Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting (IF) page

PrimalPica626 is offline Junior Member

Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Primal Fuel
    Hey Primal People!

Been researching a lot lately about intermittent fasting. If there was anything I was not doing consistently with the primal blueprint, it would be this. Any recommendations on how to begin an intermittent fasting regiment? Should I focus on one square meal a day (what the warrior diet suggests) or more so on the open window eating pattern (eating between certain hours of the day)?

I am looking for the most practical IF technique that will deliver results. I have tried the 24 hour fast but can't seem to get past the hunger pains during the day off food. Any advice in this area would be helpful.

Thanks primal people! Love you all and love this forum!

-Janelle

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if you saw this, but it might answer all your questions:

How to: Intermittent Fasting

Personal anecdotes are pretty much all over the board, to be honest. I've done 24-hours from supper to supper and also used a window between 9am and 6pm. Both work well. It's about finding something you're comfortable with.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Can never make it past 22 hours. Currently use a window of noon to eight for feeding. Occasional breakfast on weekends.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't recommend jumping right in with the one meal a day approach, especially if you have a hard time with a 24 hour fast. (Unless you meant you'd only do this once or twice a week?). Try an 8 hour window so you have time for 2 or 3 decent sized meals. I IF daily and eat from 11-7. Working well for me, I used to always wake up starving but now as long as I have my coffee, waiting until 11 isn't a problem. I think the hardest part of IF'ing is breaking the habit of eating every couple of hours.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I have been eating 1 square meal per day for the past year.

But before anyone embarks on IF, I think it would be wise for him/her to get everything else in order first. If your nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress, hormones, vitamin D, thyroid function...etc are not all taken care of, IF is probably the last thing you should have on your mind.

I arrived at 1 meal a day (dinner) after losing 80 lbs and healing myself physically and mentally. I eat when I feel hungry and that equates to only dinner everyday. The rest of the time, I only drink water or tea. I'm never hungry throughout the day, feel extremely alert and energetic (I exercise everyday fasted), and when I eat, I eat as much as I want (strict primal only). No problems keeping body fat below 10% (38% before I started primal) and more importantly a slim waist (28-29" from 40" before going primal).

I had tried to IF halfway through my weightless but could never sustain it. Only when everything was in order did IF feel like the natural thing to do.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm a big fan of the eating window. one meal a day suits my hunger, but it's tough to get everything think i need in that one meal. so i break my food up into two meals over six hours.
    check out leangains.com for some great info on fasting

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I am new here so I am a bit late in responding to this thread. One problem I have had most of my life (at least as far as I can remember) is drowsiness, sometimes extreme fatigue about an hour after lunch. I know in a perfect world taking a nap would be possible. But at work this is frowned upon (even though they give you an hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks they act life you stole money from them if you nap at work on your time)

I didn't find that switching to Primal /Paleo helped that much. I was thinking the best thing for me to do when I return to working is just not have lunch. Just a big Primal breakfast and a Primal dinner. Maybe throughout the day small snacks like an apple, nuts, jerky, a slice of cheese.
    Do a lot of you get through your day without lunch? It seems to me that Grok wouldn't wouldn't stop for lunch.

Also for a reason I don't understand is that breakfast, even a large breakfast doesn't make me drowsy like lunch does.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Bill View Post
    I was thinking the best thing for me to do when I return to working is just not have lunch. Just a big Primal breakfast and a Primal dinner. Maybe throughout the day small snacks like an apple, nuts, jerky, a slice of cheese.
    Do a lot of you get through your day without lunch? It seems to me that Grok wouldn't wouldn't stop for lunch.

But that's not IF'ing if you're eating snacks throughout the day in place of lunch?

Also for a reason I don't understand is that breakfast, even a large breakfast doesn't make me drowsy like lunch does.

It could just be what you're eating for lunch. Also, are you actually hungry at lunch, or are you just eating because it's habit?

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member
    Yes, I was hungry at lunch because I was buying into the old idea of eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Not sure if I should trying breakfast and dinner only or include small snacks during the day.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I was hungry at lunch because I was buying into the old idea of eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Not sure if I should trying breakfast and dinner only or include small snacks during the day.
    Skipping lunch does not constitute a fast. Neither are you fasting if you snack.

Lean gains has good info on daily fasting (skipping brekkie or supper)

Another idea is to do one or two 22 hour fasts weekly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast