Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diabetic tattoo help page

junebu8 is offline Senior Member

diabetic tattoo help

Shop Now
    Ok, my big tattoo is six days away, and panic has set in. I've been mostly eating right, my glucose numbers look good. But, it's also a REALLY stressful time in my life right now (my husband is finishing a year long contract at work and its a big, bad deal, plus regular holiday stress) and I feel like I'm healing slowly right now. Every little hangnail or scrape or bump seems to be taking forever, maybe because of the stress Or maybe it's my imagination, because my big day is coming up, not sure but I'm VERY worried that I'm going to end up getting some kind of infection. I had a bad go-round with MRSA a few years ago and I don't need a repeat. Also, when my blood sugar DOES get high, skin infections are usually my number one problem.

Any ideas on things I could do to reduce chances of infection? Here's what I'm up to so far:
    Eating lc and walking every day to keep sugars low.
    Taking 5000 IU vitamin D daily
    taking aspirin daily (normal for me)
    eating a couple teaspoons of turmeric each day for inflammation
    cut dairy yesterday (so I could have a week dairy free going in, again, for inflammation)
    trying to eat lots of ginger, garlic and chili
    keeping my house super clean, bathroom and kitchen disinfected
    washing my bedding
    using raw virgin coconut oil in my cooking and coffee

Any other ideas? I know it seems a little obsessive, but it helps me to be super proactive.

Acmebike is offline Member
    You seem to have it all in place. Maybe you need a massage or some relaxation? Or put it off another couple weeks until stuff blows over a bit.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    how big is the tattoo? where are you getting it? the legs would probably be the worst to try to heal.

my dh doesn't always have the best tattoo healing and he has had really good results with the h2ocean products. Much better healing in tattoos since he started using it. It's a soap and moisturizer set. I've never had a problem healing, but still use the h2ocean.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

junebu8 is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting it on my right arm/hand. It's going to be maybe 4 inches? The shop I'm going to suggests curel unscented lotion. I asked if they had different aftercare for diabetics but they said no, just to make sure to eat and be hydrated. Going to do some breathwork and see if I can relax a bit

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Rule #1 of Aging Well: Avoid self-destructive behaviors.

I'm not anti-tattoo; I've got one myself. But if I were a diabetic with a history of serious skin infections, I'd opt for a new bracelet instead.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I'm diabetic and have two large tattoos. Never had any any healing problems with them and I smoke. You need to make sure your Blood sugar is at the normal level during the healing process, that's very important.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    "Every little hangnail or scrape or bump seems to be taking forever"

In this circumstance your adding a tattoo? I think the advice gives itself here. I would wait.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I would wait too, especially since your intuition is going off with a big NO for right now.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Rule #1 of Aging Well: Avoid self-destructive behaviors.
    I'm not anti-tattoo; I've got one myself. But if I were a diabetic with a history of serious skin infections, I'd opt for a new bracelet instead.
    and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    "Every little hangnail or scrape or bump seems to be taking forever"
    In this circumstance your adding a tattoo? I think the advice gives itself here. I would wait.
    get my votes.

But as for something to put on the tat afterwards, my tatooist only recommends bepanthen. Worked well for me, no scabbing at all and healed really quickly.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Waiting sounds like the best plan for now. When you're ready to go ahead, Arnica is great for fast wound healing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast