Thread: Greetings! Funny how I got here. page

the bacon hut is offline Senior Member

Greetings! Funny how I got here.

Primal Fuel
    Hello, everyone. I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks and finally joined, so I thought I would tell you my story of how I got here. I wasn't looking to lose weight (which I need to do) or get healthier (I need to do this, too), I found this site because I bought some meat.

A friend got me a good deal on rib eyes for a party I was having so I was searching to find what the normal price for them would be. I wound up on a forum where they were talking about meat and had pictures of the meat they bought and how much they paid for it. Turns out it was a forum for only eating meat and drinking water, nothing else. I thought that was a little extreme but reading about the health benefits of eliminating grains and eating more fat made me search for more information. I read a lot of information and looked at a lot of forums, but I found I kept coming back to this one. I decided I wanted to try this way of eating so I planned to start on January 1st.

On Christmas eve I had a late dinner which was a chicken rice bowl I made. On Christmas day I woke up and made bacon and eggs for breakfast. I thought "why not start now? Don't wait until the new year." For Christmas dinner I ate prime rib and some vegetables with butter. My family thought it was strange for me not to eat stuffing and rolls and pie, but I just told them I was leaving more for them. So, it's been about a day and half but I feel good. I wasn't a big sweet or dairy eater, but I could eat away a box of cereal in a day (strawberry mini wheats), granola bars too. A couple of things I have noticed is that I'm not hungry throughout the day and I don't want to gross anyone out, but I've had runny poop. I also don't feel like taking a nap after I eat, which I always did before. But again, I'm feeling great and have no cravings.

So, that's my story. Sorry that it's kind of long. I know it's early but I really feel that I can make this transition in my life. And I know if I get into trouble, I have the fine ladies and gentlemen of this site to get me back on track.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Great! Welcome.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're off to a fine start. Have you ordered any tubs of lard and coconut oil yet?

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    thanks for sharing your story! i've been lurking and sharing here for 6 months or so and while i've had some ups and downs in my diet and exercise, i so believe in primal. mainly because of how i feel when i'm following the guidelines...

so, welcome, bacon hut, and enjoy the rich journey of primal!

the bacon hut is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.
    @dragonmamma: No, I haven't bought them yet, but I've been researching a lot about them.

CriQue312 is offline Junior Member
    This is very cool to read Bacon Hut! Like Yoga Daily I joined 6 months ago... almost to the day. It wasn't easy to figure out at first, but I kept coming back, finding recipes here and on some of the other sites, looking at comments people would make under Mark's daily articles and I found myself hooked. I had a bump on Christmas with some chocolate cookies and brownies, but really that was because of poor planning on my part. I spent two days straight on my feet shopping and cooking for my family (both primal and not-so-primal fare) without eating enough muscle repairing protein and that sent me into carb cravings.... that and the sugar glazed ham probably had a little something to do with the cravings. Other than that indiscretion, I've lost 40 pounds from April of last year, gradually, and have learned so much about my body. I've gained so much confidence and am virtually rid of the dietary induced anxiety and depression I used to be plagued with.

Anyway, I'm just saying Welcome! We all started somewhere with this. Everyone here is very inviting. Reading the Primal Blueprint does help you learn more, but take steps as gradually as you need to ensure your success. Perfection isn't necessary, just making wise decisions routinely will help you feel soooooo much better and losing weight is just an added perk!
    CriQue ~ Groking it like it's hot since June 26, 2010
    May 26, 2010 241lbs, // Aug 12, 2011 178lbs // Goal 150ish

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
    - Melody Beattie

CriQue312 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Applegate Farms (just an fyi) is one of the easiest brands of all natural meats to find if you don't live in a large urban center. I can find nitrate free all natural hotdogs and nitrate free bacon among other things by that brand at Wegman's and Giant.

Ways to avoid sugar, you'll want to look up Mark's article on this since sugar sneakily comes in many forms/names and will sabotage your best laid plans to reduce unwanted carb loading. (Glucose, fructose, corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, and others... ) Artificial sweeteners helped me for a little while, but eventually I realized they were a crutch and when I cut them out the weight stopped plateauing.
    CriQue ~ Groking it like it's hot since June 26, 2010
    May 26, 2010 241lbs, // Aug 12, 2011 178lbs // Goal 150ish

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."
    - Melody Beattie