Thread: Going Primal page

John Friesen is offline Junior Member

Going Primal

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some searching on Amazon for some new fitness / weight loss ideas. Over the past 12 years (I'm 36 now), I'd gradually put on an extra 60 pounds. I'm 6'3", and two weeks ago was at 260lbs. There's some muscle in there, but it's definitely mostly the unwanted fat that I'm carrying around. I stumbled upon the Primal Blueprint, and downloaded it for my Kindle. I read through it in a couple of sittings, and found that it just made a lot of sense.

My wife is very fit, and has been prodding me (justifiably so) to get into better shape. She's 5'3", and 105lbs., so we're sized just a little bit differently! She's had some health issues that have pretty much forced her off of sugar and gluten, and suggested that I might benefit from those things as well. That's just something that she discovered based on her own research (I don't believe she ever ran across the paleo/primal communities). She doesn't avoid grains, just gluten.

I've also in the past tended to go all gung-ho on some sort of fitness kick, eat right (at least according to CW), lose 20 to 25 lbs., fall off the fitness wagon (because it just wasn't fun at all!), and gain all the weight back, probably with an extra 5 lbs. for good measure. Because of this, my wife was a bit skeptical when I told her I was going off grain and sugar. I'm pretty much going to have to prove myself (mostly to her, but to some extent to me), that I can stick to my new lifestyle before I'll get any real buy-in from her. I don't blame her for that either, my track record is not good in this area.

I started going primal on the 10th of December, and have been so far very successful with sticking to it. I also lost 13 lbs. in the first 10 days, which was pretty shocking, because I definitely wasn't hungry, I was just eating primally. I'm assuming a lot of that was probably retained water from all the grain I used to eat, as that seems a bit excessive, however my pants are definitely looser already, so things are heading in a positive direction.

I absolutely love meat, so that side of primal eating is no problem at all. I also quite like vegetables, and have found I can live without grain quite nicely so far. The hardest part is avoiding the sugar, especially at this time of year. So far so good though. I may have to try some of the primal dessert recipes I've seen, as it would be nice to have something as a treat!

Anyway, I've been lurking on the forums for the past couple of weeks, so figured I'd take the time to introduce myself. At this point I'm sure I'll be leeching more information from you all than I can give personally, but I look forward to learning more and more, and getting healthier and healthier. I'm currently reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, and although it's definitely not as easy reading as the Primal Blueprint, it sure is eye opening!

John Friesen

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Bakonator is offline Member
    Way to be! That's awesome, keep it up! Good luck, and have fun!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.