Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this time of year page

terrax is offline Member

this time of year

Primal Fuel
    ... anyone else having trouble keeping on track this time of year? I'm on break from school for the holidays and home with the family (most of whom have even started to eat primal! ) and it is still even hard what with all the holiday treats we get from friends and family. I think I may do whole30 come January..

anyone else struggling? any words of wisdom?! lol!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Tell the truth and shame the devil, I've had some issues with the holiday food, but not so much as you might think. Most of it just doesn't even qualify as food to me. I've eaten one bite of a kolache, only to remove all the bread because the bread tasted not there. If it's something I know and love, I'll take a largish crumb or sip, to test it against what I like now. If I like it still, I'll take a small piece and call it 20%. I've made a pact with myself that there's only one 20% item per day, except on Christmas itself. Have I broken that pact? Yep, but I made sure the item was worth it first.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Yes. It is tough. I think I'm going to whole30 on Dec. 26. No real words of wisdom, though. I don't know how all of america's traditions turned into reasons for the supermarket to load bags of candy and corn syrup at the entrance. Thanksgiving as a feast, I get. But from the superbowl to easter to memorial day, 4th of july, labor day, halloween, christmas, new years....the tradition of excess is hard to opt out of, especially if the extended fam. is diving right in.
    I am allergic to wheat, so that solves 99% of my problem right there. The excess and excessive expectations bug the shit out of me, though. Good luck!

croí is offline Senior Member
    My New Years resolution is to do the Whole30!!! I fell off the wagon hard around Thanksgiving, and slowly pulling my way back up. But I figure this resolution will give me the kick I need!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i had a free for all at thanksgiving, and i'm sure i will at christmas as well. i figure as long as they are few and far between, days of eating a little comfort food is part of living...just as long as you get back on track the next day.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If holiday-type foods mess with your body and send you hurtling into deep dark pits of despair, explosive diarrhea, headaches, bloating, fatigue, nausea or cramping, I feel bad for you, son.

I got 99 problems but a treat ain't one.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    It definitely is challenging!

I made molasses sugar cookies yesterday -- made them per my recipe, which has been in family for years, except I used 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 coconut oil (melted) in place of canola oil. I went a smidge light on the sugar, but like I said, I didn't really primalize them (they had flour and sugar). I made them for some functions I'm going to and also planned to freeze some. I ate exactly one and a half cookies and felt SO bloated afterward. I love these cookies- they are from my childhood - but I don't have a desire to pig out on them because of how I felt afterward. I don't think I'll have much trouble baking and freezing the rest of the batter today.

I plan to primalize the recipe once I get my blanched almond flour.

But, having said that, yes the holidays are hard and so filled with temptations. I teach high school, and today was to be our last day, but we were out yesterday and today for snow. Honestly, most of the gifts students bring teachers are edible -- last year (before I was primal) I was given these delicious pretzel sticks (the big ones) that had been dipped in caramel and rolled in yummies (nuts, chocolate, etc.) -- I actually already planned to immediately give away any type of delectable I was given to another teacher. But since we weren't at school, I was able to avoid a lot of the goodies.

I'm hosting book club at my house Monday night - I am making primal crackers with almond meal, will have brie and apple slices, kielbasa slices with mustard, and am making a holiday tossed salad that consists of mixed salad greens, nuts, pear slices, crumbled blue cheese and a dressing made with olive oil, basalmic, whole cranberries, and a tablespoon or two of orange juice (will be my 20%). The other girls are not primal but try to eat healthfully, so hopefully we won't have too many goodies. I at least know I'll be able to eat my own food.

The big problem for me is going to be our 4 day visit to the in-laws. There is absolutely no point in me telling MIL (or others in family) that I am primal -- trust me, it would be a futile and frustrating conversation. I plan to just eat meat and veg and avoid the numerous sweets and breads she always has. I am worried about it though because every meal will be a challenge. I just hope she doesn't plan a pasta night!

terrax is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    If holiday-type foods mess with your body and send you hurtling into deep dark pits of despair, explosive diarrhea, headaches, bloating, fatigue, nausea or cramping, I feel bad for you, son.

not one treat, many. and they just keep coming. I have a lot of friends, so...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I dunno. Eat one and give the rest away.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post

Awesome.

My big problem is that Wifey Fist is a teacher and the kids keep giving her shedloads of chocolate! And alcohol though, which is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast