Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: At a loss for what to do/feeling so unbalanced and confused page 6

kimdowse is offline Member
    Shop Now
    So, I finished the Diet Cure yesterday (had LOTS of time, since 2nd flight was delayed out of Houston). I filled out the supplement plan, headed to Vitamin Cottage and purchased all the supplements that I needed. It came to $250...I thought I'd be spending about $500...so was a bit delighted

Ginger - any words of wisdom since you've been through the protocol?

Also, I ate a bunch of Syrian food over the holidays (my mom's cooking...couldn't/didn't say no)...bulgher wheat, greek yogurt, hummus. The pain in my wrist, which I had forgotten about over the past several months of eating well, has mysteriously returned...urgh! Gotta get back on track!

kimdowse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nunatak View Post

Ginger: I started Julia Ross' Mood Cure. From just reading the beginning, it seems that I should also get The Diet Cure. Is there really that much of a difference between the two?
    nunatek - I vacillated between the two books at the bookstore. I, too was not certain which would be better for me. I chose the Diet Cure because of the specific sections on eating disorders. Would love to hear how you like the Mood Cure.

cheers - kim

nunatak is offline Member
    FairyRae: Thanks again! It's a new year and having compassion for myself is a major goal. You are right in that I have to look at the positive changes that I have made. I saw my aunt and mom over the holidays, and my aunt (who is always extremely honest with me) said that I look the best I've looked in years, in addition to looking younger. It's funny how others' perceptions can be so different than your own. I'm struggling with the weight gain, but each time those negative thoughts come, I am trying to use positive ones to override them. Thanks for the book recommendation. I will definitely check that out.

Kim: I'm so glad you read the book and got the supplements! Please come back here in a few weeks and let us know how you are doing on them. I am so curious. I haven't been able to read much of The Mood Cure yet unfortunately. There are 4 main mood types that are used and you fill out questionnaires. I fit into all 4 of them. This isn't a bad thing, as the author says some people will actually have symptoms from all 4, but I'm confused as to how I will proceed. Again, I haven't read much, so maybe it will all make sense soon. Also, I have to wait to try the 5-HTP while weaning from the ADs. I wish I could take it now. I am going to get The Diet Cure too since you mention there's a section on EDs. I am very interested in that. Hopefully Ginger will let us know how different the two books are. Good luck and please, please keep me posted on your wellness!!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Over and over again, talk therapy has been shown to be essentially worthless....no more effective than talking to a supportive friend - which is free.

Read
    _Depression Free Naturally_ - Joan Matthews Larson
    _The UltraMind Solution_- Mark Hyman
    _Beat Sugar Addiction Now_- Jacob Teitelbaum

While they all recommend grains to some degree, there is still much excellent information to be had in those pages.

Read everything at EvolutionaryPsychiatry.blogspot.com

I've btdt with the depression, anxiety (like to the point of psychosis), anxorexia, bulemia and compulsive overeating. You can definitely come out on the other side of this with diet and nutrition and a lot of reading about rational thinking - after all cognitive behavioral therapy is basically applying rational thinking to irrational thoughts and the feelings generated those irrational thoughts. Cognitive-behavioral techniques are evidence based and highly effective..

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Therapist to me: "Ginger, your white trash family is batshit crazy. That will be $150, please."

For $150, I am SO much better off to have a luxurious 90-minute massage, buy a whole bottle of 5-HTP, go to a yoga class*,
    2nd.

I am going to get The Diet Cure too since you mention there's a section on EDs. I am very interested in that. Hopefully Ginger will let us know how different the two books are. Good luck and please, please keep me posted on your wellness!!
    I find Julia Ross's books much less useful than the ones I mentioned above....I have them, but they're like beginning manuals while the others are much much more in depth....especially Joan Matthews Larson's book.

You may also want to read Paul Jaminet's book The Perfect Health Diet as it's much more into the 'safe starches' than primal/paleo. having said that, I do better when I seriously limit even the 'safe' starches. My brain likes ketosis - even when it takes 8 weeks of sleepless anxiety to ketoadapt....it's worth it.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat: Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I've read many of your posts and you are a wealth of information! You responded to me a few months back about magnesium and such. The Jigsaw magnesium that you recommended took the muscle cramps away! I've also been taking the Rainbow Light vitamins. This is kind of a silly question, but will my urine always be that psychedelic color after taking the Rainbow Light? I look at it as a good thing. I am correct right?

I am amazed by all that you have gone through and solved via proper nutrition and supplementation. I know this requires a ton of experimentation. I'm not giving up and will keep on reading and trying things. Just a few more questions for you though. Were you on anti-depressants at one time? I can't remember if I read that you were. Have you tried 5-HTP? Were there particular types of supps that you feel helped with the bingeing? I will read the books you suggested, but am curious about what you feel were crucial in helping you in this area. Thanks again!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It's been a long time since I've read both The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure, so I don't recall the specifics. But the foundation is the same, regardless. There might be a bit of variation in exactly what her protocol is, but there can't be THAT much of a variation between the two. I've just been doing a basic amino acid complex to hit all the bases (make sure has 21 aminos), but it probably is a good idea to do the full protocol to get clean and straight if you are bingeing your brains out and are helpless to stop. I never had any side effects from any of the aminos, so no lessons to be learned there. I wasn't ever on any ADs, so I've never gone through that critical weaning process. As I stated above, but it bears repeating, do not take amino acids and ADs concurrently. Do not take L-tryptophan and 5-HTP together.

I did have a few things come up with the 5-HTP: Don't take too close to bedtime or else you might have some really bizarre dreams. Don't take on a completely empty stomach if you are not planning on eating sometime within the next hour or so, as it will make you nauseous. I can't believe I'm saying this (!), but I would sometimes actually forget to eat (5-HTP also acts as an appetite suppressant) and then would be nauseous. That is all, though.

I haven't read Depression Free Naturally, so I can't speak to that, but it has some really good reviews. I'm doing so well now that this whole issue that has been very much "front burner" for most of my life is now "back-burnered," so I don't feel called to read any more books on the topic. I hope others who are struggling can get to this point as well. It's been a looong time coming for me, when it needn't have been.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Atlas is offline Member
    Wow... I'm sorry for jumping in to this thread late, but I've been off the boards for a while and just found it today. It is an amazing thread that correlates so closely with my own experience. Nunatuk, your experiences sound very much like my own, and it has been very uplifting to read the responses (especially TigerLily's) from people who have overcoming bingeing with a combination of PB and supplements.

I'd been underweight my whole life, eating mostly quick carbohydrates and grains. In retrospect, I was seriously fat and protein deficient throughout high school and college. After I left college I developed binge eating (up to 10,000 calories a day, mostly from ice cream, cake, cookies, and pure sugar) but did not gain weight. Next the compulsive overexercising started-- 8 hours of running, jump rope, and generalized cardio per day, in addition to a full-time job, etc. This lasted for nearly a year before I admitted that something was terribly wrong. I was scared out of my mind and didn't know where to turn. I ended up in talk therapy for eating disorders, and although the discussions have been useful at improving things like assertiveness and boundary-setting, it has done nothing for the bingeing. The cravings really do feel physiological rather than emotional in origin. In summer/fall of this year I discovered PB. When I started PB the cravings, bingeing, and compulsive exercise immediately stopped, and I felt great for over a month. I really had given up hope that recovery was possible, and I was so indescribably happy that the cure was really so simple as eating more fat and protein.

Unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the worse in the last month or so. Admittedly I have a lot of life stress (moved 12 times in 3 years, and just moved again two weeks ago), but the carbohydrate bingeing has begun again full-force. I am still eating mostly primally otherwise, but my hunger is immense. I'm eating 8,000-10,000 calories (of sugary junk) a day three or four times a week and really don't know how to stop-- and yet still not gaining weight. Why has this bingeing come back?! Of course I feel physically and emotionally better when that doesn't happen, but it still is scary to feel that out of control. I gain some solace from knowing that, as bad as that bingeing is for me, at least I'm better off than I was a year ago because I am getting more good food that my body needs, too.

I've taken inositol for several years (for OCD), and tried L-tryptophan which didn't really seem to help. I'll start on amino acids and maybe 5-HTP instead of L-tryp.

I sincerely wish the best for all of you. I know how scary and powerful the cravings are, and how much it can destroy your sense of self-worth. Let's keep this thread active. There IS a solution... it just may take months of finally really taking care of yourself to get there.

Atlas: I APOLOGIZE for not responding to your post! I somehow missed it!!! I just revived it because I wanted to ask a question. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your post. Wow. So you had a reprieve for a while when you started PB, but the bingeing came back. Had you added anything vitamin/supplement-wise when you started? As you know, situational stress certainly can make things worse, and for you it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. My bingeing has gotten worse since I started PB in September, but I don't think it's because of PB. I think there are many factors going on with me. I made the mistake of adding Zoloft to my Wellbutrin back in August due to situational stress. I should have known better, but was having so much anxiety at the time. The situational stress has passed though, and if it were simply that, I should not be bingeing at all. I cannot go a day at this point without consuming too much and it always begins in the morning. Now I'm getting worried because I keep gaining. The pants don't lie unfortunately. I cannot keep adding more weight. Most people would look at me right now and say I'm fine where I am, but now I'm on the edge of looking overweight (I think). You really explained it well when you said, "I know how scary and powerful the cravings are, and how much it can destroy your sense of self-worth." Oh that is so spot on. It's a horrible place to be in. Anyway, thank you again and please do update us if you try the 5-HTP. The question I am posting below is about that. Take care. I wish you well!!

Everyone: I had a question for those who might know. Everyone says not to take 5-HTP with ADs. However, Julia Ross' The Mood Cure says it's okay to take it while weaning from the ADs and that it can help in the weaning process. Of course she says it's okay to do so if you've discussed it with your physician, but I'm assuming she has to say that for legal purposes. I've gotten the okay from my therapist and now my prescribing doc to wean. The doc gave me a prescription for the Wellbutrin that is half of my normal dose, so now I'm taking 150mg. I had already cut the Zoloft in half prior to seeing her, so I'm down to 6.5mg of that. I can't even imagine it's doing anything at such a ridiculously low dose (the therapeutic dose is 50mg and many people take 100).

So the question is, if Julia Ross has had many success stories of people taking 5-HTP while weaning from ADs (taken at least 6 hours apart from the ADs), I'm wondering if I should try taking it once a day at the lowest dose. As you can surmise, I am overly-anxious to try the 5-HTP. I've been taking inositol and GTF chromium, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm at my wits end with the bingeing. I don't want to be eating like this, but I swear it's like something comes over me and I am powerless to stop it. I know I need to be kind to myself (already failed at my New Year's resolution ), but it is really hard when I'm consuming a whole day's worth of food by 8am. I am hoping the 5-HTP will help. I just find it so odd that the binges are always in the morning. That to me seems to say there is something hormonal going on. I'm hoping Ginger is right and that I am "seratonin starved."

So what are your thoughts on this? I wonder if there is anyone out there who has tried 5-HTP while weaning from the ADs.

Thanks All!

--Nuna

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I have a question for those who have taken the 5-HTP. I ran out and got some as soon as I read this thread, hoping that it would help w/everything mentioned...the depression, binging, and sleep. I have been taking it only at night (100 mg) for the past ten days, because I read it can make you drowsy and I'm tired enough during the day! I think it has been helping me fall asleep a little faster, but I always wake up after two or three hours and am up the rest of the night. I keep thinking my body just needs to adapt to it, but I'm not sure how long this will take. Should I stop taking it at night and take it in the morning instead? It does say that it may cause insomnia, so that may be what's happening. I haven't noticed any other changes from taking it, but again, I'm not sure if I just need to give it time. Thoughts?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast