Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making bone broth overnight - possible with an electric burner? page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

Making bone broth overnight - possible with an electric burner?

Primal Fuel
    Is it a Bad Idea to leave a pot of bone broth simmering on an electric burner overnight? Dad sez it'll burn out the coils in the burner if I leave it on that long, and I have no idea if he's right.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have an electric stove, but always use my crockpot for low & slow cooking- mostly because it uses less electricity. I really have no idea. One would think that by now they'd make stoves that can handle prolonged use like that.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I have a flat top electric stove and have made stock overnight probably a dozen plus times so far. I turn it on super low, and I usually put a lid on (cracked a bit most often). I think the first night I left something on to cook like that I got up twice to check on it worried sick. Now I have to remind myself to check on it before I go to bed. I just make sure nothing is near the stove, the water level is good, temp is super low, etc.

I know burner coils can burn out over time, but not sure about them burning out when left on for an extended period. I did see mention some folks putting it in their oven overnight as there was less 'fire' risk that way......not sure of the temp though.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I have some bones in a crock pot as I type. The appliance is too cheap not to have one. I mean like well under $20: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...ooker/11317137

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I got my little crock-pot from big-lots for $10. I use it sooo much. Thats how i make my bone broth, too! Three days, baby.
    Little Saiyan

Imogen is offline Senior Member
    I simmer stock on an electric burner all the time; at least once/week for 12-30 hours, for the past nearly five years. I have never used up an element. A crock pot would be a much better choice if you have room, though. I'm going to look into one. The reason I use the stove is that I do ten litres at a time, with a few birds at once, or lots of big bones.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to find a slow cooker in a charity shop - some of the ones near where I live quite often have one in. Strangely, only some charity shops seem to be allowed to stock electrical goods - the others obviously wouldn't have one!

slacker is offline Senior Member
    People use electric stove burners to keep coffee hot for hours and so forth all the time. That said, a slow cooker is a great thing to have.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I prefer a crock pot over using an electric stove. Even when I have my stove on the lowest setting it will still come to a boil after a couple hours. The lid starts popping up and fluids slowly start to release. When I wake up I always have a mess on my stove and I always worry that something will catch on fire. I don't have any of these problems with the crock pot.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone for the input! I was able to cram most of the bones into my tiny slow cooker (no small task), so they're simmering in there right now. The burner would be way more convenient for big batches of broth, but still seems kinda risky, I guess!
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast