Thread: Advice on Primal Veggie Gardens page

Leanne is offline Senior Member

Advice on Primal Veggie Gardens

Primal Fuel
    Recently my husband and I bought a small house with a bit of a yard. We are anxiously looking forward to growing our own organic vegetables. For the past three years I have been growing salad greens and cherry tomatoes on our apartment balcony and am planning on having raised garden beds this year that hopefully produce enough to lower our grocery bill. It has been several years since I have had a real garden and I am looking for advice on what to plant that would support the Primal Blueprint style of eating and would do well in a zone 5/6 area. Years ago I grew potatoes and green beans with great success, but of course they are not strictly primal. I have decided I am not going to completely eliminate the night shades (I will be growing tomatoes and snow peas as they grow well and offer a lot of flavour for dishes). I am starting indoors with seeds many will need to start in January or February to be ready to transplant outside in spring. We have southern exposure and an active compost. I already have potted herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, basil and chives.
    This is my list of what I am thinking of planting but I need some ideas on what else I should be growing.

Garlic
    Yellow onions
    Red onions
    Snow peas /Sugar snap peas
    Tomatoes
    Bell Peppers
    Kale
    Spinach
    Lettuces
    Beets

Any ideas or advice is welcome and appreciated.
    ~L
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Looking ahead to summer, you can't go wrong with cucumbers or summer squash. Those are the plants that keep on giving and giving! I'm in zone 9, but I'm pretty sure they'll grow just about anywhere. Very primal friendly, too.

My favorite summer squashes: yellow crookneck, zephyr, 8-ball, and good old zucchini.
    My favorite cucumbers: lemon and armenian.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget to look up "companion planting" - certain plants grow better or worse placed next to certain other plants. For example if I remember correctly I think peppers and tomatoes are supposed to do well together, but garlic and carrots don't...or something.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I don't know that zone (we live in 7), but I would also add:
    Cabbage
    Swiss chard
    Broccoli
    Nasturtiums (edible flowers for salads)
    Carrots

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Be aware that happy squash plants can be incredibly prolific once they get rolling.

My favorite garden book is "Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway. It is about Permaculture at a home level. It's full of inspiration and practical ideas for improving the biology of soil and plants.

If one thinks about Primal versus conventional/industrial eating, well, Permaculture is sort of a Primal of the growing world. How to avoid pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, how to set up a balance where plants make networks with each other and with insects, animals, and soil critters, all looking out for each other.

Enjoy ............. I think that's the clue to a really good garden. Enjoy the whole process.