Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thyroid problems, digestive issues and acne: low carb or moderate carb diet best? page 2

adriabold is offline Junior Member

Thyroid Problems

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    High constipation, fatigue and cold temperature all these are making me fed up with life. It is almost 2 years now and still complaining regarding these elements. I tried to avoid operation and consulted Homeopathic doctor. He said that thyroid problems are curable without any operation but these problems are increasing daily. Let me know what has to be done now. The temperature remains cold in every season. At times I would blood flows out of the nose. Help me take the right decision. I am totally confused.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your B12 tested? What's doc doing with the high cortisol in the evening?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    This is a tough one. A lot of it sounds familiar, some of it doesn't.

My problems started with colitis at age 26, 5 years of that (including 2 on prednisone) then a surgery to fix it. Then I had steady weight gain for years and years (triglycerides were off the chart high). Hypothyroid came next, treated with T4 (extremely high TSH), that didn't work and eventually I ended up at one of the best thyroid/hormone places and turned it around. The diagnosis by then was that it was both thyroid and adrenals and all kinds of hormones were way off. The adrenals were mostly what the other docs missed. I was huge, but cortisol was low by the time I got this diagnosis, because my adrenals stopped making it.

From your labs I don't know why you are thin and not huge.

I recommend you go through my doc office's reading list and see if anything catches your eye-
    Medical Information Handouts | Holtorf Medical Group

Some thoughts-
    -The high cortisol points to adrenals' response to stress, not thyroid. You are not going to solve it with Primal, or supplements, but you can make improvements.
    -TSH is unreliable in difficult cases. Don't let anyone convince you that it means much.
    -Armour Thyroid usually is much better than just T4. You said you just started it. What were you taking before? If it's doesn't work and T3 is low, you may need more than a thyroid doc. You need a hormone doc that is an expert on adrenals and cortisol. The endocrine system is a SYSTEM, and many organs work together. Hormones are produced in different organs and there are feedback loops between them. If more than one are out of whack, focusing on thyroid only is a complete waste of time.
    -If TSH (the test I don't like) is normal and T3 low...often reverse T3 is high. This is a test that is rarely done. But, high reverse T3 makes you heavy and that is not happening.
    -Anyone who says "low carb is not good for the thyroid" is nuts.

Things to do:
    -Eat primal. If weight is OK I wouldn't worry so much about staying very low carb (keto). Just avoid simple carbs, grains and dairy both. No milk or frankenfood.
    -Get lots of vitamin D and a strong B complex.
    -Read up on adrenal fatigue to understand cortisol better. It's complicated.
    -Sleep with melatonin, this is very helpful. It's not just to get to sleep, its to get better sleep and improve symptoms.
    -If the doc doesn't understand cortisol (which is common) find a hormone doc.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    . You're also supposed to stay away from peanut butter which can limit thyroid hormone production.

I never heard of this. Who says avoid peanut butter for thyroid? My thyroid doc recommended it, as long as it is natural (I use Smart Balance, seems to be OK). The conventional peanut butter is frankenfood that is good for no one, thyroid or not.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Regarding low-carb versus moderate-carb -- I find as a diagnosed and treated 35-year-old woman with hypothyroid that I function better with fewer carbs in my diet.

It's like my body sees carbohydrates and yells, "MY PRECIOUSSSSS." and won't let go. And ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything grain-based.

I suspected this about a month into primal/paleo eating: we had a cheat day; I would indulge in pasta, and found that I'd pack on three pounds between Saturday and Sunday, which is insane. I was leaning toward completely cutting gluten from my diet before I read that hypo can be caused and aggravated by gluten. Once I read THAT theory, I made the shift and haven't looked back.

So far so good. Weight loss is slow, but progressing -- which is more than can be said for any other lifestyle change I've made in the past (aside from, perhaps, getting on thyroid hormone replacement).

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I have some similar issues- gluten intolerance, symptoms of low thyroid (normal tests, including the ones I paid for privately since the NHS wouldn't do them), possible adrenal problems and so on. I've been reading Mastering Leptin which says that thyroid can be downregulated if there is a leptin issue as the body thinks it is starving even though it isn't. So low thyroid but without an actual thyroid issue. As far as I understand it, inflammation is at the root of it (my symptoms flared when other gluten intolerance symptoms flared, and I doubled my bodyweight in 3 years at that same time, so it makes sense). I haven't got that far with what to do about it yet though, the science just isn't there really. Minimising inflammation by removing inflammatory triggers and using anti-inflammatory things like fish oil, can only be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post

It's like my body sees carbohydrates and yells, "MY PRECIOUSSSSS." and won't let go. And ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything grain-based.

Best explanation ever!!! I know just what you mean!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

DFH
    I have some friends over there and a couple have as much trouble with Drs in the NHS as we have here in the US. They can be SO far behind and and stubborn that it's maddening. I guess that is why the thyroid sites are so busy and books sell. You really have to take charge, do your homework and be your own "thyroid program manager", and be very assertive when seeing the doc.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I have some friends over there and a couple have as much trouble with Drs in the NHS as we have here in the US. They can be SO far behind and and stubborn that it's maddening. I guess that is why the thyroid sites are so busy and books sell. You really have to take charge, do your homework and be your own "thyroid program manager", and be very assertive when seeing the doc.
    My docs here have been wonderful and done every test they could. They actually can't do ones not indicated, the lab will refuse them if they don't have sufficient reason for them, especially expensive ones. I was impressed with the care I got, just a shame it couldn't help me. But then I don't think meds are the answer for me, not yet anyway.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriabold View Post
    High constipation, fatigue and cold temperature all these are making me fed up with life. It is almost 2 years now and still complaining regarding these elements. I tried to avoid operation and consulted Homeopathic doctor. He said that thyroid problems are curable without any operation but these problems are increasing daily. Let me know what has to be done now. The temperature remains cold in every season. At times I would blood flows out of the nose. Help me take the right decision. I am totally confused.
    Your post is confusing. In order to help you, more specific information would be beneficial.

What operation are you trying to avoid? Have you had testing done-- TSH, free T4, free T3, antibodies-- to see if your issues are thyroid related. If you've been tested post your results here.

Some things that can mimic thyroid symptoms include:
    1. Low Vitamin D
    2. Anemia, including low ferritin levels
    3. Blood sugar issues
    4. Poor diet

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    To the OP: have you considered Iodine supplementation? Either kelp tablets or sublingual liquid are a good choice. There are several environmental halogens that can block thyroid production in the absence of sufficient iodine. And no, you probably don't get enough from iodized salt - since the iodine dissipates within a month after opening the package.

A couple of resources I would recommend: Stop the Thyroid Madness, and adrenalfatigue.org

Adrenal support is also important. James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue is a good resource for information.
    Last edited by bokbadok; 05-21-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added reference link
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12