Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pritikin Diet. page

britt007 is offline Member

Pritikin Diet.

Shop Now
    So, my mother (who has osteoporosis) was told by her new doctor to follow a Pritikin type diet. She was given a list of foods to eat liberally, sparingly, and never. I feel like its leaps and bounds above the SAD, however it really disagrees with the PB on the issues of grain and saturated fat.

Basically, she is supposed to eat 2 fruits a day, 4 or more veggies, with no limit on eggs, meat (lean) and cheese. However, they recommend 4 servings of whole grains each day (which I doubt she'll reach anyways). They did say that butter is a better option than margarine or vegetable oils, but also state that saturated fat should be limited. They state that sugar (and white flour products) and saturated fat are the biggies to avoid. Since her health issues, she has started to eat more similar to me (primal).

Should she go ahead and follow the Pritikin diet since it at least advocates real food? She is really open to listen to my opinions and if i had really good sources on how all of this relates to osteoporosis, she would be open to reading them.

Sidenote: She is supplementing vitamin D to get her levels up, and will be tested again in 3 months.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    That's now the Pritikin diet? I thought Pritikin was ultra-low-fat.??

If she could get rid of the grains, I'd say it's more of a winner than loser. And make sure she takes her Vit D w/ fat.

Also, someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't magnesium important w/ regard to osteoporosis?

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium binds with the calcium and that binds it to the bone (I think.) Getting her vitamin D up will help.
    I'll try to dig up the source (I thin Mark has a post on it with a link to research), but I seem to recall there are elements in grains and legumes that have the same receptors as the bones for certain elements; however, since the grains and legumes have more of the receptors, the bones get the short end of the stick. Unlike when it binds with the bones, the elemental ions attached to the grains and legumes are excreted.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    To lose the grains and sugar crap is paramount.Well sourced saturated fat foodstuffs are fine,otherwise,doesn't sound bad.
    +1 on magnesium supplementation.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    There has been a link with the Pritikin Diet and depression. It is an ultra low fat diet which is not optimal for brain function. I remember watching the documentary Fat Head and he commented on the Pritikin Diet and depression, the creator of the diet himself actually committed suicide. I am not trying to scare you but you should really look into it first. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    There has been a link with the Pritikin Diet and depression. It is an ultra low fat diet which is not optimal for brain function. I remember watching the documentary Fat Head and he commented on the Pritikin Diet and depression, the creator of the diet himself actually committed suicide. I am not trying to scare you but you should really look into it first. Good luck.
    Yes, that is what I'm familiar with. However, the OP mentioned cheese (!!) and fats on a Pritikin diet. I didn't think that was allowed at all. So maybe it's different now or maybe the doctor is confused and it isn't actually Pritikin.

Here is what I found regarding the Pritikin diet:

Restrictions
    Foods in the Stop category include cheese, deep-fried foods, egg yolks, meat, milk, ice cream and butter. Pritikin urges dieters to eat these foods less than once per month. Virtually eliminating meat from your diet sounds very restrictive, but Pritikin wrote that you can get your protein from vegetables, grains and beans instead. Less than 10 percent of your calories should come from fat, Pritikin added.

So, either the doc is confused and it's not really Pritikin or ???

Either way, the real Pritikin diet is detrimental for anyone.
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 12-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.

britt007 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    That's now the Pritikin diet? I thought Pritikin was ultra-low-fat.??

If she could get rid of the grains, I'd say it's more of a winner than loser. And make sure she takes her Vit D w/ fat.
    Well, it says "modified" pritikin diet. It's supposed to be lower in fat (I told her that was one of the things I disagreed with and she does ask my opinions on things), but she doesn't really plan to follow that part too much. She is trying to focus more on the veggies, fruits, and the at least one egg a day it suggests. When I'm around, I always add butter to the veggies anyways lol. And, this diet is getting her away from veggie oils and such....so I def. like that. However, I think she will eat SOME whole grains, I just don't know how much. I'll have to see how it goes. But, I feel this is at least a good step towards maybe being primal one day....or, let's hope.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin k2, magnesium, and d are very important for bone health. If she's not eating a lot of fat, she should definitely supplement k2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast