Thread: We Are What We Eat (especially the difficult ones) page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

We Are What We Eat (especially the difficult ones)

Shop Now
    "I was in California for the month of October, the California where everyone has a Food Issue. It's becoming a signature there, like a car, a statement of who and what one is..."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...EDKE1GROK2.DTL

Hmmmmmmm......

I agree with this from the article...

...Whatever you do with your diet, keep it to yourself.

The French consider such diet talk very bad manners, and they are right. If you can't eat, shield the rest of us with courtesy. Consider giving your loved ones a big gift this year. The magic gift of silence.

That being said, it goes both ways. If I've selected what I'm eating for a meal, please dear host, do not try to force feed me something I haven't put on my plate, especially if you don't want to hear the reason.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    +1000

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Oh sweet! Someone brought Wood chips! I love wood chips -- they are loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals!

But on a serious note, I love the PB because it takes the pressure off being so obsessive over your food. Spread the knowlege, and skewer conventional wisdom, but don't sacrifice friends over these things.
    Last edited by New Renaissance; 12-18-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Jyoti is offline Junior Member
    I have a slightly different take on all this. I have multiple food issues, none of which I asked for I can never have any gluten (not even a molecule), and I'm also allergic to cow's dairy, eggs, peanuts, strawberries, kiwi, and raw tomatoes (thankfully, cooked ones seem to be OK). Trust me, it sucks, for everyone involved.

I am highly gluten-reactive. It's not an abdominal thing for me, but a neurological one. Gluten causes my immune system to attack my brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Causing inflammation in the brain is devastating because the parts of the immune system that quell inflammation do not cross the blood brain barrier into the brain; it's like starting a fire in a factory without any fire extinguishers and hoping that it'll burn itself out. All that happens outwardly is that I get tired and crabby and my night vision goes down the drain. I also can't do the heel-toe sobriety test walk. That's not a big deal in everyday life, but it does indicate brainstem damage (cerebellum, specifically). Some of this may be permanent; I've only been strictly gluten-free for a year, so time will tell.

Did I mention that this is a special type of reaction whose effects could last up to 6 months?? It's not your average peanut-allergy anaphylaxis - it's not deadly but it's much more devastating to your system long-term.

So if someone brought out a wheat-based spaghetti, I'd probably gasp too. I wouldn't be able to eat it. Gluten-reactive people are so highly sensitive that they can't just "eat around it" either. Cross-contamination is rampant.

So, if I'm going to someone's house for dinner, I have to do either one of 2 things: let the host know, or bring enough gluten-free food for myself sufficient for a meal.

All I'm saying is, please don't come down too hard on those of us with "food issues". Hosts, you get to deal with us for a day or two. We get to walk a minefield our entire lives.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the article. If you're that sensitive to what the average person serves, then bring your own food and be quiet.

Jyoti, if you're that sensitive, how can you even eat anything that's been prepared in a non-gluten-free kitchen?

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the author. I usually don't talk about food anymore. People generally don't like being told what to eat and what not to eat, including me! I don't want to hear about "oh just try this" and slap it rudely on my plate. Excuse me, if I wanted that I would have dished it up for myself!

On a positive note, I had the most delicious omelet ever from my local diner.