Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: are peas and green beans okay? page

sammylou is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

i posted this question as a comment on mark's salad posting but realized it was from a year ago so i'm not sure it will get noticed.

in that posting, 1 of the salads contained snow peas and the other green beans. i have since done further digging on the site and found many other recipes that call for green beans or peas, including mark's video where he makes his 2 minute salad that he eats every day.

i am very confused because i thought these were legumes and to be avoided. can someone clarify? can i go back to eating these two foods? can they be considered vegetable options [even though i know they are legumes]?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I eat them. I figure if I can eat it raw, it's probably ok.

Tarlach is offline Member

Legumes are not paleo, so I exclude them. It depends if you want to count them in your 20% cheat as primal.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

We used to eat peas raw from the pod in grandpa's garden, so I'm confused about why they're not considered paleo.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Just because you ate them raw, doesn't mean Grok did. They may not have even been available to him in the form that we get now....

Legumes are excluded as they contain lectins to protect the seed from being digested.

Snow peas are a weird one as they don't taste horrible raw like most beans, but I lump them with the rest of the family of legumes - so they are out.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Yes, yes, we know. You're the Paleo authority. Personally, I will be growing and eating plenty of raw peas and green beans this summer.

Sorry for having an opinion.

You want to eat legumes, then go ahead. Did Grok? It's most likely he did not.

It's a pretty poor attitude to hassle me for trying to answer a question, just because my opinions differ to yours.

I just wish that when I started eating paleo years ago, that I could have gotten such easy access to answers for all of my questions. Especially from people who have lived paleo long term and done years of research.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

jpippenger Guest

I think that this question is really a case of paleo versus primal. Tarlach is very much a paleo person. As a paleo eater he is definitely correct in his position. However, Mark is not a paleo eater and in his primal blueprint he has identified a few exceptions to the rule. That is why he eats peas, and green beans, and tomatoes, and drinks the occasional beer.

I don't think Mark would consider peas and green beans a 20% cheat according to the PB. It would be considered a cheat according to a paleo diet.

62shelby Guest

Grok didnt eat sausages either

musajen is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

I never realized peas and green beans were legumes and have been eating them as part of my primal diet. I like 'em and don't see a reason to give them up. It's not like they're a part of my daily intake, just something I throw in on ocassion so I'm not worried about it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast