Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A really odd question page

edgehill10 is offline Member

A really odd question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've noticed recently that a plethora of silicone bake ware has hit the shelves here in the UK. It comes in vibrant colors too. Lime green, Neon pink. To me cooking anything, even wheat flour filled cakes, in such colors is nauseating. That aside, is silicone any better than plastic, in the fact that ideally plastic should have nothing to do with food at all? Although it is virtually impossible to avoid plastic these days, I do try to use alternatives where possible, but you can't seem to get away from the stuff. Now silicone seems to be taking over. Are there any studies on its safety around food?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that too - silicone bread loaf tins (tins!! Makes me laugh!) and such garish colours. What has happened to good taste?! Thank goodness I shall never need to use any of it - baking is a thing of the past here.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Same thing here in NZ too. I wouldn't use them for baking but don't know how they fare against non stick bakeware which is of possible dubiousness also. A few years ago a friend said that her husband who is an orthodontist said "don't use silicon bakeware, instant cancer" of course he may have been overreacting but interesting nontheless and I've never forgotten it.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    they say it's safe, but i'm waiting for a few decades to see how it affects the guinea pigs.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Hasn't affected me yet. I use it when I'm cooking on a baking sheet in the oven. It's less wasteful than parchment paper, and I despise scrubbing to get gunk off a steel pan.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    I've bought silicone cookware because it is supposed to be inert--and maybe it is--but I know the first time I made primal-friendly brownies in my silicone pan they stunk of plastic. I'm not sure if it was the red tint in the silicone or the silicone itself, but it was definitely not okay. I threw the brownies out along with the pan.

I've never noticed any odor with the color-free silicone muffin cups I've used, but this "instant cancer" comment has me worried.

@Shadgal: is there any chance you'd be comfortable contacting your friend to ask her husband about the specifics of his concerns?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    There are no odd questions, only total weirdos.

Pluto is offline Junior Member
    Maybe I tried a lousy brand but the egg muffins I tried in them wouldn't even come out without breaking apart! Can't imagine actual cake batter. No opinion on toxicity.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Liss, sorry but I don't really see them anymore so not in a position to ask. Also remembered we were bought some silicon egg poachers and daughter refused to eat them because they 'tasted' of plastic, so haven't used them since. Maybe if you use the bakeware and like them, use them sparingly. Don't want to become totally paranoid.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    There are quality differences in silicone products, the best ones might be close to inert, but there certainly are products that are not and leave taste and who knows what else in the food. Maybe it's due to different manufacturing of the molded silicone parts.

Silicones are used in cosmetics products, are an approved food additive with code E900 and the chemistry seems simple and harmless. So the pure stuff seems innocuous but the molded parts go through quite a bit more processing.

My silicone spatula leaves no taste residues and certainly is better than the plastic one it replaced. For molds I'm not so sure, they are a bit heat-insulating and baking or cooling takes longer in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast