Thread: anyone heard of barefoot science? page

primaljoel is offline Junior Member

anyone heard of barefoot science?

Primal Fuel
    hey I was perusing around and found http://www.barefootscience.com/us/index.php

anyone heard of these? I usually don't like infomercial type products. But I like the ideology behind it at any rate.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    <grin> I would think they might have trouble selling a product which duplicates going barefoot, which after all, is free.

primaljoel is offline Junior Member
    yeah but we all have to wear shoes sometime. i just have terribly flat feet and thought maybe I could put these in shoes when i didn't have a barefoot option.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I bought these years ago. I can't even remember how long ago - probably like 15 years. My flat feet were terrible. I wore those things religiously for 6 months and pretty much cured the pain/aggravation I was enduring.

I spent a ton of time in shitty runners and work boots back then. Would going barefoot have helped as much? I have no idea. But at the time, and in the circumstances I was in, I totally would have taken the Barefoot Science guys out for beers for helping me out.

I've also noticed an improvement in my feet over the past year, going barefoot quite a bit, so I'm not sure how strongly I'd recommend them today to someone.

Jesus, I'm probably not really helping. Anyway, that's my story.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried these, but, from viewing the infomercial, they seem to make a number of claims that on the face of it seem suspect. They claim that their product is good for high arches and flat arches simultaneously. I'm not a podiatrist, but it seems to me that a high arch cannot possibly be caused by the same underlying mechanism as a flat arch. Consequently, the solution to each problem would probably need to be different. The "one size fits all" approach of the barefoot science ad has the whiff of hucksterism about it.

They then go on to tell you that it "wakes up weak foot muscles." As far as I know, waking up a narcoleptic foot muscle is accomplished through functional motor unit recruitment as a result of nervous system activation, not by sticking a piece of foam under your insole. This is commonly known as "exercise."

We are also told that "conventional insoles and orthotics rob your feet of the ground stimulus necessary to activate your foot muscles" It seems to me that if it's ground stimulus you want, then the most direct and cheapest way to accomplish that is by removing anything that would come between you and said ground stimulus, whether that be conventional insoles and orthotics, or the latest snake oil footwear scheme to come down the pike. The obvious way to do this is to run in as minimal footwear as possible, if not barefoot.

I hear you that there are times that footwear must be worn, but again, I think this is definitely a case of less is more, and I don't think adding insoles is a great way to "provide ground stimulus." To that end, I would suggest you try the Vivo Barefoot Evos. I love mine.

-PK

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I used to have a pile of foot problems, and these things were what worked. They are very flexible, and don't actually give you tons of support. They have this slot on the bottom, and you put different density and height cores in it, so it stimulates your arch, causing it to flex and get stronger - or something like that. Anyways, I wore these, and built them up from the lowest to quite high, and my foot problems have been basically gone ever since. Even though I haven't worn them in years, I still have strong feet. I'd tried alot of different things before resorting to these, so it wasn't that things cleared up on their own and this was coincidence either.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    <grin> I would think they might have trouble selling a product which duplicates going barefoot, which after all, is free.
    <cough>Vibrams<cough>

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    LOL. True! But I don't think I'd want to walk barefoot on city streets. I do take off my shoes as soon as I get home, though. I wonder if that may be one of the reasons I don't have foot problems.

pebblehead is offline Member
    My VFFs seem to have cured my plantar fasciitis, so there's something to the barefoot thing. It seems like orthotics, regardless of the design, wouldn't be as "barefoot" as a pair of minimalistic shoes, especially since they'll be worn with shoes that already have varying degrees of support, flexibility, etc.