Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Julia Child's chicken liver mousse page

janie is offline Senior Member

Smile Julia Child's chicken liver mousse

Primal Fuel
    I hadn't made this in years. Basically butter, chicken livers, shallots, cognac, allspice, thyme & heavy cream. Delicious. It is amazing how many of my old recipes are now a fit for primal. I had abandoned them when I was following lowfat SAD.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Oh, she's all about the butter.

She lived an active life until age 91 too. Probably would have gone longer without the sugar and grains. It is very eye-opening to me to be able to return to a number of traditional recipes (especially French ones) and find them to be a fit for Primal. I wonder if anyone else has discovered that they could return to old favorites they thought they'd never be able to eat again...but can now that they have allowed fat back in their diets.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    She lived an active life until age 91 too. Probably would have gone longer without the sugar and grains. It is very eye-opening to me to be able to return to a number of traditional recipes (especially French ones) and find them to be a fit for Primal. I wonder if anyone else has discovered that they could return to old favorites they thought they'd never be able to eat again...but can now that they have allowed fat back in their diets.
    I've always cooked a lot of traditional dishes from various cultures. This is one of the reasons I've found adopting PB to bevery easy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I hadn't made this in years. Basically butter, chicken livers, shallots, cognac, allspice, thyme & heavy cream. Delicious. It is amazing how many of my old recipes are now a fit for primal. I had abandoned them when I was following lowfat SAD.
    Can you provide more detail on this? I'm sure I can find it online but ... I want you to do the work for me... preparation and such ... thanks

Sure. It is a fairly uncomplicated recipe, too.

1 lb (about 2 cups) chicken livers
    2T minced shallots or green onions
    2 T butter
    1/3 c. Madeira or Cognac
    1/4 c. whipping cream
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp pepper
    pinch of thyme
    1/2c (4 oz) butter

cut livers in chuncks, saute w/shallots or onions in 2 T butter for 2-3 minutes or until livers are stiffened but still rosy inside. Put into a blender or food processor. Pour the wine or cognac in the pan and boil down to approx 3T. Add it to the liver mixture. Also add cream and spices and blend into a smooth paste. Add 1/2c of melted butter and blend to incorporate.

She said to put it through a sieve at that point but I don't. After chilling, she packs into a mold but I don't do that either. I just put in in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator.

PandorasVise is offline Junior Member
    After christmas I am getting her cookbooks. She was an amazing woman. I remember watching her on TV instead of cartoons when I was a kid.

~Patty
    www.Primal30DayChallenge.com

After a trip to France in my youth I came home and cooked my way through her cookbooks! There is much of value in them today -- I just don't add flour if it is called for and I think the omission won't substantially hurt the dish (I used to be a chef) and, of course, I no longer make any of the dishes involving rice, pasta, sugar, etc. -- I know these are not good for me!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to make this, but I don't want to splurge on buying the alcohol (money is tight right now , would the recipe be ok without it or is there another substitute?

Also, I'm curious what primal people would serve this on? I know traditionally crackers, but I don't feel like an almond meal cracker would do for this.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This might sound a bit gross, but I've been working my way through various leafy greens to use instead of crackers for this kind of thing. I'm rather disappointed in the Boston Bib lettuce that I have at the moment, I find it bitter. I'll use thinly sliced, baked pieces of squash too if I'm ambitious enough to make them. Carrot slices maybe? It'd be yummy on tomatos I bet... I may have to make this soon!
    Last edited by ElaineC; 12-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast