Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery page

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member

Ankle Sprain Recovery

HELP!!!

I just re-rolled my ankle during my warm-up a few hours ago. It was an old sprain, and i wasn't able to re-hab it properly when I initially rolled it. This time is less bad, but a sprain still sucks. I work in a more physical field and need to maximize my recovery time.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, natural liniments, etc. to maximize the healing?

I have been alternating ice baths and elevation, while keeping my range of motion active. (R.I.C.E.)

I took Ibruprofen and extra fish oil within ten minutes of the injury, and plan on loading up on both for the first 24 hours.

A colleague recommended Zheng Gu Shui, and was looking for feedback before i order some.

Thank you in advance!

Also, any input on fasting for anti-inflammation and recovery?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Arnica. 30c Homeopathic and external gel or cream. Use both. Makes recovery much faster, in my experience.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    My only advice was the RICE method but you already knew that. Don't take many NSAIDS (like Aleve) - it can cause some stomach issues (said from a girl who knows too well).

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    Can't help you with the supplements or liniments. But as far as range of motion goes, the most important is that you emphasize regaining full dorsiflexion range of motion ( pulling your foot up towards you). That will go the longest way to preventing future ankle injuries as well as decreasing the risk of developing achilles tendonitis if you lack full dorsiflexion range of motion. Incorporate calf stretching, and some ankle mobiliization drills. After the fact focus on strengthening and proprioception/balance drills to help prevent you from rolling it again.

Barb W is offline Junior Member
    New Ren,

If you have a chiropractor you like, call him/her and get it adjusted. Or find a chiropractor for the first time; it works very well for think kind of injury in addition to RICE.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Everyone!

Hopefully this heals quickly.

bteam is offline Junior Member
    Find a chiropractor that does ART (Active Release Techniques) http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp#

I sprained my ankle about two years ago. I went to the chiropractor last year because my ankle was still right. A couple months later and it was good as new. Amazing results really.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    You can also get anti-inflammatory ointment, as I found after I discovered I am allergic to arnica - what an itch I got from that!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    Don't worry about inflammation. The body puts it there for a reason, so if you want to get rid of it make sure you continue to move it. Even just ankle circles within a comfortable range. This will allow the muscles to pump out fluid through the lymphatic ducts and reduce swelling without stopping the inflammation process. Also, make sure you rehab it properly. Sprains are ligament tears/stretch, and ligament is plastic, meaning if lengthened it cannot shorten. So, you will have to rely on you ankle musculature to support the ankle. Which means you will need to make sure you train the proprioceptors. Doing lots of stabilisation exercises (pistol squats, bosu work, uneven surface walking, etc) will help a lot in the rehab phase.

You will be prone to sprains from now on, but having strong, reactive, ankles will be very important. Just make sure you keep it moving so it doesn't stiffen, which is a sign of scar tissue adhesions.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Arnica. 30c Homeopathic and external gel or cream. Use both. Makes recovery much faster, in my experience.
    Arnica is also available as a tea infusion. It was very helpful to me post surgery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast