Thread: Finally taking the plunge page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Finally taking the plunge

Shop Now
    I can't even remember how I wound up getting Mark's Daily Apple in my inbox. Not even remotely. I kept thinking of removing myself, I never read it, but for some reason I didn't. Then, I started reading it, and Mark's incredible candor, humour and honesty had me hooked. That, and I liked what he had to say. I mean really liked.

You see, I've always been a carnivore. I love my steak. Roast lamb, count me in. Salmon on the bbq, just call and give me 5, I'll be over. I love veggies. I'm not a big bread eater.

However, over the years I've forced myself to eat "the correct way", because I'm overweight. I'd struggle with diet after diet, and even when working on a farm, throwing over 200 bales of hay every day at 60lbs each, walking on average 10+ miles a day, I was still overweight. I dutifully did what nutritionists said, what my Dr said, and still gained weight. I cut calories, I went whole grain, I even taped the food pyramid to my fridge and followed it like a religion. I learned to loath "the look", which was inevitably followed by the words "We can't help you if you don't write everything down". When I swore up and down I did, I got the "sympathetic look" - "oh you poor dear, you're just hiding it from yourself, I'm only here to help..."

When I quit working outdoors, my lifestyle went from having an extremely physical job, to essentially a desk job. My rear end exploded. I gained, and gained, and gained. It didn't matter how closely I tracked things, how carefully I counted calories, I felt awful and I looked awful. I still carry the terrible results with me, and I am not happy!

A couple of years ago, I finally decided that even though I'm overweight and packing a wide load, I was going to do the things that made me happy anyways. I became more active, bought myself a 2000lb draft horse and got back into riding, began shoeing horses on the side again. I became stronger, and started walking more. Junk food disappeared from my diet bit by bit, until I was eating very healthily by dietary standards. Still, my weight stayed the same. Frustration set in when my health began to steadily break down, until I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well as Chronic Myofacial Pain. Translation - I hurt. Alot.

I ate healthy foods. I bought local. I only ate meat from places that I knew how it was raised. I cut out every little thing I could think of, and it helped, a little, for a while. I ate less meat, more whole grain bread. I learned to like oatmeal. I continued to get worse and worse. Finally, this past summer, I was put on some heavy duty drugs, the main side effect being weight gain. I still call it my miracle drug, it allowed me to move again, and begin battling all this horrible excess weight.

I started researching online again, and drawn by Mark's style and wit, came to the Daily Apple. The lights went on, and I thought finally! I have permission to eat the way I want, the way I like, the way that I've always said I should but was told was bad, wrong, unhealthy! I had already ordered a side of beef, split with 2 other people, from a friend of mine who raises cattle. I found out another friend had home grown eggs, her son got chickens. Over the last 2 weeks, I've cut out grain, sugar, pasta, all the stuff I'm really not that fond off anyways.

This week I really, really have had some great moments. Yesterday, for the first time in I kid you not 10 years or more, I shot hoops with a co-worker for over an hour. My arms are killing me, and I'm just thrilled. I love basketball, even though I'm horrible at it, and not only did I play, I kept it up for an hour or more, without being winded! Yes I feel pain, but its good pain, not awful FM/CMP pain!! And when we quit, I was winded but within a half hour felt good enough I could have picked it up again if we'd had the time. This has been an impossibility for me for *years*.

Tonight, another big, huge, amazing, wonderful event. Its been a couple of weeks since I rode, the weather has been miserable and cold, and I've been too busy getting ready for the holidays for more than a quick pat and a nose-kiss of my trusty beast. The first sign was when I put on my riding boots - my foot slipped right in. No tightness, no puffiness to kind of jam in there (ew, gross I know, but it is what it is), they just slipped on and laced up, I had no swelling or water retention in my feet at the end of the day.

The second sign was I swung a leg over easily, no stiffness, no pain. I swear, I had to check my stirrup length to check that no one had shortened one as a joke. Normally I get caught half way over, have to wriggle a bit because I'm stiff and sore and my FM makes life difficult and painful. Not this time. It felt good!

The third and most wonderful sign of all that this is what I need, what will I believe will ultimately save my life, happened when my butt hit the saddle. I had room. Really, I stood up and sat back down. I had room!! I *have* room!!!

I don't know how much weight I've lost. I don't know how many inches I've lost. I look in the mirror and thats all I need to know - I have a long journey ahead of me. A comedian once said a mirror is much more functional than a bathroom scale, you can see if you're fat or not, and you can fix your hair too, and I tend to agree with him. I do know, that I'm finally on a path with hope.

I had to write this out, partially to sum it up, partially to wrap my head around it, partially to just put that joyous feeling, that hope and celebration, out there on the 'net. Small novel, yes. Healing process, check.

Grok On!

Elaine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

CoachSandee is offline Member
    Elaine:

That is awesome! I can only imagine how great you feel. I haven't noticed many differences in my body yet other than having a little more energy, but I am certainly looking forward to those a-ha moments. Good for you.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Couldn't help it, hopped on the scale and in just a handful of days I've dropped 5lbs. I caved at work in the name of Christmas spirit, and felt like total crap for almost a full day. Exactly what I needed on both counts!

I've used FitDay for years and years, and what I'm really liking is that no matter how much I eat, as long as I stick to primal my calories are way down, and I am not in the slightest bit hungry or feeling deprived in any way. I know I'm eating much more than I usually do, and yet calories remain way down. *happy dance*

I admit to a certain delight in driving to work while gnawing on whats left of a shank of lamb, instead of a bagel!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    that's a great story, welcome to the board

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    welcome to the other side
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

I've noticed the lack of 'creakyiness' in my joints an hips as well, and I'm only going on 3 days no-gluten.

Keep it up!