Thread: Comprehensive home blood test / diagnostic kits? page

abexman is offline Member

Comprehensive home blood test / diagnostic kits?

I just started TPB and am on p. 42. The section on how Grok had ideal levels of C-reactive proteins, cholesterol, glucose, insulin, etc. got me thinking about something I have wondered about before:

are there any good self-administered kits I can order to do a good comprehensive blood test that would help me diagnose my health from a primal perspective? If not can anyone suggest a list of things to get tested on at the doctor to help understand where my nutrition might be deficient? I always wonder if the typical blood test the doctor's office administers really covers everything important...

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    ZRT Labs is one reliable resource, which offers numerous tests:
    http://www.zrtlab.com/

List of ZRT's available tests:
    http://www.zrtlab.com/order-a-test-online/vmchk.html

Many of the tests are saliva or finger-prick tests, which can be done at home and then mailed in for analysis, which is more convenient than having to schedule a blood draw at a lab.

Uncledave is offline Member
    Directlabs also offers a range of tests. https://www.directlabs.com/Home/tabi...S/Default.aspx
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    The company has tests geared towards athletes. http://www.bioletics.com/

Thanks - I have used one or two of these before. Can anyone suggest a good list of what one *should* get tested?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    According to a workbook I got from my chiropractor, Choosing Health, the recommendedn blood tests are: SMAC 24 (tests kidney and liver function, minerals, protein, energy production), GGTP (liver and gall bladder), Serum Magnesium, CBC (Complete Blood Count), Lipid Panel, and Thyroid Panel. The book has his own range of healthy values and what high or low values mean, plus the steps that can be taken to bring them back into line. Compared to the lab where I just got my bloodwork done he's got stricter parameters for what's healthy; according to him these values are from the average healthy person, and not just the average person, which are what the typical reference ranges are drawn from.

I've read the book and like it for the most part, since it's grounded in an experiential method to health: try this, and see what happens. He does repeat some CW stuff like drinking lots of water and having whole grains, but at least recommends cutting down on the grains and eating clean, high-quality proteins and fats. Honestly I don't pay much attention to the diet recommendations since I've got such a great resource here, but most of the book is really on evaluating symptoms and test results and correlating them with the likely cause, and fixing it. He seems to be heavy on supplementation, but explains what foods can be had to provide said nutrients so it works out for me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seems like one good resource Andrea. What about testing for Vitamin D levels, uric acid, glucose, mercury poisoning, etc. (I believe you don't test all of these directly)?