Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grain-free diet cured my BUNNY page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

grain-free diet cured my BUNNY

Shop Now
    When my husband and I got married in 2004 we were given two bunnies (a male and a female) that became very dear to us. The male one died in 2008. The female one continued to be healthy but she was relatively fat; we were told that this is to be expected and normal when they become older. Her typical food (we have studied quite a few books on rabbit/bunny keeping when we got them) was store-bought bunny food that mostly consists of grains in the morning and vegetables in the evening. In 2009, shortly after our daughter was born, the bunny`s health detoriated. He digestion was troubled, she became very dirty, she smelled awful, she lost a good part of her fur. She smelled so bad that we had to clean her cage daily, otherwise it was all too bad. She was so miserable that we allready considered if it would be better for her to have her put to sleep. My husband searched the internet on what might be helpful and eventually found the advice to completely eliminate the store bought food. We did just that and within days her digestion was as good as it could be. She stopped smelling, she wasn`t dirty anymore. Within a month her fur was perfect and shiny again. She lost weight and is very active, though she is
    6 1/2 years old now which is quite old for a bunny. She only eats hay and vegetables and other greens, the grains had nearly killed her...

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Just goes to show that grains are bad even for our little friends, my dog is currently on a grain and corn free diet.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Makes sense - how much grain would a bunny get in the wild really - only the seasonal stuff and not much of that either.

I am very careful what canned foods I feed my cats, the cheap ones have a lot of grain and fruit fillers - and as cats are obligate carnivores they cannot digest that stuff. And it makes their poo smell just vile! Ours get only the ones with no fillers and raw meat.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for feeding animals (including humans) species appropriate foods. Our bunny, however, currently get store bought rabbit food. The cats aren't on a grain free food yet, but they will be soon. They all seem to do fine with it. The dogs get grain free kibble.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I put my doggies on a primal diet, too. our 11-yo lab had serious arthritis 5 yrs ago and could hardly walk very far. She's been grain-free for perhaps 5-6 months (time flies when you're having fun, i tell ya!) and she is SO happy!! She, too, was very stinky at the beginning of this year to the point we could not stand to have her lay near us. All clean and pretty smelling now!

we have guinea pigs, too, and I shudder at what we were feeding them. The pellets were the worst so we've discontinued using them. they now just get alfalfa and fresh greens now. happy happy pigs!

Now the poor cats... I just can't take any more "caring" so they are getting conventional kibble. :-((

But besides the dogs, my energy is going in to feeding my 22 laying hens (new to us this year) so they will give us eggs throughout the winter! We were very pleased to pull 16 eggs from them yesterday! woot!!

Grizz is offline Banned
    This is an amazing and eye opening message thread. I forwarded this thread to everyone on my Email List.

We have a relative who feeds her dogs exclusively raw deer meat from hunting. Her freezer is filled with deer meat.

Grizz

Lina is offline Member
    My husband has followed PB since July and I officially started in late November. I put the cats on it in early November by purchasing Orijen grain free cat food. They seem to like it and I'm hoping it will help them lose a couple pounds since they're big fatties.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Orijen is a great food, its what I feed my cat as well. I used to raw feed my dogs, and I have to say the dog that was raised as a pup on raw food has a cast iron stomach and can eat anything without getting sick or an upset stomach. She's an utter princess in every other way. Raw feeding big dogs is alot of work, and I've gone back to kibble but its always quality, with no corn or wheat.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    We have a relative who feeds her dogs exclusively raw deer meat from hunting. Her freezer is filled with deer meat.

Grizz
    I hope they feed them more than just deer meat. bones and organs are also important. Deer meat was too rich for our dogs...gave them all the runs. But they love deer shoulder blades to gnaw on.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Melody is offline Senior Member
    My cat gets grain free kibble and raw organs/scrap meat our meat guy grinds and sells for pets. She lost a ton of weight when we switched her diet and stopped hunting in the yard too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast