Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would appreciate help page

nutritionut is offline Member

Would appreciate help

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, I hope everyone is enjoying a merry, relatively healthy Christmas.

Unfortunately, I find myself needing as much help as I can get:

A period of injury, antibiotics, and birth control has led to a significant Candida overgrowth/ IBS-C coupled with chronic fatigue/insomnia. The constipation is the most infuriating part, and I don't enjoy discussing it, but it's necessary.

I eat organic, eggs, grass-fed butter, soaked almonds, pecans, and brazil nuts, zucchini, broccoli, califlower, collard greens, chard, olive oil, mac nut oil, spaghetti squash, cinnamon, saurkraut, spinach, coconut flour, kohlrabi, and the occasional acorn squash and sweet potato. That's really about it. I've been eating like this for almost a year now ( I have eaten other vegetables like asparagus and nightshades, but have been avoiding nightshades).

I DID fall off the wagon pretty badly about two months ago, and I'm glad that I'm at least getting solid stools now, but they are still completely inadequate. I'm going off nuts for a few days to see if this makes a difference or if I am just eating too many of them.

I take a multi vitamin, glutamine, 600 Mg of magnesium throughout the day, digestive enzymes, betaine HCl, psyllium twice a day (doesn't work as well as it used to), cod liver oil. I recently started taking cellulase and protease to aid with yeast killing and protein digestion. I'm also taking a massive amount of probiotics (Ohhira, Garden of Life HSO, FemDophilus, and recently started VSL #3) in the morning and at night on an empty stomach.

What am I missing here? I'm tired of throwing away my money on weekly colonics (which at least keep me sane). The last time I got cleaned out I saw a long white thing swimming out of me; I was told it was a parasite.

Just last week my doctor said a stool test wouldn't necessarily provide useful information, but in light of my possibly hosting parasites, I might try to get the test.

Try a parasite cleanse?
    Explore my copper/zinc levels?
    Do a home salivary cortisol test?
    Flax seeds?

My sincerest thanks in advance for any piece of thought out advice.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I see extremely little protein in your diet. Unless you're eating dozens of eggs a day.

That's the glaring hting I see, though I have no idea how that could affect the issues you're having.

I eat four eggs a day. My symptoms worsen when I try to eat meat. I don't think I digest protein so well. I was raised vegetarian and am starting to learn about some ways in which I could improve this (e.g. making fermented foods, bone broths)

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I had some serious gut issues as well in the past. I really cleaned it up using the GAPS protocol by Dr. Natasha McBride. It falls in line with a primal/paleo diet as well so it should not be hard to incorporate it. What worked for me was making a lot of bone broths and using coconut oil/milk as it is really good for the gut. Building up the small intestine walls and kicking leaky gut to the curb is a tough process, falling off the wagon once a month can really de-rail your success. Once the micro villi in your small intestinal wall is damaged your gut becomes permeable. You begin to have malabsorption of key nutrients/minerals and your waste transit starts to fall off. You may not ever be able to fully heal the micro villi but you can get it to a manageable point where you are once again absorbing the right vitamins/minerals and you will have less digestive issues. It may take a bit longer for you since you said that you grew up as a vegetarian. Just don't expect it to happen overnight since it took awhile to get this way, but do look for small incremental improvements as your diet gets better.

My advice is:
    Probiotic - I used Jarro-Dophilus - 5 billion organisms - 1 pill per day
    Bone broth soup often
    No starchy carbs
    limit most fruits especially high GI fruits since they feed Candida
    maybe some digestive enzymes. I hear they work for some but I have never used them.
    Most importantly go GFCF.
    If you have amalgam fillings (mercury)/or root canals, research the connection between them and candida and your overall health. I removed mine and they could have possibly been feeding the candida as well.

Good luck and let me know what works for you as you progress.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Oh also you said you take "psyllium twice a day". I used that for about a week with terrible digestive results. I had a lot of bloating and gas. Why do you have it in your diet? Are you trying to increase your fiber intake? If that is the case your fiber intake should be more than sufficient with the whole foods and vegetables you are eating.

Also eating 4 eggs a day every day can cause allergic reaction to the point of auto-immune disease. Eggs are great but Robb Wolf recommends not having so many every day. I eat about 6-8 eggs a week which seems more than enough for my tastes. But if you are doing 28 a week that can cause some trouble for sensitive individuals.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I second the coconut oil suggestion. I immediately started experiencing yeast die-off when I started using it. I can't believe how much it's helping my skin topically, as well. I would gradually add at least 3 tablespoons a day to your diet.

Thank you Balance. I do not eat any gluten or fruit (cept for the occasional lemon and avocado), and I eat so many eggs because meat doesn't agree with me and I want to avoid the lectins in legumes. The only dairy I do is butter, so I am skeptical of Whey. I should cut down on the eggs though.

Could organic, grass-fed butter be a problem? Would goat butter be a better substitute?

I have been taking glutamine every day for almost a year for leaky gut, but I think bone broth soups are a good suggestion; many people have said this to me.

It never occured to me to take psyllium until a doctor suggested it to me. I was skeptical since I eat so many vegetables, but figured I'd try it. Taking it on an empty stomach twice a day did wonders for me for about six weeks: I had two bowel movements a day, and felt only slightly bloated. Then I got off track, and now it doesn't appear to help much.

I'm lucky to have no cavities, and eating virtually no sugar should keep it that way

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Well, not sure what might help.

You're eating an awful lot of nuts.

That'd stop me up.

Fiber (which you get plenty of) Water, and Fat make for good bowel movements to my understanding.

Personally, and this is just my perspective, "cleanses" "detox" and the like are a bunch of snake oil. I did all that stuff, and kind of wish I had my money back.

Most folks around here eat Meat, and veggies, and a high amount of fat. That's kind of what we do. Sorry it seems to make things worse for you, I hope you get some advice that helps.

Good luck.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    Get your vitamin D levels tested.

No Grains

No Dairy

No legumes

Diet should be mostly protein, fat and vegetables. Stay away from PUFA's.

Get plenty of sleep in a dark room.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup, I pretty much forgot about grains, legumes, and dairy and have significantly reduced PUFA's.

Got F.lux on the computers and will talk to my doc about vitamin D testing this monday. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast