Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grokette body image issues... page

shadowfang is offline Junior Member

grokette body image issues...

Shop Now
    I see so many people on here strive to be in the very best shape they can be in, when I was in my early teens, I was in the ultimate shape, I was a 13yo. girl and could lift well over 300 pounds and eat 5-6 meals a day-this is because I grew up working on a farm for most of my life, my dad passed on, we sold that farm, I got on birth control and then BAM!, shot up to 250 from 135 in a matter of a little over a year...now I've been big for 10 years now, I've rollercoasted a little bit but not too much, I must admit that I had ALLOT more energy and was healthier before I gained all of this weight...but I look at other women, the standard "I'm a size 4 victoria's secret" woman, and I don't see that as good looking, in fact I view curvy types (size 12-18) to be more attractive than the standard you see everywhere in commercials and advertising, and because of this, I am afraid of losing weight, I'm afraid of my boobs going away and looking like deflated balloons (they definitely aren't perky now), I'm afraid of having saggy skin and no ass-because even at my larger weight, I don't have that much of an ass to begin with lol, my hips will shrink and I'll look bony-because even now at 250 my ribs poke out.

I mean my biggest issue at my weight right now is this humongous gut that makes me look pregnant I have and these chicken leg thighs, if I could get rid of those and keep everything else, I'd be fine.

Maybe I'll be lucky and actually get somewhere that I like with this, but until then, I'm still afraid...

Does anyone else feel this way?

Marana Tha is offline Junior Member
    As a former female bodybuilder that is getting back into the lifestyle after a couple kids, LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS! If you overdo cardio and fitness lifting (high reps, low weight), that's when you have to worry about looking like a skinny rag doll. Eat primal, lift heavy with low reps, and enjoy the transformation. Take your time easing into the weightlifting until your tendons have strengthened and make sure you work your core. Forget all that toning shit they feed women!! You're NOT going to look like a guy if you lift heavy...you're going to have those curves you're after!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Agreed +1

shadowfang is offline Junior Member
    Thank you marana, I appreciate the wonderful advice

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    What she said. Eat primal, get where your body wants to be, and love it. The beauty is already in there; like Michelangelo, you just need to chip away until it is exposed!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    For a long time, I was the opposite of what you are talking about: obsessed with the size 4. A year or so ago, I realized that a lot of us women let stupid numbers ruin our happiness. Who cares what size, what the scale says, or even how old we are if we feel good and our bodies are in good working order? I may be new around this forum, but I'm positive that Grokette never used a digital scale, preened in front of a mirror or despaired about the size of her animal skin mini dress. Why should we? If you don't get obsessed with skinniness, chances are that you are not going to wake up one day looking like an anorexic super model. I think that when we settle on goals that are not primarily weight or size related (wellness, fitness, being comfortable in our skin) that we have a much better chance of meeting those goals and feeling great about the results. I speaking primarily for myself here and I think we each have to find our own path, but I cannot believe how much happier I am since I have ignored the damned scale.

I will admit to a tiny bit of preening in front of the mirror because my body just seems so different to me now. Younger, more supple, and really different looking even though I've only been at this a month. Like someone said in another post, that they felt like a goddess walking through the woods, I think that feeling of natural well-being is a worthy, obtainable goal for all of us.
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 12-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    I think that when we settle on goals that are not primarily weight or size related (wellness, fitness, being comfortable in our skin) that we have a much better chance of meeting those goals and feeling great about the results. I speaking primarily for myself here and I think we each have to find our own path, but I cannot believe how much happier I am since I have ignored the damned scale.
    Amen, sistah!

(Speaking for myself, I'm more sane too.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I think if you have a good strong body with plenty of muscles, you won't look bony no matter what. It's the muscles that make you beautiful, not the fat (or lack thereof). And you are young enough (I think? Under 30?) that you probably don't need to worry overmuch about saggy skin.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I also used to like the way I looked at a heavier weight. 180, 190...dare I say even 200ish didn't bother me. I thought I was still hot, LOL. But I let being a size 14 (i'm tall) and the numbers on the scale bother me way too much back in those days and I still hated being that weight so I tried to lose weight and was worried about the same things...saggy skin, boobs, etc. Now, I realize how stupid that was. I went through a full term twin pregnancy and am just amazed at how much my skin did bounce back from being insanely huge. There's no way that just losing the weight before the pregnancy would have left me with saggy skin so really, don't worry about that! Eat plenty of saturated fat and take Zinc and you'll be fine. I kick myself now for not just enjoying my body and fretting over all that little stuff. I should have cut all the tags out of my clothes and thrown away the scale a looong time ago. And you know, now I know I definitely will have saggy skin (cause I already do a bit) when I lose all the weight and it doesn't even bother me because I'll be healthy and I'll feel great and in the end that's really all that matters. My point...if I have one is that you shouldn't sweat the small stuff about your body, just get healthy and enjoy it now. After a few kids, breastfeeding, etc.. you'll wonder what you wasted time thinking about this stuff for (I'm assuming you've never had a baby)
    Also, if most of your weight is in your middle keep in mind that a lower carb Primal diet targets belly fat and the fat will come off your stomach area a lot faster than your butt and legs if they're already thin. The cause of abdominal obesity is insulin resistance/syndrome x and that's exactly what this diet helps with. Good luck!

Primal2010 is offline Member
    I'm a guy, and let me tell you, I lift heavy things all the time, and my ass and legs are huge...lol my normal size 32 waist has to accomodate my legs, so I have to buy like size 36 pants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast