Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy crap! I've gained three-and-a-half pounds! page 3

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    How are your pants fitting? That's a way better indicator than the scale.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I eat nuts and nut butters daily, and I still lose weight. I also have dairy 3-4 times per week. If I keep my calories at a deficit, I will lose weight regardless of where they come from. However, I still keep my carbs on average between 50-100g per day.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Nuts will increase your caloric intake through carbs far too high. Nuts are not carb-free, and carbs will make you gain weight if you go outside Mark's "sweet spot for weight loss" point. Nuts make it far too easy to exceed that sweet spot.

If you want crunch, grab some carrots and celery.
    +1000 It took me a long time to finally come to grips that I had to cut my carbs wayyyy down - much lower than I thought I would need to. My number one offender in getting too many carbs was nuts. Sorry but I think these may need to go until you really understand their effect on you.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Over the course of my primal adventures, I have gained about 30 pounds, most of it muscle some of it is fat. The moral of the story is that freaking out is just not worth it, and I speak from plenty of freak out experiences.

What I've been learning is that even in the primal life, we still don't really fully understand how a person gains/loses fat. Calories in vs. calories out is bullshit. You can't infer the second law of thermodynamics, a law that pertains to systems at the molecular level, to a system such as an organism, which is several scales above a molecule. Likewise, carbs may not be that bad of things either, although if your metabolism is normal in functioning. You may simply be freaking out over poo or water. How do you feel? How do you look? Screw the scale and just live. I say that knowing its easier said than done, but once you get past that point, you will be a happy camper
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Jreyes2265 is offline Member
    I haven't read all of the post prior to mine, but if I were to give you some advice it would be to weigh yourself at the exact same time, every time. If you weigh yourself in the morning at 8:00 AM and weigh yourself the next day at 6:00 PM you will no doubt get a different weight. The body is complicated with it's weight loss, so it's important to weigh yourself at the same time ALL the time.

I recommend you weigh yourself as soon as you wake up after you release your bladder in the morning.

So say you weigh yourself once a week, then do it each and every time in the morning after you take a piss. Otherwise you will get water weight, food weight, other weight, etc etc... Post an updated weigh in sometime, I'm curious to see what has happened.

LaurenKM is offline Member
    What kind of nuts have you been eating? I love cashews (which is why rarely buy them) but I stick to raw almonds (i usually only eat 7-10 almonds per day) and pumpkin seeds but be aware of how much you are actually eating. Really a handful or two of high calorie nuts are a meal replacement not a snack.
    Silly rabbit, grains are for birds.

reba627 is offline Member
    Pardon my ignorance everyone, I'm new and still trying to get a grasp on the whole primal/paleo/what's good/what's bad stuff.

I see a lot of people saying nuts are high in carbs, but I guess I'm a little confused because it's been my understanding that nuts are a great snack, healthy fats, protein source, etc. I had an ounce of almonds and an ounce of dark chocolate today for a snack (yeah I know I should have omitted the dark chocolate, but it was a treat) but the almonds only have 5 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber (at least according to The Daily Plate), so wouldn't that make it only 2 grams of net carbs? Unless you mean if someone is eating say, 10 ounces of almonds a day, I can see how it could be a high carb snack, but should I switch to not eating them if I'm only eating an ounce a day as a snack?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reba627 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance everyone, I'm new and still trying to get a grasp on the whole primal/paleo/what's good/what's bad stuff.

I see a lot of people saying nuts are high in carbs, but I guess I'm a little confused because it's been my understanding that nuts are a great snack, healthy fats, protein source, etc. I had an ounce of almonds and an ounce of dark chocolate today for a snack (yeah I know I should have omitted the dark chocolate, but it was a treat) but the almonds only have 5 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber (at least according to The Daily Plate), so wouldn't that make it only 2 grams of net carbs? Unless you mean if someone is eating say, 10 ounces of almonds a day, I can see how it could be a high carb snack, but should I switch to not eating them if I'm only eating an ounce a day as a snack?
    "Net carbs" is an Atkins idea, and Mark's carb curve doesn't follow it. The upshot is, you don't know how much of that nut your body is turning into usable, disgestible carbs, fiber or no fiber. Count all carbs as carbs, fiber notwithstanding.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    reba:
    Depends on whether or not you want to lose weight. Not everyone here does, and some want to gain. Even though they are lower carb, you can definitely gain weight by eating a lot of nuts. But the main thing with the nuts is that a lot of people (myself included) can't stop at 1 ounce, or they "eyeball" an ounce and it's actually more like 6 (or, in my case, the whole thing).

Also, we don't calculate net carbs. When we mention carbs, we are talking gross carbs.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

reba627 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this so I still have a lot of learning to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123