Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Aila's Primal Journey page 12

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    "If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich
    Aila, just spotted your sig quote. Love it!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Plateaus are normal and perfectly healthy and necessary after a significant weight loss, which you have definitely had!

Your body needs time to adjust to it's smaller size, just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll start dropping again. I plateau'd for about a year, so don't be too disheartened after only a month.

Good luck with your hectic schedule, I hope the outcome of your new project is rewarding.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    "(Not) wasting away again in Plateauville..."

Well, this week's Wednesday weigh-in I was 205.1. I remain convinced that there is an evolutionarily-based explanation for the phenomenon of plateau, as frustrating as it is. I know I'm eating really well and nourishing my body. I'm moving more and more. I believe it's just a matter of time, and I have all the time in the world since I will eat this way the rest of my life.

Still, I'd love for Mark to do a blog post on this - not just "how to break through a plateau" (essentially, "follow the PB to the T!") but rather an summary of whatever studies exist that help explain the phenomenon. Until then, I'm just telling myself my body needs a rest, like you say, Em. Not to mention that it seems from cruising the forum that a lot of us have had this experience of late. At the risk of overlooking my own confirmatory bias, perhaps there's something to seasonal shift?

Away from the scale, yesterday when getting dressed my D11 said, "Mom, you have to buy some new pants!" And she was right. Yet another pair, blue jeans this time, nearly fell right off my booty several times during the day. I had really been wanting to get below 200 before buying some new things, but it seems I can't wait, I've run out of decent pants that fit. So after school I took both daughters to shop with me - they were so excited, and it was really fun to see their support! (Including their repeated attempts to get video of my pants falling down...NOT coming to a YouTube near you!!). I bought a pair of black slacks suitable for work, black jeans, and blue jeans. HA! Even if the scale isn't budging, I'm now in a 16P in pants, and 14/16 in tops. Wearing one of these new outfits today and feeling cute!!

In other news, I shared with my staff the info about sitting all day (plus infographic) from Mark's recent post, and also about the Gokhale class I took recently. Feeling good about role modeling positive, healthy behaviors. Really gave me a boost when one of them commented on my changing appearance! Patrick, the walking meetings are awesome! For now, staff has only taken me up on them for 1:1 meetings. There's a nice-ish path near our office and the weather has been getting sunnier, so that's incentive. Lots of folks here are now more aware of their vitamin D deficiencies, too, so they want to get out in the sun. I even did one walking meeting barefoot!!

Very excited that I will be attending a "Paleo Talk Seminar" tomorrow taught by Everyday Paleo's Sarah Fragoso at a local Crossfit, on all things cooking and eating paleo, including (and what I'm attending for, mostly) how to transition your kids to a paleo diet. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks, Jenny, that's been a favorite quote of mine for a long time, and is very a propos of this choice to live primally!

My work stuff heated up this week, I felt very accomplished and got a lot of kudos, but it also put my other big work project on the back burner (that plus D11's stomach virus...) so I'm a bit stressed about catching up. Right away I can see my desires to stay up late - and lose critical sleep hours - to get it all done. Got to resist those forces...

Sorry I've been scarce 'round your journals. I'm reading and keeping up when I can... Primal hugs to everyone!
    48 yo single mom
    5'2", goal weight 110lb/50kg
    Healing from a very well-intentioned (but disastrous) near lifelong vegetarianism...

183.0 - CW FIFTY POUNDS RELEASED!
    233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Like you, I'd be really curious to see any studies about plateaus. I somehow doubt there actually ARE any that would be applicable, though. As it is, so many diet studies are hampered by "Well the subjects might be cheating/lying" assumptions... (which may or may not be true)

Repeated attempts to get video. Oh my. Yeah, I would wager for a good chunk of kids nowadays, certain phases in life are alll about getting footage for YouTube.

Oh yeah, so you liked the Gokhale class, I take it? I need to order that DVD.

Yay for 1:1s as walking meetings. Admittedly it's probably easier to do a 1:1 while walking than an entire crowd that wouldn't be able to make eye contact. You could always switch the group meetings over to standing meetings, though. Keeps people more awake, too.

How'd the Fragoso talk go? I love her book. I have only heard a few podcasts though, just don't have time. Wish I could get automatic transcripts or something. (I read faster than they talk...)

Stomach virus! Yargh! Hope that's all resolved.

No sweat about not attending to other journals. Speaking for myself, I'm not going anywhere and hopefully all my big medical news has drawn to a healthy close. :D
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

RachelZoe is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

I just wanted to say hello and let you know how much I've enjoyed reading your journal. I'm also a single mom, age 44. I'm back on Primal after trying a stint with counting calories, and I'm stuck in a little plateau of my own. I've decided to just embrace it as I know that eating this way makes me ultimately feel better. Just going to keep eating healthy whole foods, working on my vitamin D levels, sleeping, and walking, especially since the weather should be getting nicer one of these days.

I agree that I'd love a post about not just how to break a plateau, but why they happen and how to mentally accept the challenge of being on a plateau and not throwing in the towel.

Rachel

"be patient, get healthy, the rest will follow" Wise words, Ms. NourishedEm! (plucked these from your comment on Diana's journal, and it looks like maybe you were quoting someone? But they practically leapt up off the page at me, so I thought I'd reproduce them here...)

Lunch today:

Lovely rib eye smothered in garlic, cooked with a little fresh sage from my CSA and some Kerrygold butter, with wilted CSA chard, and a fried egg FRESHLY - yep, bare moments before! - laid egg, courtesy of Ms. Rosie the Rhode Island Red. A little plain kefir over ice completes the meal.

Imagine my surprise to pop on to post this, and see that today's MDA post has garlicky shrimp and Swiss chard!

Hi Jenny! I have to head out but I'll be back later to give you my feedback on the Paleo Talk Seminar.

Nice to meet you, Rachel!

Back soon!
    48 yo single mom
    Healing from a very well-intentioned (but disastrous) near lifelong vegetarianism...

233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Aila View Post
    "be patient, get healthy, the rest will follow" Wise words, Ms. NourishedEm! (plucked these from your comment on Diana's journal, and it looks like maybe you were quoting someone? But they practically leapt up off the page at me, so I thought I'd reproduce them here...)
    Not a quote, but a cumulation of everything I've learned over the past few months. This is one of the few examples in my life where I've been able to follow my own advice!

Your lunch looks amazing, you can't get eggs much fresher than that!

Back to finish my earlier post...

My reportback from last weekend's Paleo Talk Seminar with Sarah from Everyday Paleo and Chrissy from Growing Up Paleo:

What I liked:
    1. Being around a bunch of Paleo/Primal folk. Yup, it's just that validating.

2. I met a local acupuncturist who seems really cool. I'll likely try her out.

3. Sarah's ebullient energy and "you can do this!" attitude overall, and especially about getting your kids to eat Paleo. (FYI her version of Paleo is in fact quite permissive of various things that are otherwise Paleo no-nos (but not, of course, Primal no-nos) such as butter and heavy cream. She mostly has a "do what works" kind of perspective.)

4. My big take away: CLEAN OUT THE CUPBOARDS of all the crap. This, I still have not done. In fact I am writing this at the dining room table about a foot away from D8's Easter basket, and with a freezer full of Girl Scout cookie boxes. Really, this is an essential step. Sarah said she had pushback from her kids - basically eating a bite of meat, a bite of veg, and then whining for ice cream - until she just got rid of all of that from the house. This makes sense to me.

5. Sarah shared that what she tells people is "I don't eat processed foods." Just that simple. Love it.

6. Mostly, I felt really, really encouraged that if I just stick with this, my kids will come around, and they won't starve, and I just have to keep lovingly asserting that in our house, we are eating healthy foods (read: even if the rest of the world eats crap and thinks it's fine).

7. The whole day felt like a shot in the arm, with much needed reaffirmation that this WOE/WOL is very, very good for me.

8. And I came away with a cookbook! Everyday Paleo Cookbook (Honest, I'm not marketing for her - just making it easy for you to find the cookbook if you're so inclined!)

What I'd advise/improve:
    1. I was more familiar with Sarah's work than with Chrissy's work, having made quite a few of the recipes off of Sarah's website. Chrissy's work focuses primarily on how to have a Paleo pregnancy and post-partum experience (esp. breastfeeding), and how to raise a child with a Paleo diet right from the get go. Since I'm not having any more babies, and since mine weren't Paleo from the beginning, her parts of the talk were much less relevant to me.

2. More cooking demos and recipes. Sarah and Chrissy started the day making a super simple dish in the slow cooker (and they raffled off the slow cooker at the end of the day, too!) - with chicken, broth, coconut milk, and carrots as I recall...and it just cooked along all day until we ate it at the end of the seminar. This was great, and I'd recommend that they do more demos like this with easy meals, and also kids' lunches.

3. At the outset of the day, Sarah said that she is not a scientist, and so she wasn't going to talk about all of the research about WHY to go Paleo. Cutely, she said, "Robb [Wolf] is the WHY, and we are the HOW." This is an accurate assessment, and it is in my opinion the strength of such a seminar/workshop. At the same time, I'm rather a geek and I *like* the science. It's why I love Mark, of course, and also Chris Kresser of The Healthy Skeptic. And Kurt Harris of Archevore. I think an ideal workshop would be half a day of the science, and half a day of the application thereof (cooking demo, exercise demo etc).

Overall, it was worth it to be around Paleo/Primal folk, get some new ideas, and feel reinvigorated. And it made me really, really determined to make it to PrimalCon 2012!!

In other Primal news:
    1. Today I bought a muffin tin (had to chuck my old ones because they were all non-stick, and I've gotten rid of all non-stick cookware because I don't want to be eating plastic - gross!), a jar opener (yes, I need one! Waah...), and a mandoline, this last as recommended at the seminar. Hoping to get my kids into slicing veg, etc - without slicing their fingers, of course! I'm going to make Egg Cupcakes in the new muffin tins - great for grab-and-go breakfasts.

2. Tomorrow night I am going for a float at Float On. I am so excited! I have not been in a floatation tank in years, and I am really looking forward to what has in the past been for me a deeply meditative and healing experience. I can't believe this place opened up a few months ago, pretty close to my house, and I'm only now just learning about it. Not to mention that I love the Modest Mouse song of the same name.

3. My new working theory about plateaux (and heck, if you can't find any science to explain a phenomenon (And Jenny, I suspect you are right about why there might not be any regarding plateaus) then why not just choose to believe something until it's disproven? ) is that: since your body is releasing lots of toxins that have been stored in the fat cells as you lose weight, and those toxins circulate around for a while until they are eliminated or reabsorbed, then maybe a plateau is like your body saying, "Woah, wait up! Give me a minute to do some bioremediation here before you dump more poison in this here superfund site..." (Please read with your version of a construction worker-esque accent...) What do y'all think - does my theory have traction?

I should have known that you deserved all the credit for those wise words, Em. And yes, I'm lucky to have my hens just steps out the kitchen door!

Rachel, I love your plan:
    keep eating healthy whole foods, working on my vitamin D levels, sleeping, and walking, especially since the weather should be getting nicer one of these days.
    What single mom has time to count calories?!?

Happy long weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by Aila; 05-28-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: oh, you know, it's always something...
    48 yo single mom

233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

Feeding baby and typing on phone so can't type much, but -- thanks for the summary! Sounds like a really great experience. I like that”no processed foods" thing, it's a good catchall, doesn't fcus people's attention on the grain aspect, and it'd be tough to argue with.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

3. My new working theory about plateaux (and heck, if you can't find any science to explain a phenomenon (And Jenny, I suspect you are right about why there might not be any regarding plateaus) then why not just choose to believe something until it's disproven? ) is that: since your body is releasing lots of toxins that have been stored in the fat cells as you lose weight, and those toxins circulate around for a while until they are eliminated or reabsorbed, then maybe a plateau is like your body saying, "Woah, wait up! Give me a minute to do some bioremediation here before you dump more poison in this here superfund site..." (Please read with your version of a construction worker-esque accent...) What do y'all think - does my theory have traction?
    I think it does, it makes a lot of sense actually. It also makes me feel a little better about it. if my body is just 'cleaning house' instead of refusing to cooperate, I'm more likely to forgive it!

I should have known that you deserved all the credit for those wise words, Em.
    Aw shucks

Enjoy your long weekend, are you going to use the time to clear out your freezer?

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast