Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orthostatic Hypotension: Anything I'm missing? page 2

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Jammies, I have been reading about adrenals and, boy, that could explain a lot. I was supplementing for adrenal exhaustion awhile back but stopped.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    My experience may be helpful. I had an episode of orthostatic hypotension and wound up in the ER. After some time, my doctors feel it was from dehydration. Then I began having early morning episodes of very low BP (faint, dizzy) that weren't resolved after eating and drinking (I tend to low BP, but it always goes to normal with breakfast). My cardiologist told me that fluids were going 'right though' me because of mineral deficiencies [for medical reasons, I need to eat a very calorie restricted diet, and the body gets its minerals from food mainly, thus my deficienty] and that's why I remained dehydrated in spite of drinking fluits.

He said that the best solution was to drink a sports drink to get my electrolytes in balance. My primary doctor suggested Pedialyte as the best source.

I haven't had a problem since. I only drink the Pedialyte if I'm feeling light headed in the morning, and that resolves the problem immediately. But my episodes have been fewer and fewer. I will sometimes drink it after exercising, too.

I tried the sea salt in water this morning as suggested by Jammies and it seemed to help. I do feel better today. I also did lots of reading about adrenals last night and that could explain a lot of my health history. I really do think adrenal fatigue is the causal factor here because when I get startled or acutely stressed I have an episode where my BP goes low and my heart starts racing. I have a supplement called Adrenal Support by Uni-Key that I'm going to start taking it again today and see if it helps.

I have had several long periods of major stress in my life starting when I was six and my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She died when I was 10. My adrenals certainly have cause to be exhausted.

I'm assuming that over time the PB will also help my adrenals recover. I probably should keep the wine and coffee at a minimum from what I'm reading. My diet is really clean. I haven't cheated once with wheat in 3 weeks and have had very sparing amounts of starchy carbs.

Here are a list of adrenal fatigue symptoms that I DO have. I removed the few that I didn't have.
    Low body temperature
    Weakness
    Nervousness
    Difficulty building muscle
    Irritability
    Mental depression
    Apprehension
    Hypoglycemia
    Inability to concentrate
    Excessive hunger
    Tendency towards inflammation
    Moments of confusion
    Indigestion
    Feelings of frustration
    Poor memory
    Alternating diarrhea and constipation
    Lack of energy
    Auto-immune diseases
    Lightheadedness
    Palpitations [heart fluttering

Dizziness that occurs upon standing
    Poor resistance to infections
    Low blood pressure
    Insomnia
    Food and/or inhalant allergies
    Craving for sweets
    Dry and thin skin
    Headaches
    Scanty perspiration
    Alcohol intolerance

Thanks to all who have responded. I think we're on to something here. The orthostatic hypotension is likely just a symptom of adrenal exhaustion.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    Katherine, I have started reading your journal and noticed our similar health history. I tried to leave you a message there this morning but a computer blip occurred and I lost it.
    Hate that!

I was reading your potassium doc and was interested to see that it said that potassium and mag are relaxers. I knew mag was but didn't realize potassium. I have very tight, stiff, often knotted muscles. They are better now with magnesium supplementation and exercise. I'm sure my cleaner diet is helping as well. I still have pain but not as much. I'm thinking some potassium rich broths might be in order.
    Definitely. I do broths but I also take straight up potassium chloride if necessary to balance Na:K intake ratios. And really, I just can't say enough good stuff about Jigsaw Health Mg. It's really foundationally helpful. So is major muscle work...I prefer compound/complex body weight stuff right now but lifting weights is good too. I'm using bodyrock.tv even though I still have to majorly modify just about everything.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Interestingly, I was looking at the website where I got my adrenal support formula (Unikey Health) and it recommends magnesium for adrenal support. I will look into the jigsaw that you recommend.
    Uni-Key also recommends pregnenolone which I've never heard of. It says that "pregnenolone is the precursor of all steroidal hormones including cortisol, DHEA, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Studies have suggested that using supplementation to boost the body's pregnenolone levels provides the same health benefits as taking multiple hormone supplements; however, pregnenolone is not a steroid hormone."

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Here is an interesting article on adrenal fatigue:
    http://www.carnivorehealth.com/main/...new-detox.html

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

That is interesting. My ultimate goal is to eat clean, exercise optimally, and feel great with a minimum of supplementation. I do not like taking a bunch of supplements and I'm not good at consistency. I'm sick of feeling like crap and trying to solve these riddles. Reading the many success stories of people on pharmaceutical cocktails who got better give me hope that this is possible. Maybe some patience is in order. I did notice that I felt much better yesterday and I did not have any wine the night before. Today I feel bad again and I had a glass of merlot and an after dinner coffee. I'm wondering if I'm a little too low carb also. I think I felt better in the early stages of my primal experience when I was eating some sweet potatoes and wild rice.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Shat-
    when I first experienced low BP that didn't respond to fluids, I suspected adrenals and had my endo check. It wasn't adrenals--mine are fine--and I had all the symptoms you highlight.

So before self-treatment for something self-diagnosed, I'd suggest being tested to confirm that it's actually your adrenals and not something different.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really thought I was past the point of low carb flu but I upped my carb intake moderately yesterday and felt SO much better today. I am so over the mental notion that I need starches but physically I don't think I'm there yet. I would rather take it a little more slowly than to feel like total crap and not be able to get anything done. The flip side is that I accidentally ingested wheat yesterday, not thinking about the roux in the gumbo I ordered at a restaurant and muscle pain instantly worsened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12