Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: numbers, calculations and what to do with them.... page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hi,

Is it just me or do numbers and calculations sometimes scare the hell out of you? I put my measurements into the diet calculator and I don't really know what to do with the figures. Looking at them it seems I am obese which I don't think I am. Or am I deluded...hmmm...

Here are the figures, perhaps someone has an opinion.

I weigh 85kg at the moment and have apparently more than 40% bodyfat..arghhh..

Body Mass Index: 28.4 kg/m2

Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.53

Percent Body Fat: 40.7%

Lean Body Mass: 50.4 kg

You are overweight by 10.5 kilograms (23.1 pounds)

Minimum caloric requirements: 1926 Calories per day

Limit your food intake to 1637 calories per day.

to lose 1.0 Kg per month.

Your diet should contain at least 81 grams of protein per day.

M

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Aside from the fact that I think in pounds and have no concept of a kg....those BMI charts are notoriously inaccurate, and have no way of taking muscle mass into account.

At 126 pounds, I'm much leaner than I was a few years ago when I briefly got down to 121.

As far as what to do with the numbers? Well, if you really want to count calories, go ahead and do it for a few weeks and see what happens. But if you want a true marker of progress, have someone take a picture of you in a snug pair of jeans: front, side and back views, and then do it again after following the recommendations.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

85 x 2.2 = 187

More than 40%? Yes, quite likely. You didn't mention your height, but I'm guessing it probably isn't 6'5". (195.58 cm)

The online BMI calculators are not notoriously inaccurate. Not as good as immersion or calipers, but not so bad. The greatest variable I have found is measuring technique and consistency. And certainly better than nothing. I do find the advice sort of out of bounds, however.

grandma is offline Member

[quote]

The online BMI calculators are not notoriously inaccurate. Not as good as immersion or calipers, but not so bad.
    </blockquote>

did you mean lean body mass? BMI is a kg/m^2 there is not other way to measure it because it doesn&#39;t measure anything but the ratio of your weight to the square of your height. The charts are completely accurate because it is what it is. It is not a measure of body fat and you cannot measure your BMI with calipers.

I&#39;ll tell you what to do with these numbers. Nothing.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Never mind the fact that the BMI was not created as a diagnostic tool but as a categorization tool. There&#39;s a big difference. Quetelet was trying to find ways to group people based on size so he could ask questions about things like "which nations have more access to food? is there a class difference in who has access to food in a given country?" etc.

People who use BMI as a diagnostic tool are trying to use a scale to measure distance.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

I meant online LBM calculators. I was on my first coffee, so cut me some slack!

I just picked up a brand new fancy schmancy scale from a craigslist, um, listing for $20. Although it does disply LBM, that&#39;s an easy calc from the % BF. And guess what, exactly the same as the online calculator when I last did it a few days back.

So, close enough for all practical purposes.

maranne is offline Senior Member

OTB...I am 173cm= 5 feet 8

Thanks for your comments!

M

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Hi, all!

I just thought of something. The electronic body fat-measuring scales use a small electric current that runs through your body; measuring the resistance (fat =higher resistance, water/lean muscle=lower resistance).

I couldn&#39;t figure out why my readings were ALL over the place, one time being 24%, the next being 30%...that kind of thing.

It just dawned on me that what I ate or didn&#39;t eat might actually be getting factored into the calculation.

Makes sense that if you have a belly full of steak after dinner, that&#39;s going to add a few points, right?

How could the scale know how much fat is you, and how much is your dinner?

OTB, does this make sense? You seem to be giving this a lot of thought.

grandma is offline Member

I believe water is the biggest factor.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#1TFStL/www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n9/abs/ejcn200942a.html/

Your hydration level changes your impedance.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Certainly you get points for creativity, kuno!

I don&#39;t think even a whole pound of steak, only part of which is fat, even with butter on veggies, is going to be anything significant. If a guy has, say, 30 pounds of fat (I wish!), a half pound isn&#39;t going to move the needle much, so to speak.

The current that is used is a 500 microampere high frequency alternating current. Although it doesn&#39;t say so, I presume that either they change the frequency to get a delta to convert, or they use a DC to compare. Anyway, pretty amazing.

As I putz with this new scale, I am also getting wildly fluctuating BF levels. The first one, mentioned above, was probably the closest. While I did love seeing 8%, I had a Rep. Joe Wilson moment...."You lie!"

I&#39;m finding that foot placement plays a crucial role, try to be very consistent. I picked this tidbit up on another scale, try wiping your feet with a damp cloth prior to stepping on the scale.

At least I am finally getting very consistent weight readings, which is all I was really after. It reads to the .2 pound and it always comes up either the same or just one increment difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast