Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: are peas and green beans okay? page 2

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Green beans are not legumes.

Tarlach is offline Member

According to Wikipedia green beans are legumes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean

"Green beans (American English), French beans or runner beans (British English) are the unripe fruit of any kind of bean,"

and under Bean

"Bean" can be used as a near-synonym of "pulse", an edible legume

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Shine is offline Member

I really think that this is another situation about finding your own personal balance. For me, I can really only eat leafy greens raw. Everything else is too fiborous (I think that's the word I am looking for) for my system to digest easily; therefore, I generally lightly steam or sauté my veggies before consuming. Even if fully cooked, peas and green beans still do not agree with me; therefore, I personally do not eat them at all.

I know that this attitude of exalting personal balance over a fixed ideal makes me horribly un-primal and un-paleo. Whatever. I am more concerned about finding what works for me as an individual than engaging in some prehistoric role play. Certainly, there are some fundamentals which we all hold to be true; we can all agree that a grain-based diet with excessive amounts of dairy, sugar, and food additives is horrible for anyone.

Abiding by Grok's diet does help us to make wise food choices, but I do not believe that it is the only factor in deciding whether something is fit for consumption. In my opinion, there is no fixed standard that will work for everyone.

madMUHHH Guest

Definitely agree with you there, Shine. Great post!

But I really think it's the best to start from a paleo/primal perspective, because it's most likely that your body will get along with it well. If you want to include things like legumes, no problem! Just be sure to observe what it's doing to your body, even though that may be hard at times, because certain foods might affect you in a negative way without you actually realizing it.

That's odd. ....According to Wikipedia

Green beans are not legumes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(legume)

A pulse is an annual leguminous crop yielding from one to twelve grains or seeds of variable size, shape, and color within a pod. Pulses are used for food and animal feed. The term "pulse", as used by the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), is reserved for crops harvested solely for the dry grain. This excludes green beans and green peas, which are considered vegetable crops.

gnosis is offline Junior Member

green beans,for me personally,digest like a green vegetable and not a starchy legume.

Peas on the other hand...not so much

bad link above

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(legume)

I don't know if that one will work either though

No, it won't, legume is getting cut off.

Oh wait.. maybe wikipedia means green beans aren't pulses. Oh well. I like them-- green beans, that is.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

thanks for all the great replies. and i totally agree that we all need to choose what is right for us. but one thing i was hoping for was an idea of why these items might be less harmful than other legumes. i don't notice mark providing recipes with lentils or kidney beans so my reasoning was that if he includes peas and green beans in his diet [whether often or seldom] then is it because they have more value than other legumes? do they not have the same levels of antinutrients? or are they just lower carb? knowing why [scientifically] they might be a decent exception helps me to decide if, and how often, i may want to include them. i really like both and have always considered them veggies [esp green beans].

does that make sense?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Legume or not, green beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) is a domesticated plant, so technically it's not paleo.

To what extent are they bad if prepared properly, I don't know. But there's some research about it:

http://tinyurl.com/qvdld4

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast