Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All beans and Legumes diet page

fifi Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi there!

I've just started (my third week now) eating ONLY an ALL beans & legumes & fruits diet everyday with only 1 day off in the week, where I eat other foods. Will appreciate if you will advise whether this will make me lose weight? And whether I would also lose weight without doing much exercise?

Thanks!

Griff is offline Senior Member

You're making one of the worst dietary choices possible. Beans are poisonous to the body and you shouldn't eat them, both because they're full of anti-nutrients and because they are full of carbohydrates, neither of which are good for you.

Eat meat, eggs and lots of good saturated fats like butter and coconut oil, as well as leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables. That will make you lose weight without doing much exercise - although you should exercise, too, because your body needs it.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Mick Guest

It was probably posted as a joke. I mean here - and with the "only" in uppercase.
    [quote]

whether I would also lose weight without doing much exercise?</blockquote>

Sure. People can lose weight without exercising. For example, people in the final stages of cancer tend to lose weight.

One can probably lose weight on almost any diet - at any rate in the short term, and providing one can stick to it (which is physiologically problematic with some diets, because they leave you unsatisfied).

I tend to think that it&#39;s getting things backwards to think "What&#39;s the fastest way to lose weight?" Even if your chosen diet and exercise pattern was the best strategy for that - it&#39;s not - that wouldn&#39;t make it a healthy option. (Neither would it make eating like that a sensuously rewarding experience.)

It&#39;s too easy to get sucked into seeing any activity in goal-driven terms. (It&#39;s particularly prevalent in modern Western society.)

Better, in my view, to attend to the "here and now". Eat balanced (and appetizing) meals and exercise sensibly and don&#39;t worry so much about the "goal" (weight-loss). That&#39;s what&#39;s best for you; and the weight-loss will happen anyway, so long as you do that.

fifi Guest

Hello again!

When I say all beans&legumes diet, I meant my diet consists of no carbs, i.e. bread, dairy products, (only skimmed milk), plus I enhance the diet adding a bit of beef, with vegetables. And have loads of water, and some fruit intake!

Although having read the above response, am very surprised, because just recently I&#39;ve read that legumes/beans in any diet definitely is great in terms of good and high fibre intake etc!

very surprised!

Jedi is offline Member

I am guessing you haven&#39;t read any of the basic facts about this site and the Primal Blueprint. Here we believe that biological evolution shows us that our bodies are best adapted to a paleolithic style of eating ie pre agriculture. Beans and legumes are foods which humans only recently began to eat, and as a a previous poster already mentioned, contain anti nutriants. They also contain a high percentage of carbs and you state your diet consists of no carbs, which appears contradictory. If you read some of the 101 guides here it will give you more of an idea of a healthy diet for life and weightloss.

Mick Guest

[quote]

When I say all beans&legumes diet, I meant my diet consists of no carbs, i.e. bread, dairy products, (only skimmed milk), plus I enhance the diet adding a bit of beef, with vegetables. And have loads of water, and some fruit intake!
    </blockquote>

I understand. You mean you don&#39;t eat some carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread (and perhaps potatoes). In addition, you don&#39;t eat dairy products (although you make an exception for skimmed milk).

That&#39;s the bit you understand as being from Mark&#39;s plan - the "Primal Blueprint".

Your protein intake comes from the beans. That&#39;s what you understand from previous schemes - the USDA Food pyramid, perhaps? - to be a good thing. That&#39;s because you understand it to be better for weight-loss. However, you do eat some beef.

OK. Comment.

No, I don&#39;t honestly believe it to be a good idea from any point of view. Not in terms of the Primal Blueprint, nor in any other. Mark doesn&#39;t include beans at all.

But the point about beans is that they&#39;re only an acceptable source of protein when eaten with grains - because while both beans and grains do contain protein, neither has the full complement of amino acids. They have to be eaten together. But you just cut out the grains. You have to eat the beans with grains - or with first-class protein (meat, fish, eggs, or dairy products) - or your body can&#39;t utilize the protein in them. North American Indians in the South East, for example, ate their beans in succotash - a stew that had fish and green maize kernels in it. They didn&#39;t eat beans on their own.
    [quote]

Although having read the above response, am very surprised, because just recently I&#39;ve read that legumes/beans in any diet definitely is great in terms of good and high fibre intake etc!
    </blockquote>

I don&#39;t believe there&#39;s any credible evidence to suggest that anyone needs to avoid them. However, I doubt they should be a major part of anyone&#39;s diet, and they do need to be prepared properly. All traditional societies seem to have prepared these, and many other plant-foods, with care - and for good reasons.

Moreover, you need protein to build your body tissues, and beans on their own are not a good source of it (and not a particularly good source, anyway). As for the need to eat a lot of fibre - that&#39;s debatable. People have theorized that fibre in the diet is why some African populations have a low incidence of certain types of cancer. It may be; equally well, it may not be. It could be down to other things - for example:

http://naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

And there is some evidence that excessive amounts of fibre are harmful to the gut - particularly if you drink a lot of water, too, as you say you do. (Supposedly, the excess water makes the fibre swell more.) It&#39;s a grey area. Suffice to say, many historical communities had fairly low-fibre diets and it didn&#39;t seem to do them any harm.

On the water - No-one knows where the "8 glasses of water a day" myth comes from. It&#39;s been tirelessly promoted by the sellers of mineral water and is an item of faith with some fringe "health" groups. The medical profession doesn&#39;t appear to agree:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020809071640.htm

I should get a copy of Mark&#39;s book - that way you can see what he has to say in depth.

I&#39;m trying to think what&#39;s a good quick link to read now that would touch on some of the issues you&#39;ve raised. Perhaps this -

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ish_short.html

fifi Guest

Okay Guys this is what I am talking about............ comments much appreciated!

Slow carb diet

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:

Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor

Chicken breast or thigh

Grass-fed organic beef

Pork

Legumes:

Lentils

Black beans

Pinto beans

Vegetables:

Spinach

Asparagus

Peas

Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.

Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories

Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened iced tea, tea, diet sodas, coffee (without white cream), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk, normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. I’m a wine fanatic and have at least one glass of wine each evening, which I believe actually aids sports recovery and fat-loss.

Rule #4: Take one day off per week

I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat!

Mick Guest

[quote]

this is what I am talking about ... comments much appreciated!</blockquote>

Write a book; start a website (with a forum); and recommend this plan.

Unfortunately, it will make people ill. But there we are.

Jedi is offline Member

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Fifi for a really healthy diet and lifestyle please check out some of the articles in the above link

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PrimalCon New York

Fifi, it&#39;s weird. Not just because it has nothing to do with the core beliefs of this site, but weird even w/o a Paleo/Primal understanding.

Your diet, it&#39;s like someone just made **** up. Maybe that&#39;s why the fiber, it makes more ****.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast