Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating butter sticks? page

dallison is offline Junior Member

Eating butter sticks?

Hi everyone! My husband and I have read the book, and we really think this all makes a lot of sense. But I just need some help.. when my hubby gets hungry and thinks i'm not cooking our meals fatty enough, he will eat butter sticks. I know that butter is good for us... but is it ok to eat that much of it? I guess it is, but it still bothers me. I just want to make sure he's being healthy.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think eating sticks of butter is healthy?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    How much does he eat at once, and how often?
    Is it pastured butter?

I'd say there are better fats he could choose (coconut oil or coconut cream concentrate come to mind), but he could also do much worse. At least he isn't reaching for a box of oreos.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

He eats maybe 1/4 of stick of butter I guess. I hope I don't sound ignorant, but based on Mark Sisson's primal diet, he thinks that butter is primal we use it to cook veggies, eggs, and steaks, basically everything. We use it all the time now, so please let me know if we are off base with being 'primal' in regards to fats. (Isn't butter an animal fat which is recommended?) (thank u for the suggestion for coconut oil though I should get some of that for him.)

just to clarify, we have cut out all grains, sugars, etc. focus mainly on fatty meats, veggies, and fruits. perhaps we are off base w/our thinking on 'fats' though.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Extemism is never a good thing.
    I don't think Mark's intention was to scare peop into another ED.
    Eat fat to your comfort level is the key. Forget the ratios.
    I cannot eat that amt of fat w/o heartburn and food sitting like lead in my stomach so am more moderate.....but still use full fat dairy, EVOO, CO and butter to taste.

canio6 Guest
    I'm new so I am sure people will correct me if wrong, but from what I have read some people avoid all dairy including butter. Also, emphasis is put on pastured butter much like it is on grass-fed meat. That said, is 1/4 stick of butter terrible? I wouldn't think so. Coconut oil is non-dairy and has other benefits which is why many recommend it.

BarbeyGirl posted a note in the odds-n-ends forum about a sale on Coconut oil right now. I just ordered 2 quarts for half the price of one. It is a great deal.

I agree. He has a very fast metabolism, and gets hungry easily. I guess maybe it's ok for him... but I wouldn't do it either. But I just wanted to make sure he wasn't harming himself. It just seems weird to me.

So does everyone agree, if he feels extra hungry, is it ok for him to eat plain butter or scoops of CO if it doesn't bother his digestive system, and he doesn't get fat...

Also we eat a lot of dairy. Any thoughts on that ? i worry about that, but it seems that we need that to meat on his and my daughter's bones....

grokka is offline Senior Member
    You should probably eat fattier meals. Melt lots of butter over veggies. You'd be surprised how much they can soak up.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see no problem with it. 1/4 stick of butter is just 2 tablespoons=200 calories/22g fat. eating STICKS of butter might cause problems, but 2T is nothing compared to the amount of fat in my morning coffee! If it seems to make him feel full and he doesn't get cravings for carbs or unhealthy foods, it sounds like a win-win.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast