Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit page

ctgirl82 Guest

Shop Now

So I contacted my local Crossfit affiliate today, and while they are not very close, I really want to start training there. I made an appointment to meet with them on Wednesday to get an evalutation and tour the facility.

I am nervous and excited.

For those of you who do Crossfit, is it awesome? Any advice? Will I see results?

pulse38echo Guest

its all what you out into it, crossfit is go until you puke

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I have been doing Crossfit for about 3 months now.

It's way different than anything I've ever done before, and much much harder.

There's something a bit addictive about it, in the fact that it's scary, extremely difficult, and fun all at the same time.

The competitive nature also gives it a nice twist.

I have been going with my wife and a friend of mine, and it has become almost a social event mixed with an incredible workout.

It still hasn't gotten easy for me, and I don't think it ever really will. I still get kind of nervous before every workout... but it's still really fun... in a weird kind of way

It pushes you way harder than you'd ever think to go on your own.

For example. My last workout was:

- 4 cleans at 10 pounds over my bodyweight. (Cleans = picking up a weight from the ground to resting on the front of your shoulders.)

- 10 burpees. (Burpees = Falling down into a pushup, then jumping back up into a jumping jack position.)

And you did that 4 times.

The person who did it the fastest "won."

And that was after we did our 5 rep max in back squats.

Pretty nuts.

But somehow really fun

I hope you go and have a great time!

-Sean

kjake55 Guest

It's totally awesome! I've been training for almost a year now and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Advice, don't go with half a mind or half a heart...it's what you put into it but if you're not putting 100% then you'll get nothing out of it but sore muscles.

As far as seeing results, yes after a while. I felt them first, just feeling stronger doing certain activities but the other day my husband told me that Michele Obama would be jealous of my arms! :-) So I geuss HE see's results.

Post back after your session on Wednesday and let us know what you think. I think you'll love it!

Travis G Guest

The idea of crossfit is to be able to do it w/ minimal equipment. My advice is to just do it at your local gym. You'll get some looks, but you'll get the results w/o the extra travel. Just make sure that you really know what intesity really is before hand...

ctgirl82 Guest

Travis, have never done Crossfit before, so I think training at the affiliate with trainers wil be my best bet. I need to learn how to do it, and this affiliate offers a 4 week ramp-up program where they get you ready to start doing the WOD's.

I will post back after I go on Wednesday!

Thanks everyone!

Geoff is offline Member

How much recovery did you all need at the outset of your Crossfit training? I did an introductory workout at my local Crossfit facility and found it dug a deep hole that took me a long time from which to recover. Much longer than my standard weight lifting workout.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Geoff,

I felt like I'd fallen off of a 2 story building and landed on my back for the first 2 weeks or so.

It was hard to move.

Now, I still get sore, but closer to the level that I used to get with a more traditional "bodybuilding/weightlifting" style workout.

-Sean

Steve-in-MN is offline Member

DON'T FEAR IT! IT'S A BLAST!

I've been CF'ing at a local affiliate since April. You're right to start out at a CF affiliate; unless you have a fair amount of olympic weightlifting experience, the coaching you'll receive at the affiliate will be invaluable. Agree with the above comments, with a slightly different take on the effort to expect. It's true that you'll get out what you put in, but even 70% effort in Crossfit will give you better results than 100% effort in a lot of other exercise routines. You don't have to drive yourself to the verge of puking each session to benefit. It's great that you're taking advantage of the ramp-up program. But even after that, you can and will scale the workouts to fit your skill and fitness level. For example, say you're doing the WOD that Sean did above, and you are doing cleans with a PVC pipe instead of bodyweight + 10lbs, and you have to stop halfway through the last 2 burpee sets to catch your breath before finishing them. And you get the slowest time in the gym. You'll still get congrats from the others on finishing the WOD, and you'll still be sore the next day if you're working reasonably hard. The most important thing is to stick with it, make sure you're going regularly (3-4 times a week is great, but even 2 times a week will get you substantial results in the beginning). As your comfort with the movements increases and your body adjusts to the met-con workouts you'll find yourself naturally ramping up the intensity too. As for results - Primal Blueprint nutrition and Crossfit is a magic combination. I've dropped about 15 pounds and 5% bodyfat, and I feel fantastic. Have fun and I'll look forward to reading your report after your intro!

Geoff - to answer your question, I needed a lot of recovery at the outset. The (jumping) kipping pullups in my introductory class gave me back spasms later that night, and I was fighting tendonitis in my foot and achilles for the first 3 months. I had to do a lot of icing and stretching on my own to manage it. As you go, your body gradually adjusts and your mindset adjusts too - you start to accept that you are never fully recovered from the last workout when you start the next. But you also learn that even if you're sore as hell when you walk in for the next WOD, you'll still be able to do it. The immediate reward is the feeling you have when you're done with a WOD. It's an immensely satisfying feeling of accomplishment; I always walk out of there feeling like celebrating. And of course there's the longer term rewards of doing your first unassisted kipping pullups, your first WOD as prescribed, etc. (not to mention the changes you'll see in the mirror).

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

The more and more I read about Crossfit the more I get intrigued. Unfortunately in an extremely untrendy small town it'll probably catch on in about 10 years.

I grok, therefore I am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast