Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: are peas and green beans okay? page 3

Relosa is offline Member

Primal Fuel

So does that mean that anything grown in a pod is considered non-paleo?

Also, domesticated plant? So you're saying that a paleo person can't eat anything that is grown on a farm? Or are you saying domesticated because it's been grown/bred to be that way?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I know that all legumes have pods, but I am not sure about the opposite.

Basically, paleo food was found in pre-agrarian times, is palatable and can be eaten raw. Domesticated plants are, by definition, not paleo.

Picture Grok wandering a fertile land while hungry before agriculture had been discovered. What would he eat? Thats paleo food.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Relosa is offline Member

Okay, I'm still confused about what a domesticated plant is.

But by the definition of the food being found pre-agrarian times you could argue that any plant could have been found in the wild and eaten. So why are certain plants not aloud?

In my own words, a domesticated plant is the result of a "wild" plant being artificially selected so that it acquires one or more desired characteristics.

I believe we evolved a preference for certain tastes in order to discriminate the good from the bad things to eat, hence my mention of "palatable" as a condition for a food to be primal. If it grew around us, and we evolved to like it, it's probably good for us.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Nick Guest

Green beans are the unripe fruit of a variety of bean types. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_beans

That includes the common bean, which includes black, kidney, pinto, white, etc. beans.

I think the reason they're classified as "vegetables" and not as "pulses" is probably due to a couple reasons. It's green and is typically eaten like a vegetable, e.g. meat, mashed potatoes, and green beans (in lieu of broccoli, etc.). Also, it benefits the agricultural industry because now they're more able to sell green beans into school lunch programs, etc., and people will buy them thinking they're getting a spinach-equivalent green vegetable. For that reason things like ketchup and mashed potatoes are also sometimes considered vegetables.

Green peas are quite sugary -- a cup of green peas has 21g carbs, 14g minus fiber, and 8g of that 14g is simple sugar.

I'm not sure of the lectin/phytic acid content of either green beans or peas, but they're technically not vegetables, and they've got a fair bit of sugar in them. I personally avoid them just because I'm minimizing carbohydrates. Obviously, whether to eat them is an individual decision, though.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Ok, nix green beans.

How about asparagus?

Nick Guest

Asparagus is definitely a vegetable, and grows wild around Europe. Carb-wise, I put it in the same category as broccoli (more than leafy greens, but less than root vegetables like carrots), which is more something to be aware of if you're really trying to get into ketosis.

Incidentally, nightshades are good for something here: a tomato plant in your garden can help repel the asparagus beetle.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Well, that's good.

I love asparagus and I love the resulting asparagus pee! haha.. it's so fun.

Nick Guest

Just be glad you don't ever have to have asparagus pee at a urinal. Ugh.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

It's good for marking territory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast