Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please make sure the meat you eat is from humanely killed animals page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Please make sure the meat you eat is from humanely killed animals

Shop Now
    I am not trying to be sanctimonious, but I want to remind everyone to be cognizant of where your meat comes from-- especially as the season of Christmas hams is upon us.

I live about an hour away from Smithfield, one of the (if not the) largest pork producers in the world. Locally, we have been deluged for years with the horrors that go on in their plants. Bearing in mind that pigs are one of the earth's most intelligent animals, I simply cannot stand to see the way(s) they are tortured by Smithfield -- they are dragged, beaten, kicked, and sick ones are tossed wounded but alive into dumpsters. The latest is the gestation crates.

If you cannot afford to eat grass fed beef and farm raised free range chicken and pigs, please make friends with a hunter and stick to venison. I am lucky that my dad and brother hunt and fish, so I have access to venison, rock fish, cobia, etc. year round. My dad and brother give aways tons of venison each year to friends who don't hunt - I hope everyone can find a good source of meat from animals that have not been treated in such an inhumane way all just to make a buck.

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    it is amazing how these animals are treated and the nasty living conditons . one of my next hunting adventures is going to be for wild pig/boar . I hunt deer and always seem to have more venison than I can use, not that I am complaining .

Grokette2011 is offline Junior Member
    I am suprise that many people do not understand what they are eating. I attempt to educate those around me about the importance of this subject. I have never tried Vension. I will if there is someone around me that has made it. Time to go ask some fellow hunters

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    What I find interesting is that humane treatment seems to go hand-in-hand with no antibiotics/hormones and access to pasture. For the sake of my health as well as the animals, it makes sense to me to choose smaller local producers who care about their animals. That said, I don't judge anyone who chooses otherwise...we are all on a learning journey around food.

Primal2010 is offline Member
    I figure once I get back into an area where I can hunt without driving 10 hours to do so (and kill deer that are bigger than what is here in California). Got some jerky coming in the mail, can't wait! But yeah, I mean Organic/Grass Fed sort-of goes hand-in-hand with their treatment.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    I simply cannot stand to see the way(s) they are tortured by Smithfield -- they are dragged, beaten, kicked, and sick ones are tossed wounded but alive into dumpsters. The latest is the gestation crates.

That is horrific and deeply upsetting. I would rather be a vegetarian than eat meat like that. even if my body suffered, at least I'd have a clean conscience. They should be banned from the business.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    That is horrific and deeply upsetting. I would rather be a vegetarian than eat meat like that. even if my body suffered, at least I'd have a clean conscience. They should be banned from the business.
    I, for one, will be boycotting ham this season -- any ham my in-laws (here in Va) serve for Christmas will most definitely come from Smithfield's.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Unfortunately, few people seem to are. The situation is not quite as bad here but still not good for pork. However, some producers are starting to get rid of the rates so there is some hope. We buy the free range stuff produced about 40kms away and widely pried as 'Sweet Bangalow Pork'.

A word on the farrowing crates - these are necessary with large breeds of pigs until the piglets are large enough not to be squashed by their mother. Have you ever seen a big white pig lay down? The just go 'oomph' and flop, and I have seen piglets squashed underneath by Mum. After they are about 2 weeks old they are big enough to withstand it and wriggle out unhurt, loudly and indignantly squealing all the while.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    I, for one, will be boycotting ham this season -- any ham my in-laws (here in Va) serve for Christmas will most definitely come from Smithfield's.
    Good for you. I wouldn't eat it, either.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    i would if i could, but not everyone has access/can afford such things. for now, i buy conventional stuff. someday i'll raise my own meat again, but at the moment, i get what i can.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast