Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Low on the Curve? page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Ultra-Low on the Curve?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone ever gone ultra-low on the Carbohydrate Curve to kick-start fat/weight loss? I've been stalled for months and am thinking of going to > 50 grams a day, even as low as 20. Is that advisable? Anyone have any experiences with that?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have always eaten <20g of carbs a day to lose, and there are no problems with going that "low." I actually feel best when I'm that low with carbs, but this may be an individual thing.

Years ago, when I did the Atkins plan, I discovered that I am extremely sensitive to carbs and cannot lose if I go over 30g a day. By the way, it's best to space those carbs and eat no more than 10g at any meal to lessen the insulin response.

sws223 is offline Junior Member
    I think I need to hit the 50 g or less numbers as well. I've been following a primal diet for about 3 months now. My average daily carb totals are at 94g, fiber 25g, & sugar at 32g. For me these numbers are drastically lower than what I consumed on a traditional bodybuilding diet but I seem to be stalled as well. I've cut out grains completely, I have an occasional sweet potato, I might eat some beans in a cup of chilli once in awhile (once a month maybe). Currently my typical daily diet consists of Breakfast: 3 - 6 whole eggs, a post-workout protein shake, Lunch: Big Ass Salad with EVOO and chicken breast or 1 cup of ground bison and some veggies, Snack: a handful of nuts, and Dinner: some type of meat and some veggies, Night Snack: a spoonful of peanut or almond butter. So my question is what do I cut out to drop to those carb levels? Not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!
    Scott

janie is offline Senior Member
    I learned the same lesson as Emmie while doing Atkins. No wonder I struggled with my weight eating the crummy lowfat/high carb WOE recommended by the "experts"! I now normally have between 20-30gs of carb a day with an occasional splurge to 40. I've learned over the past 2 years that this is what my body can handle.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    For weight loss I try to stay as close to single digits as possible, sometimes nearing zero. It moves weight loss along nicely.

For some people ultra low carb intake causes a decrease in T4 to T3 thyroid hormone conversion. If you find yourself getting super cold and having zero energy on this regimen either super-low carb isn't for you or you need to supplement T3.

Low-low carb is also not great for women with hypothalamic amenorrhea who want to become fertile.

Personally, I love it.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I did it for six months and dropped 85 pounds, staying under 20g/day.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sws223 View Post
    I think I need to hit the 50 g or less numbers as well. I've been following a primal diet for about 3 months now. My average daily carb totals are at 94g, fiber 25g, & sugar at 32g. For me these numbers are drastically lower than what I consumed on a traditional bodybuilding diet but I seem to be stalled as well. I've cut out grains completely, I have an occasional sweet potato, I might eat some beans in a cup of chilli once in awhile (once a month maybe). Currently my typical daily diet consists of Breakfast: 3 - 6 whole eggs, a post-workout protein shake, Lunch: Big Ass Salad with EVOO and chicken breast or 1 cup of ground bison and some veggies, Snack: a handful of nuts, and Dinner: some type of meat and some veggies, Night Snack: a spoonful of peanut or almond butter. So my question is what do I cut out to drop to those carb levels? Not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!
    Scott

Not sure how you're hitting 94 grams of carbs w/what you've listed for a typical day? What's in the protein shake?

Mica is offline Member
    Do you bloat or gain when you increase the carbs after going VLC or ZC?

sws223 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Not sure how you're hitting 94 grams of carbs w/what you've listed for a typical day? What's in the protein shake?
    The protein shake has 4g carbs w/ 1g sugar and I mix w/ water or unsweetened almond milk. I track my daily nutrition with an iphone app called Tap & Track. I input the majority of the nutritional data myself which I got from product labels, searching their database, fitday, and bodybuilding.com's database. I tracked my nutrition with that app and with fitday for about 2 weeks and the numbers were very close so I opted to continue with the iphone app which is quite convenient. Perhaps I'm just eating too large of a salad (tends to be about a firm 6 cups) or too large of veggie portion sizes. Veggies tend to have such low calorie counts, excluding taters, squash and such, that I figured I could eat fairly large servings. Also the 94g was the carb total average over a one month period. I guess I'm confused as to how someone limits themselves to 50g or less per day. What are the carb sources that are consumed with each meal including portion sizes? My guess is that those holding themselves to those levels ar not really consuming any carbs at all really and that their diet is centered around protein source and fat. I'm not totally new to eating clean I've been following a clean diet for about 2.5 yrs. I have also read all the intro primal articles many numerous times.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sws223 View Post
    The protein shake has 4g carbs w/ 1g sugar and I mix w/ water or unsweetened almond milk. I track my daily nutrition with an iphone app called Tap & Track. I input the majority of the nutritional data myself which I got from product labels, searching their database, fitday, and bodybuilding.com's database. I tracked my nutrition with that app and with fitday for about 2 weeks and the numbers were very close so I opted to continue with the iphone app which is quite convenient. Perhaps I'm just eating too large of a salad (tends to be about a firm 6 cups) or too large of veggie portion sizes. Veggies tend to have such low calorie counts, excluding taters, squash and such, that I figured I could eat fairly large servings. Also the 94g was the carb total average over a one month period. I guess I'm confused as to how someone limits themselves to 50g or less per day. What are the carb sources that are consumed with each meal including portion sizes? My guess is that those holding themselves to those levels ar not really consuming any carbs at all really and that their diet is centered around protein source and fat. I'm not totally new to eating clean I've been following a clean diet for about 2.5 yrs. I have also read all the intro primal articles many numerous times.

Thanks Again,
    Scott
    Yeah, when I do 50g of carbs or less a day I'm not eating huge portions of veggies. Maybe cut the salad down a little and use veggies that are lower in carbs-you mentioned taters and squash...those have more than leafy greens and such. If you're stalled, have you tried IF'ing? That might get things moving again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast