Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... page

Izzylu is offline Senior Member

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it...

Shop Now
    ... I've been having problems with yeast infections and was wondering if any of you ladies out there experienced this within the first few months of going primal. I have been 99.999% primal for the last three months and everything I read on the subject says this is what I should do to AVOID them. I only have one piece of fruit a day and it's usually an apple. I've changed my soap and will now change my sponge too. I just don't get it! Maybe my body's ph is off? How do I know and how do I get it back on track? So weird! Oh, and I always take my morning probiotic. I have no health insurance so I'm trying to avoid the "professionals" but this is the third one in four months. Ugg. Maybe still detoxing? I wasn't a horrible eater before but do you think it is still working itself out of my system? HELP!
    Strong is the new Skinny!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    ATkins book has a few pages on yeast. I tried to find it online so I could link it for you but no luck, see if you can get hold of a copy of the New Diet Revolution (2002) and read it. But basically he says mould can also trigger reactions. In addition to the high sugar and grain foods, which you will already be avoiding, he list the following as possibly causing a reaction, and advises giving them up for 4-6 weeks and seeing if htere is any improvement. If not, it is not yeast. If it does improve, experiment by reintroducing them one at a time and seeing which ones affect you.

cheese (except mozzarella and cream cheese)
    vinegar, soy sauce and other fermented condiments
    mushrooms
    sauerkraut
    sour cream
    peanuts, cashews & pistacchios (all nuts are prone to mould but these are the worst)
    smoked or cured foods
    beer, wine, spirits
    yeast containing vitamins (read labels carefully)
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My non-primal friend who sees only very conventional doctors was told by her GYN to not use soap at all to prevent future yeast infections--just wash with plain water. She hasn't had an infection since!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I agree lizch, soap is a killer. Not to mention, the Ph of soaps can greatly alter your vaginal Ph, which is what can cause things like unpleasant odors, taste, etc. I recommend that every woman give plain water a chance, even if you use soap on the rest of your body.

I have also been reading recently about women that are having great results with yeast infections by using coconut oil as a personal lubricant due to its antimicrobial properties.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Yep, I agree with the soap thing. Dr.Bonner's is what kicked it up last time so I changed soaps and washed only around the area with the new but I think I'll give it up completely. I'll look for that book. Thank you.

surely5 is offline Junior Member
    Good move regarding the soap. And I second supersellen's comment regarding coconut oil.

If the yeast infections are being caused by a gut flora imbalance, keep in mind that for some people it can take a long time (i.e. many many months) to get their gut back into balance. Which probiotic are you taking? Are you eating a variety of probiotic foods?

RaeSuzanne is offline Junior Member
    A great natural home remedy is garlic. You can find information about it online, but you simply peel a clove of garlic, secure it with a piece of string and insert. It can work wonders in just a matter of hours. Some sources say you might notice a taste of garlic in your mouth, but I did not.

Last month I had a yeast infection that did not respond to regular oral medication, but a clove of garlic did the trick overnight. I was a skeptic, but now I'm convinced.

Regarding the coconut oil, my boyfriend would get a kick out of that. He constantly teases about my "over use" of it anyway. If I broke it out during sex he would think I lost my mind. I'll have to be on the sly! lol

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    My doc said, in addition to "no soap", you can use acidophilus as a local probiotic to out-compete the yeast. Apply some of the powder from inside a pill ... She suggested FemDophilus.. Or just slather on some unsweetened yogurt. Felt weird but it did help!

Also, if it keeps happening, might want to get tested to confirm it IS a yeast infection. Reportedly bacterial vaginosis can feel pretty similar and fungicides just make it happier.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    My sister used yogurt or beer yeast (she was a home brewer). Just insert.
    The other issue is that women w elevated blood sugar get them more frequently.
    It may take a bit more time eating this way to resolve.
    Yogurt is a very inexpensive, available remedy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast