Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency Pendants / Monitoring for Elderly Love Ones - service/product suggestions? page 2

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    EDIT: I just saw how old this thread is. My bad.

My 90 year old MIL has one that is through our local hospital - a home health care nurse affiliated with the hospital came out and set it up. It's 31.50/month and well worth it in my opinion. She's had it 5 years and never had to use it thankfully - she is in pretty good health and able to lives alone still, my husband and I live 2 miles from her and go check on her daily and call her also - but it gives us a peace of mind that if she does fall (she has fallen once but had the phone with her so she called us) that she can get immediate help.. We had to give 3 local people whom they would contact if the alarm goes off or she doesn't respond to monthly check ins, and they call them in order (my husband and I are first,, and 2 sets of neighbors are next in line). If the 3 contacts are not available they send police/emt out to her home, and they can tell them how to get into the house (where the key is hidden). Contact your local hospital or Area Agency on Aging and see if something locally set up is available.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I think they can be good, but you need to do a lot of practice runs to make it possibly useful. My M-I-L at 88 had one, but for her it was useless, when in stress and even slightly with dementia, they don't think to use it. She fell during the night and didn't use it. We asked her what the cord was for around her neck and she said she hadn't a clue, although previously we had done a lot of trial runs.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    That's quite common, Silvergirl. I used to be an EMT in a small town and have gone to my fair share of calls where the senior had been on the floor for half a day or longer with their emergency alert around their neck, but had never thought to press the button. Then it'd be too late for them to get stroke treatment. It's unfortunate. The best is still having a neighbor or relative check on the person daily.

abexman is offline Member
    Hmm, seems like there are some spam posts here too. It amazes me that most of these products are either relabels of eachother or clones. Where is the innovation in this area? Saw one company that had a pendant with accelerometer to autodetect falls, but I think it was still in dev and looked pricey. I mean hell you can get an app that measures the movement of your mattress to record your sleeping patterns. Someone should make a smartphone app so you can put a device on your person and then it calls when a fall is detected.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Some of the devices have a little accelerometer in them that initiates the call if the person is completely still for too long. We got a false call for that one last week! He took it off while he took a shower. Oops.

But I still think they are a good idea!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    2 cents to add: I don't know about makes, but do talk to the person using the device to make sure they actually have it with them all the time. I've known lots of people who left their pendant hanging on a coathook, or took it off to leave on the bedside table and left it there when they got up in the night, or took it off to have a shower. Of course, in the shower and getting up in the night are exactly the moments you're most likely to need it. Whoever said that a bracelet would be more useful than a pendant - great suggestion.

Also, make sure the person using it is happy about what would happen if they did press the button. One woman was scared stiff that pressing it would mean people would come and take her to hospital against her will. I think after her recent experiences of hospital she'd have opted for dying on the floor any day...

abexman is offline Member
    Is there a good one with an accelerometer that doesn't simply call in a SWAT team if you leave it off for 5 minutes? It'd be nice to override when I'm home for example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12