Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Indian Food Paleo? page

hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member

Is Indian Food Paleo?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to figure this out, but I just can't seem to find it. Is Indian food (aside from naan, lentils, and rice) from any average restaurant paleo?

I'm really craving something spicy and delicious from an Indian restaurant!

Thanks!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Restaurant food is almost guaranteed to be cooked in nasty oils (although Indian places do seem better about using ghee). Other than that, most curries are pretty primal. Rice is served on the side, so you can just avoid it.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

peril is offline Senior Member
    There is some use of sugars (palm sugar and tamarind pulp) and some dishes use a lot of almond meal (high in O6) but they're mostly pretty good. I find a lot of Indian restaurant dishes are all sauce and little meat, very unlike what I've had in India or the recipes I have. I tend to avoid those places as lack of authenticity = greater risk of non-primal fats etc
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    A decent Indian resto in my town says they have nothing gluten free.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

strom is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the middle of a 2 day flare up (hopefully that's all) triggered by Indian food. Tasted good though. Probably the spices don't agree with me or some gluten in the meat.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    No. But it is really good isn't it. I suppose certain dishes will work like tandoori chicken and lamb, saag, etc., Oh god I'm getting hungry now. I miss Indian food in London - now that was some grub.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    A decent Indian resto in my town says they have nothing gluten free.
    eww...i'd stay away from that place. the owner of the indian restaurant that i like says that almost everything is gluten free. he would know, as he makes it all from scratch. i guess it just depends on the restaurant. you can try going in during a slower time and inquire about the ingredients in different dishes. if the person doesn't know, or can't find out within a reasonable time, it's unlikely you want to eat there.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    My favorite Indian place is damn close to primal. I've also learned to make a few of my favorite Indian dishes at home and they're pretty damn primal.

nutritionut is offline Member
    I am Indian, and luckily I don't miss eating Indian food too much.

I'd say the best thing to take from Indian food is the spicing: cumin, coriander, curry leaves, termeric, ginger, cardamom, fennel, hing (asafoetida), etc. Then go add them to vegetables, eggs, meat.
    Last edited by nutritionut; 12-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    We used to eat Indian food often but not so much anymore. You have to watch out with curry if you have allergies to dairy/lactose. Some curries are coconut milk based which is fine but then again some are yogurt based which could have lactose in it. Your best bet is to make it yourself since you really aren't sure what ingredients and oil they are using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast