how to get abs that are better defined, and read this:

If you're like many people, you think removing the carbs from your plate is the fastest way to get lean. Unfortunately, that's often not the case. Low-carb diets may be useful for fat loss, but following a very low-carb diet for a long time will cause you nothing but problems. Certain fat-fighting hormones begin to change when your carb intake is too low, and this actually causes your metabolism to shut down. When your metabolism slows, you end up burning so few calories over the course of the day that fat loss becomes next to impossible. Go high-carb once a week to keep the balance steady. Your abs will thank you.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/1...#ixzz19KsqyK7F

What is everyone's thoughts on that?

Avarim is offline Member
    I think if your metabolism is not screw up for eating 30 + more years on industrial crap going low carb is completely nonsense, I went low carb just like everybody else who got into this the paleo thing. My mistake was thinking paleo = low carb...now I understand that paleo is basically non grains, veg oils, sugar/fructose.
    I felt/look muuuuch better with more tubers & less fat (indulging in butter is bliss, but it just didnt work for me).
    I think that the term high carb is nonsense...it should be replace by high tuber IMO.

About the OP, I can definitely see more abs definition since lowering butter & upping tubers, but as the cliche says "everyone is different, do what works best for ya"

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    At first I thought carb re-feeding once a week helped me get over a plateau but now I'm not sure if it's causing one! I'll eat a potato and a couple pieces of fruit after working out. But it could be other things like now I'm experimenting pretty close to Whole30 by drinking less wine and skipping the cheese or cream on things because of dairy.

I weighed less doing Atkins than I do now on PB but I think my body is shaping up differently now than it did on Atkins - in a better way! I was super strict on Atkins -less than 20g a day a NEVER a carb cheat like a potato.

I guess that wasn't a good answer but Atkins was pretty straightforward while Primal - you have to experiment with your carb levels and find what works best for you.

I just read about this diet today on Huffpo - cut out the carbs and lose the weight , add a little in, if you gain weight cut them out again and so on and so on......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-..._b_800501.html

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I think the author is thinking of leptin. Leptin regulates hunger and energy metabolism, and leptin levels change when dieting. Eating fat and protein won't affect leptin levels noticeably, but overfeeding carbohydrate will normalize leptin. Leptin levels depend on the amounts of adipose tissue you have, however, and overweight people have high levels of leptin, even when dieting. For lean individuals a period of higher carb eating can normalize leptin levels when dieting to prevent stalling. It should only be necessary when bodyfat is in the 10% range (for men).

Other hormones such as testosterone and growth hormone are probably also affected, but I dont know a lot about that.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    10% Body Fat? Ok, this is making me reconsider my refeeds BIG time.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Well, first of all, I'd question anything from FoxNews. And who is Shannon Clark and what makes her an authority? It is so easy to get sucked into these articles, many of which have no scientific basis.

That said, I know that I am a person who cannot eat many carbs - if I do I will gain weight and I don't feel well. I lost the weight I fought for years by eating fat, protein and good veggies and I'm sticking with it. I guess I believe Mark more than Ms. Clark (whoever she is....)

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    For lean individuals a period of higher carb eating can normalize leptin levels when dieting to prevent stalling. It should only be necessary when bodyfat is in the 10% range (for men).
    If you're a male with 10% bodyfat and still dieting, something is wrong. Probably between your ears.

Gordo

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    If you're a straight male with 10% bodyfat and still dieting, something is wrong. Probably between your ears.

Gordo
    Fixed.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    If you're a male with 10% bodyfat and still dieting, something is wrong. Probably between your ears.
    Well maybe, that's what bodybuilders do, and some models...
    Anyways was going to add a comment to my other post, but accidently deleted it and went /ragequit so I'll try again now that it's a new day.

Carb refeeds are only necessary in the 10% bodyfat range when going lower, meaning you can get to around 10% without them.
    With a bodyfat in the 15-20% range they can still be beneficial though, but should be used with lower frequency because leptin levels don't change as dramatically (maybe once every 3 weeks rather than once a week).
    If you have more than 20% bodyfat your leptin levels will be high, and a carb refeed won't affect that. Instead it will just make you gain weight because you're probably insulin resistant.

Now further clarification: A lot of low carbers tend to underestimate carb refeeds. Fitness gurus (aka Lyle McDonald in his CKD ) recommend 10-12g of carbs per kg of lean body mass. For me at 80kg and a lbm somewhere in the 60's, that means more than 600 grams of carbohydrate. Having two sweet potatoes and a piece of fruit in one meal isn't a carb refeed, it is just a meal containing some carbohydrate. Meals containing a bit of carbohydrate won't normalize leptin levels, but they're still good to have on a regular basis if you are an active person, as a means of repleting muscle stores of glycogen. If you perform intense exercise with depleted glycogen stores, the body will cannabalize protein as a means of supplying glucose. This probably isn't a big deal occasionally, but trainng with high intensity several times a week without any carbohydrate would be an inefficient way to train.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    10-12g of carbs per kg of lean body mass

Can this amount be obtained from wine?
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast