Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting my mother and father page

youngrokthin is offline Junior Member

Converting my mother and father

Primal Fuel
    I recently moved back home from school where I had been eating well and doing well with a primal lifestyle. I'm trying to convince my parents to convert too, because I care about them and because it's really hard to avoid breads and ice cream and non-organic cheeses that my mom buys! (ugh!) I carpool with my mom to work, so I usually make us a primal breakfast and a primal lunch, but my dad doesn't cook and usually eats things like deli meat sandwiches, cereal, hot dogs, chocolate ice cream, potato chips, tortilla chips with salsa, etc. (easy-to-prepare junk food.)I don't want to prepare him a lunch for every day because I don't think he would appreciate being dependent on me for that, and he should be able to decide what [healthy] things he wants to eat. What are some things I could have my mom buy for my dad to eat/prepare for himself at home that is easy to prepare and NOT junk food? I think she wouldn't mind paying more for quality foods if she didn't have to buy all of this junk food for my dad.

thanks!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Your father is a big boy and can make decisions about his own health.

Lead by example, make The Primal Blueprint available and then back off. I'm doing this in reverse...57 yo mom trying to influence college age and young adult children. So far 2 out if 3 get it, the third doesn't care (yet).

Grizz is offline Banned
    Show him my links from Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis below my message. He won't believe you, but he might believe in Dr. Davis. He has to decide on his himself, and those links from Dr. Davis are extremely convincing.

Also read my research on Vitamin D.

Grizz

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Buy them the book. Other than that, remember that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink....and shoving their head underneath usually only drowns them. You can really only make decisions for you.

As for things you can buy your mom. Um, meat...veggies...fruit. I think the PB cookbook would be a great gift. I LOVE our copy and it makes deciding what to have for dinner easy.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

runman1954 is offline Member
    I have to say that when someone comes across and preachy and perhaps a little snooty with a lifestyle change and expects everyone else to convert, for me, it's a turn off. I've always been more impressed with those who walk the walk rather then talk the talk. Lead by example, then when asked how you do it, you can expound from there. Besides, there will always be people who don't want to make those changes no matter what you do for them. They are adults, let them make their choices.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runman1954 View Post
    I have to say that when someone comes across and preachy and perhaps a little snooty with a lifestyle change and expects everyone else to convert, for me, it's a turn off. I've always been more impressed with those who walk the walk rather then talk the talk. Lead by example, then when asked how you do it, you can expound from there. Besides, there will always be people who don't want to make those changes no matter what you do for them. They are adults, let them make their choices.
    yep, this.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    3rd runman's post (can you say that?)
    Just the wording of the title "Converting..." makes it appear like you're a little too emotionally involved. Eating healthy and exercising shouldn't be a religion.
    A good starting point that isn't as dramatic could be telling them to eat more vegetables and lean meats while removing sugar and processed foods. This is very reasonable advice and doesn't have the "fad" appearance of going against worldwide recommendations that whole grains are healthy.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    The zeal of the newly converted can be a real turnoff. Lead by example. Make some really awesome primal meals, preferably with bacon Give your dad some of the leftovers for lunch. Maybe he'll notice that he doesn't crash in the afternoons. Another idea that might work with parents. Whatever bad habit you had that drove them crazy (e.g., not taking out the trash, leaving your dirty dishes in the sink, whatever), do it with zeal and when they notice attribute it to the energy you have from primal ha ha.

What seems to be working with my husband is bacon, seeing me feeling better, yummy dishes with leftovers, snacks that he'll eat. Today, I'm making truffles from the cookbook and his favorite stuffed jalapenos but all primal. We'll see how that works

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I was watching my mother prepare things for X-Mas dinner and dumping cups of sugar into squash and cranberries. When I got home she offered me fudge sauce, macaroons, and shortbread and there will be more candy and other things tomorrow. She has been overweight for nearly 25 years. She told me she weighed 190 at 5'6". I asked her how her last Heart Dr's appointment went and she said he put her on 3 new prescriptions. Great. It is so frustrating to just watch someone not care when I enjoy the way I eat and maintain a healthy weight. Isn't it more important than ever for her to fix the way she eats when she is in her 60's??

My goal is to look like some other people do and not a weight goal. Perhaps my family will really "get it" when I push myself harder (paleowise) and really develop a fit body. However. I don't know. My family saw me lose 30lbs with Atkins in 2004 when I got down to 125lbs at 5'5" and none of them ever went low-carb because of the "risk of a heart attack" that the Atkins diet was associated with.

I don't get it. It's more than appearances it's health!!

youngrokthin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    3rd runman's post (can you say that?)
    Just the wording of the title "Converting..." makes it appear like you're a little too emotionally involved. Eating healthy and exercising shouldn't be a religion.
    A good starting point that isn't as dramatic could be telling them to eat more vegetables and lean meats while removing sugar and processed foods. This is very reasonable advice and doesn't have the "fad" appearance of going against worldwide recommendations that whole grains are healthy.
    yeah, I thought of that after I hit "post" but couldn't figure out how to change it! I didn't really intend on this post having the implications that "convert" comes with.
    Thanks for the advice. That's a good idea. Maybe I'll just buy my own food sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast