Thread: Sandbag Lifting page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Sandbag Lifting

Shop Now
    Hi Guys,

I've recently written an article on the windmill and bent press:

http://www.britmma.co.uk/#/two-stren...-ex/4546624950

It's geared towards MMA Athletes but I think they're great movements for everyone.

Does anyone do windmills or bent presses as part of their routine?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Nope! but I just got some salt bags (for the snow to come) so I'll attempt this tonight and report back, the bags should be pressable but we'll see if my core has what it takes. I subscribed to your sandbag blog, got an RSS for the MMA site? I'd be interested in MMA inspired work outs...

Primal2010 is offline Member
    Did some sandbag clean & press today and it tore up my grip more than the rest of my muscles! Hoping to have more sandbag stuff when I pick my WOW, it's all in the dice rolling! :-)

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Nope! but I just got some salt bags (for the snow to come) so I'll attempt this tonight and report back, the bags should be pressable but we'll see if my core has what it takes. I subscribed to your sandbag blog, got an RSS for the MMA site? I'd be interested in MMA inspired work outs...
    I don't add alot of specific workouts to my MMA blog but here's a link to my page on Brit MMA, I post a few articles there:

http://www.britmma.co.uk/#/training/4545144220

The MMA stuff is interesting to me, mainly because we work through lots of different energy applications - plus throwing stuff around is just plain fun.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I do windmills with 16kg and 20kg kettlebells quite frequently as a warmup before doing clean and press ladders with 24kg kettlebells.

I always had a harder time with the bent press, it just feels awkward. If I did it, I would probably start with a really light kettlebell, like 8kg, until I got comfortable with the movement. Clubbells are good for movement in different plains as well, you'd never think 15lbs is so heavy until you've thrown around a clubbell.

Unless you are really good, I would neve think to begin doing either of those two exercises with a sandbag though, it's just too hard to keep them balanced. I like sandbags and have a couple but mostly stick with two armed exercises with them. Initially, a kettlebell or dumbbell would be easier to do the windmill or bent press. I hear you that easier is not better (or else why not stick to the machines!) but while learning a movement, one needs a certain amount of ease.