Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too much weight loss? page 2

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

skeedaddy is offline Member

Exclamation new direction...

Time to gain rather than lose. I seem to have "overshot" my target by a few pounds and definitely don't want to continue in that direction. Thanks to Modern Cave Women for linking Mark's post on hardgainers! The advice seems solid so here are the steps I'm taking to change direction:

Eat more carbs and protein.... sweet potatoes, eggs, whey protein smoothies containing (you guessed it!) eggs and sweet potatoes in addition to heavy whipping cream.

Change my workouts...joined a gym today. Have already achieved level 4 of the "Basic 5" exercises found in the free e-book. Now plan to focus on the barbell exercises Mark recommends. Bought a copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Get more sleep. The energy boost you get from "going Primal" needs to be tempered with plenty of sleep. Also plan to reduce my coffee intake to 1 cup/day.

This, combined with stopping to smell the roses more often will hopefully result in some muscle gain and better overall health. Will repost later with results.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't change your ratios. Upping your carbs isn't a great idea IMO. I would recommend just eating more. Eat three eggs right before you go to bed every day so keep your body processing protein while you sleep. Also, start deadlifting and doing squats. Start packing away more calories in the same ratio. That way, you'll gain lots of lean muscle without accumulating too much adipose tissue. Upping your carbs will just cause you to gain body fat. The goal here should be to gain weight by adding lean muscle mass, not just gaining weight for the sake of gaining weight. If that's the goal, you'll almost always gain unhealthy weight. Adding healthy weight takes more time and work.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

soccerdfw is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeedaddy View Post
    Change my workouts...joined a gym today. Have already achieved level 4 of the "Basic 5" exercises found in the free e-book. Now plan to focus on the barbell exercises Mark recommends. Bought a copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.
    I can only recommend the "Starting Strength" Method. Focus on doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, some sort of pull and maybe add in chin-ups and dips once you've gotten used to the basic lifts. Increase your weight every workout or bang out a couple more reps (but not too many - better to add more weight). Lift heavy and you'll have great results. It's worked for me.

skeedaddy is offline Member
    Thanks for the input! It's been a little over two months and the results have been great. I started at 123 lbs. and am now at 130. At 5'6'' that's made a big difference in my build! Have been working out on the barbell 3 times a week. I also bought Mark Rippetoe's DVD companion to "Starting Strength". It was VERY helpful to see the lifts being performed. For the first few sessions I practiced all 5 basic lifts....Squat, Deadlift, Bench press, Press, and the Power clean. Following that I changed to 3 lifts per session...Squat, Deadlift and Power clean alternating with Squat, Bench press and Press. I have increased the weight every workout since I began alternating lifts. I warm up using a rowing machine for 5 minutes and cool down doing dips, pullups and lying tricept extensions. Have been eating lots of red meat and eggs (average 8 per day). All in all I am very pleased and have found the advice in the Hardgainer post by Mark to be solid. GROK ON!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I wish!!!!! I still need to get 10-15 off... hoping to make that happen in next few months.

Are you male or female?

Can you give a typical day's eats?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12