Thread: Gaining/Maintaining Weight and Inches..Any changes I should make in diet? page

tradawg is offline Senior Member

Gaining/Maintaining Weight and Inches..Any changes I should make in diet?

Shop Now
    Sorry to start another thread about this, but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong and could use some advice. I've been somewhat primal for months now, and have really cleaned things up the past 6 weeks or so. I've been doing the 8 hour eating window, and have kept calories fairly low on purpose-due to a back injury I haven't been active. I have one "carb-up" day a week where I eat more calories and more carbs (keep them primal). I weigh and measure once a week, and over the past 6 weeks I have either maintained both weight and inches or have gained. And I have a good 15-20 pounds I would like to lose. Due to the measurements, and the way my clothes fit I'm def not losing fat and gaining muscle.

A typical day's diet looks like this:
    60%F, 30%P, 10%C ~1100-1300 calories

2 eggs, avocado, spinich, coconut oil (occasionally some cottage cheese)
    Chicken, olive oil, sometimes bacon
    Salmon or some other type of fish
    Almond butter (1 serving)

I take krill oil, Vit D, magnesium/calcium, red clay

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well, since every body's different... I'm thinking you may want to do some experimenting on yours. Since you've been eating pretty clean for 6 weeks, and don't seem to overdo the dairy/nuts... here's just a few suggestions to consider. (Keeping in mind that everybody is super different of course!)

Calories... try playing with calories. You may be too low right now (even though you're not very active). Everybody has a different set point where your body thinks you may be not going to get enough food and it starts conserving. Many people have had good results by upping their calories a bit, so that the body doesn't feel threatened. You might have to play with the amount though. I, personally, like to vary it daily... maybe 1500 one day and then 1200 the next, then 1350, etc... trying to keep to a good "average" over the week, but not getting into a daily rut.

Carbs... not everybody does well with low carb. Most do... but depending on other issues going too low with carbs can be not so good. I tend to stay around 50g... but I'm hypothyroid -- and going too low in carbs makes my thyroid freak out and store my hormones differently.

While I'm on that... is there a chance you have some other metabolic stuff going on? Thyroid, Adrenals, Insulin Resistance, etc... these things if they go on for a while can whack out your hormones (that's the scientific term ) and it can take some time of eating the right stuff to get everything back in order. I'm still working on it after a couple of years of treatment and a year of primal and it's just barely starting to get normal-ish. So just something to keep in mind... there may be other things that need looking at, and if your diet is where it should be it may be a flag that something else is awry.

Protein...some of us (especially some of us ladies... though not all by any means) have found that too much protein ends up getting stored as fat. I tend to keep towards .5g/pound of LBM, so for me it's only about 50-60g of protein a day. Just something some of us have found works, though many of the women here eat tons of protein with no issues... so again, it's an experiment.

Have you had your levels checked for D, iron, ferritin, etc? Though you're taking D, it can sometimes take a while to get it up to the right levels which can totally affect weight loss. Plus, it depends on how much you take... I had to get up to 6,000 i.u./day to maintain a healthy level, anything under that it would just go lower.

These are just a few suggestions... I'm sure you'll get a lot more. Just keep in mind that what works for somebody else may or may not work for you, so keeping it in mind that you're experimenting on "you" may help.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Wait, how big are you? I understand wanting to create a deficit, but 1100-1300 calories sounds like malnourishment unless you're a midget..
    Your food plan actually looks good though (could afford to add some more veggies though!), I have a hard time believing the calories are so low unless your servings are tiny.
    I mean, if you've been this low calorie for 6-8 weeks without seeing results then continuing the same way would be foolish.
    You have back problems, but just getting up and out and taking a walk every day can be wonderful for you íf you can handle it.
    My last thought is on the carb-up day. You're not exercising and you're not lean, you don't need a carb-up day. Try skipping it for a month imo.

Obviously can't know for sure what your problem is or what you need to do, but these are some ideas.

Minxxa...
    Wow...thank you for the thoughtful response! I have definitely considered that my calories are just too low, but I was hoping that a high calorie day once a week would help/make up for that. Along the same lines, I figured having a higher calorie/higher carb day would help with eating such a low amount on other days. I'm definitely going to try zig-zagging my calories a little more and have a few higher days.
    I had my thyroid tested a while back because I have quite a few symptoms of hypothyroidism, but don't think I got the full panel, and I can't afford to have it done again. I've been unemployed for a while and my insurance sucks and doesn't cover much of anything. I've been taking a little over 5,000 i.u./day of D just to be on the safe side and because again, can't afford to have it tested right now.
    I will definitely try some of your suggestions re: lowering protein and increasing calories. Thanks again!

Pandadude...
    I'm not quite a midget-5'7"-but I thought when eating primal calories don't matter as much. I would love to add more veggies but they bring my carb count up quickly and I'm trying to stay under 50g. I really figured eating this way I would lose 15 pounds rather quickly and could re-incorporate lots of veggies back in once I was maintaining. And my servings aren't tiny, normal, single-serving portions-I track every bite so the calories are what they are.
    I guess I don't need a carb-up day, that was just habit from when I was exercising. I'm guessing I'll just try increasing my calories and having higher/lower days. Thanks for the help.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    tradawg...gotcha on the thyroid thing. May or may not be that, but proper testing is difficult to get even when you have the insurance! I'd give raising your carbs to at least 50g/day a shot (since the lowered amount hasn't worked). Most of the peeps I know who have thyroid issues don't lose weight on low carb... and do better with more (primal of course!) Maybe just give it a shot for a bit... up to 50g, maybe try 75g and see if you notice a difference. I'm trying to think of who it is (Nutmeg, I think...) who ended up upping their carbs to the 75g range and started dropping weight. If it doesn't work, you can always try something different...

Also, there's a thyroid group on this board... mostly just some posts with good articles, but that may help you out some. Frankly I feel a lot of thyroid issues can be cleared up by eating better and removing toxic stuff-- not all, some are hereditary, but definitely they can be helped by the changes you're doing now. Reading some on thyroid might give you some ideas on what you can do without drugs... and maybe some supplementation that can help. For example, I eat two brazil nuts/day for the selenium, which helps the thyroid. Things like that are easy, and can't hurt, right?!

Good luck with it and keep us updated... it's nice to see where people are and if they figure stuff out!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I'll give it a try! I was eating 2 brazil nuts/day a while back and for some reason forgot about it/stopped doing it....will definitely start that back up. Thanks...and I'll definitely report back!