Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with ice cream recipe page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

Please help with ice cream recipe

I have recently bought a fantastic ice cream maker and started to prepare homemade ice cream that turns out very well. My only concern is that the recipe is relatively high in sugar (roughly 100 g/1000 ml, which makes 8-10 g /serving. Other ingredients are heavy cream (450 ml), milk (250 ml) and two eggs. I do not know if it is possible to just reduce the amount of sugar without other modifications for it probably contributes to the consistency. Can I replace some of the sugar with eggs/egg yolks? I have no problems if the ice cream is less sweet, I only want to amintain the nice texture from the original recipe...
    Any suggestions??
    Thank you!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Technically speaking, ice cream isn't really a "primal" food - if "primalizing" it was your goal...

I would leave the recipe as is, maybe cut back some sugar if you want and give it a try. But it's ice cream - enjoy it as part of your 20 in the whole 80/20 rule.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't think sugar has anything to do with the texture of icecream. I think that comes from the custard formed from eggs and milk. So just cut way back on the sugar.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I make ice cream with 3 pints heavy cream, 6-12 egg yolks, and stevia equal to about 1 cup of sugar. Sugar does have a lot to do with the texture, it helps it not to freeze too hard. Fat does the same thing though, so this recipe works. I would also think it's healthier.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    I make ice cream with 3 pints heavy cream, 6-12 egg yolks, and stevia equal to about 1 cup of sugar. Sugar does have a lot to do with the texture, it helps it not to freeze too hard. Fat does the same thing though, so this recipe works. I would also think it's healthier.
    I do allow my kids to make ice cream every once in a while (more often when we were still getting raw milk and had loads of fresh cream!!). One recipe we use is from the Nourishing Traditions book which uses maple syrup for the sweetener.

But getting the crystals frozen in and making the ice cream hard is something we keep trying to solve. We've been told to use rum (or something like that) but haven't noticed a difference.

grokka, do you use the green powdered stevia? if so, how much do you use to "equal 1 cup of sugar"? I'd love to be able to let my kids have ice cream again. How bad can cream and egg yolks be for them? :-))

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I use the sweetleaf brand. One the container it says 2 tbsp = 1 cup sugar, which is why I got it cause all the other ones don't have conversions, haha. I just said the one cup because other sweeteners like truvia will have different conversion rates. You want your ice cream harder? Are you using an ice cream machine? If not, it is a great investment and not too pricy. Rum will make it softer because alcohol doesn't freeze. Of course, you can't give it to the kids...

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    is sweetleaf powder or liquid?

our ice cream turns out hard, which is why we added the rum (ha! i was right!). it is ok to give kids; i've researched that out.

we have an ice cream maker; love it!

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

girl scout is offline Senior Member
    I make a roasted banana ice cream with coconut milk and dates. I add a bit of gelatin to the mix and that seems to help with the hardness of the icecream.. Honey and maple work great too if you don't want to use straight sugar.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We made primal eggnog which i think could easily be turned into awesome ice cream. The only thing is I'm nervous about heating it up to form the custard. How do you stop it from turning lumpy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast