Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: are peas and green beans okay? page 4

gnosis is offline Junior Member

I'll eat my low carb heirloom string beans from my garden, which aren't technically "paleo", any day over something which is considered "paleo" like a starchy,sugar bomb banana which has absolutely nothing to do with wild fruits that were available 8,000 + years ago.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Hrm. New[ish]to Primal/Paleo.

Why are beans and peas not considered Grok food? Granted they need to be soaked to be edible, but so did olives.

I'm guessing if Grok saw critters eating them he'd try them himself.

He probably ate tubers, rice, and other whole wild grains on that same principle, I would think.

Are legumes verboten because Grok really probably didn't eat them? Or is it just because they are starchy and hard on insulin production?

Is there any archaeological evidence/artifacts telling us Grok's actual diet? Or is it speculation based on what we know about what was probably available at the time?

Forgive me if my ignorance is showing. Just curious.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Diana Renata, its poor form attacking Tarlach like that. You can disagree with someone without being nasty.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

brahnamin, many plants available today through domestication or artificial selection where not available at Grok's time (before agriculture even started).

While it's difficult to know exactly what Grok ate, it very likely was plants, shoots, berries, insects and meat.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

So legumes didn't exist then?

I mean, I get the rest. Plants, fruit, meat, etc. I guess beans just seem *natural* to me, but I'll be the first to admit I really don't know when what came along in the plant kingdom timeline.

I also understand that if Grok did *gather* grain he probably had to do so by hand and therefore got very little of it and entirely unprocessed, in season, rare, etc.

It was the bean thing that surprised me most when I started reading about both the Paleo and Primal eating plans.

Not easy food in the wild by any means, but in times of starvation I imagine Grok ate quite a few things that would seem inconvenient to us.

I am not a botanist, but I think legumes were not palatable before being domesticated. If Grok tried to eat them, he would have ingested an unpalatable plant, with low nutritional value (at least when raw) and a significant amount of lectin (toxin).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

What I find interesting is imagining that Mesolithic period (in and around, I suppose, the Fertile Crescent), where hunter-gatherers were slowly making the transition to agriculture. It's not as if walls sprung up and they immediately began tilling soil and planting nice neat rows of wheat... there had to be a weird time when they were just trying all sorts of crazy new stuff. Of course, this was probably a rather long stretch of time spanning hundreds of generations.

I wonder what made them decide, "Hey, this stuff isn't so bad once you cook it, ferment it, or soak it."

Relosa is offline Member

SerialSinner, you're whole domesticated thing still doesn't make any sense to me. By your reasoning you literally can't eat anything store bought, or anything grown by a farmer. You HAVE to go and find something in the wild if you don't want to eat "domesticated". Farmers have been farming and modifying vegetables for centuries to have what we produce now.

brahnamin, I think most of the issues when it comes to eating vegetables on a primal/paleo diet are from the carb/starch issue. Does it have a high sugar value or not? Because if you argue that Grok would or wouldn't eat certain vegetables in the wild you could debate it for a long, long time. Grok probably ate potatoes, hell Marks states it in his book, but they're high starch. Grok could have even eaten a form of corn considering all it is, is a modified form of grass.

Relosa, as you say, it's not black or white. When I say I think legumes where domesticated into being palatable and therefore edible, I am not implying that *all* domesticated plants are not primal.

I would argue that heavily modified plants (ie, from inedible to edible) through domestication are not primal. I would also argue that plants that were potentially edible before but were "improved" via domestication are primal.

DouglasH Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Since I have had wild carrots, turnips, blackberries, and several other wild veggies, fruits and nuts.

I can put most are domesticated. wild carrots are typically bitter and have a higher fiber content than those that have been domesticated.

I would also argue that most people would find grubs unpalatable but I can assure you Grok ate them and typically uncooked and alive.

I would think that Grok at least ate wild legumes or there wouldn't have been a need to domesticate them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast