Thread: not sure where to put this page

lrpurro is offline Junior Member

not sure where to put this

Primal Fuel
    but npr put PB on a "blacklist" of worst/most unhealthy cookbooks!

well, actually, the article is written by Physicians For Responsible Medicine and appeared to be wholeheartedly endorsed by npr.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/reports/f...ooks_2010.html

I think they need to be bombarded with primal success stories!

Lisa
    Last edited by lrpurro; 12-23-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    lrpurro,

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie, but this riled me up! Below is the email I sent to the PCRM:

Hello,

I'm sure you've heard from a few unhappy Primal Blueprint folks about listing Mark Sisson's cookbook on your 5 worst list, but I'd like to respond.

The review strikes me as one written by someone who hasn't even cracked open the book. Have you looked inside? I have been making recipes from it for a few weeks now and in many ways it is just like what I ate before, but without the carbs: Coconut Chicken Curry (no rice, or you can make Cauliflower "Rice"), Slow-Cooked Chicken with veggies in a crockpot, Pumpkin Nut Muffins (made with coconut flour, and super tasty!). I'd like to know what is so unhealthy about that? No sugar, more veggies, fruit, nuts, no processed foods. Isn't that how you guys are trying to get us to eat anyway?

In three weeks of this new lifestyle, I have lost 4 pounds that years of exercise 5 times a week and a "healthy" standard American diet couldn't budge. In fact, even though I am more active and eat better than ever before in my life, I was adding a pound a year. I decided that was no longer acceptable.

The thing is, my husband is a physician. I worried that he would think I was crazy. But he happily read Gary Taubes's book Why We Get Fat and told me that it was all medically and scientifically sound. We have been thrilled with the Primal/Paleo lifestyle ever since.

As someone who works in marketing, I get it. You have to make headlines and sensationalize a little bit to grab attention. But you should at least be familiar with your target so you can't be accused of a straw man argument. Before you claim that Primal/Paleo isn't based on evidence, you should probably acquaint yourself with it. Here's some for you, it's just a start: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/531007_2

But for me, the biggest damning piece of evidence is that the American public has only grown fatter and more unhealthy with the advice of conventional wisdom enablers like the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. It seems to me that responsible physicians put the evidence before their opinions, and clearly, that's not what your organization is about.

Thank you for your time,

(Buttercup)

mizski is offline Senior Member
    ...a recent study funded by the National Institutes of Health found that a low-carbohydrate diet based on animal food sources increases mortality risk from all causes, including cancer and heart disease.
    I really do wish they put a link to this study to back up this statement. From reading the author's reviews it is clear that they are written with a low fat, plant-based only foods bias. What really discredited this review IMO was clicking on the link at the bottom for the best cookbooks of the past decade. Skinny Bitch was #3 (???) along with other vegan cookbooks. So there you go. It's another useless review.

p.s. I LOVE the Gordon Ramsay F-Word cookbook.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    lrpurro,

Maybe it's because I'm a newbie, but this riled me up! Below is the email I sent to the PCRM:

Hello,

I'm sure you've heard from a few unhappy Primal Blueprint folks about listing Mark Sisson's cookbook on your 5 worst list, but I'd like to respond.

The review strikes me as one written by someone who hasn't even cracked open the book. Have you looked inside? I have been making recipes from it for a few weeks now and in many ways it is just like what I ate before, but without the carbs: Coconut Chicken Curry (no rice, or you can make Cauliflower "Rice"), Slow-Cooked Chicken with veggies in a crockpot, Pumpkin Nut Muffins (made with coconut flour, and super tasty!). I'd like to know what is so unhealthy about that? No sugar, more veggies, fruit, nuts, no processed foods. Isn't that how you guys are trying to get us to eat anyway?

In three weeks of this new lifestyle, I have lost 4 pounds that years of exercise 5 times a week and a "healthy" standard American diet couldn't budge. In fact, even though I am more active and eat better than ever before in my life, I was adding a pound a year. I decided that was no longer acceptable.

The thing is, my husband is a physician. I worried that he would think I was crazy. But he happily read Gary Taubes's book Why We Get Fat and told me that it was all medically and scientifically sound. We have been thrilled with the Primal/Paleo lifestyle ever since.

As someone who works in marketing, I get it. You have to make headlines and sensationalize a little bit to grab attention. But you should at least be familiar with your target so you can't be accused of a straw man argument. Before you claim that Primal/Paleo isn't based on evidence, you should probably acquaint yourself with it. Here's some for you, it's just a start: Medscape: Medscape Access

But for me, the biggest damning piece of evidence is that the American public has only grown fatter and more unhealthy with the advice of conventional wisdom enablers like the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. It seems to me that responsible physicians put the evidence before their opinions, and clearly, that's not what your organization is about.

Thank you for your time,

(Buttercup)

Very nicely put! I just don't see how people can think that eating more fruits and veggies can be harmful!
    Health is Wealth!

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    No mystery here. All cookbooks in their "Best of the Decade" are veg*n cookbooks. If you'd like to work on your gag reflex, here is a link for ya: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/4foodgroups.pdf

This organization should change their name, as it is misleading. Not that I have anything against their food choices, but their way does not work for me. It made me sick. So these people need to stop calling themselves "responsible" and start calling themselves what they are. V e g a n s. Ones who think that their diet will work for everyone.

wonderingwho is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    lrpurro,

Hello,

As someone who works in marketing, I get it. You have to make headlines and sensationalize a little bit to grab attention. But you should at least be familiar with your target so you can't be accused of a straw man argument. Before you claim that Primal/Paleo isn't based on evidence, you should probably acquaint yourself with it. Here's some for you, it's just a start: Medscape: Medscape Access

Thank you for your time,

(Buttercup)
    Right! your statement: "the biggest damning piece of evidence is that the American public has only grown fatter and more unhealthy with the advice....". I'm always making mental note of same. While conventional doctors virtually sit by and watch the ill and unfit parade into their offices they seem to relish that situation and never ballyhoo what adding vitamin therapy, giving up carbs... Why would doctors want the public to take the advice of alternatives out there? What would they do for business?

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    Skinny Bitch was #3 (???)
    Someone gave me this book a few years ago (if I didn't know the person better, I would've taken it as a passive-aggressive insult) - the 'recipes' were basically shit like:
    how to make a vegan sandwich:
    2 pieces of bread
    VEGAN bacon
    VEGAN mayonnaise
    VEGAN cheese

cjnovus is offline Junior Member
    I should replace the wheel and tire's size

PrimalDog is offline Junior Member
    Primaldog says:

What did everybody expect? I have convinced - let's see- 5 people to go primal. This is in response to them seeing me change in front of their eyes in 8 weeks. I didn't tell them what I did until I was satisfied with my progress and my ease of adaptability to the primal plan. I lost 16 pounds in 8 weeks. One of my new converts lost 2 pounds in 4 days, and another lost 26 pounds in 3 weeks. Mind you he starts at a body weight of 467 pounds and has a BMI of 72. However this is the ONLY thing that has worked for him. I'll keep you guys informed on his progress. Another one has gone from just 'cute' to "unbelievably beautiful" and "stunning" in 4 weeks (actual quotes yesterday from women in a department store). And what does CW have to offer? the Politically Correct for Recurring Mediocrity doesn't even try it. Good science there guys. Logically it's called a blind statement (not supported by anything) and thus carries no merit. Ignore the Korgs, or laugh at them. Or wave at them as they take the Quad Bypass to Stentville. either way why should I let it spoil my evening?
    - how does one escape living in darkness?
    Primaldog: first understand that Fear is the only darkness..

NomadRip is offline Member
    I believe this is the same veg*n group talked about in the movie Fat-Head (which is a must-see!)
    -James
    Just a n00b