Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gray hair...why? page

fitmom is offline Senior Member

Gray hair...why?

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering why people get gray hair. I am closing in on 40 and only have a few, so I've never given it much thought. I know people who are fully white (and dyeing their hair) who are 10 years younger than me.
    I read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color and other stuff, but nothing conclusive.

Wondering if anyone, since going primal, has noticed supps. or dietary changes that made a difference?
    Is graying hair inevitable? It can't be; my grandma's hair is still the same shade of blue its always been......

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Interesting you ask about gray hair... I think I'm going crazy. I'm 40 and noticeably gray and haven't been able to get my hair highlighted lately due to lack of funds. However, the last couple of days I've noticed that I don't think I'm as gray as I was even 2-3 months ago. Is that possible? I even asked my husband and he agreed. There's less gray hair. I'm styling it the same way so it's not that the gray is blended in differently.

I know a benefit of this lifestyle is looking younger but I don't think it would manifest itself in turning gray hair back to its original color.

Maybe winter is already getting to me... CRAZY hahahahaha

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    funny that the NYT article referenced Obama's gray, then went on to say gray is not a marker of aging or stress....and yet, presidents tend to age faster and get gray hair quicker than the rest of us.
    I noticed when I first went primal that my graying slowed way down. its remarkable that scientists are still struggling to figure out why it happens, and how. And yet there's probably an app that can track every follicle on your head & measure its color!!

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I really don't know why hair turns grey. Maybe it has something to do with age, do you figure? I do know that grey hairs are far more valuable than black hairs. I had to give up about twenty or thirty black hairs for every grey hair.

I had some people tell me that loss of hair color (Isn't grey a color?) was due to insufficient magnesium. Most of the people who knew that answer apparently didn't care about upping their own magnesium. They had nice collections of grey hair themselves.

When people remark about my grey hair, I proudly let them know that the color is natural.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I am convinced that my hair is getting darker. I wonder if I am just imagining that. But I really think it's true.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe its your imagination that those on primal eating have slowed or less grey. A prime example is my bother. I am 42.5 years old, female with hardly a grey hair to be seen. My bro is 38, eats badly that is all processed carby stuff and is very grey. Now it could be gender genetics, but I think that nutrition has a LOT to do with it. However, not being perfect human beings and succoming to the good old fashioned drink. BUT, I drink fermented grapes, while he drinks malted grains... I think that wine is mightier than the beer!
    Last edited by Coconut; 12-17-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I think grey hair and male pattern baldness is mostly caused by mineral and vitamin deficiencies and a lack of healthy fats. Doctor Mercola said he lost most of his hair when he went on a low fat diet. I think it could possibly have something to do with yeast overgrowth in the hair follicles, too. I've heard a lot of people say they reversed their grey by eating a spoon of black strap molasses every day. Maybe because of its high mineral content?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Very interesting... I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I was mostly vegan for 3 years before going primal. Age 28-31. Noticed my first gray hairs during that period.

Now, I'm 32 and have been primal over a year. I SWEAR the grays are disappearing.

I do supplement magneseum.

Huh.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast