Thread: Rendering beef tallow - is a food processor necessary? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Rendering beef tallow - is a food processor necessary?

Yesterday, I was able to get a pound of grass fed beef fat from Whole Foods, and the butcher was nice enough to give it to me for FREE! I want to make tallow, and I've read Mark's blog post on rendering beef tallow, but I don't have a food processor. Can I just use a crock pot? The fat is cut into large slabs, should I still cut them into little cubes if I'm using just a crock pot? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    A food processor is not required. I would definitely recommend dicing it though. I used the pemmican guide method and it worked great. I've never tried it in the crockpot. It might work, but I'd keep an eye on the temp, just to be safe. And congratulations for scoring some free grass-fed suet! That is awesome. I had to pay for mine, heh.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Cutting them into cubes will make the process go a LOT faster, and may or may not get you a more complete rendering. According to Wikipedia crock pot on high goes to maybe 200F, well below boiling. So don't try wet-rendering, just dump the fat in the dry cooker and let it go for however long it needs.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Thanks 216. I was just gonna say that.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I chop the fat very small, put it in the slow cooker with a cup of water and leave it for about 12 hours minimum. The water goes away and you're left with masses of lovely rendered lard and some little bits which I put out for the birds. They go pretty quickly!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    You can always use a saucepan if you have nothing else.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Update - I chopped the pork fat much smaller this time and it needed only about 7 hours in the slow cooker. Loads of lovely lard rendered out - it gives me such a sense of satisfaction, to see glass jars full of lovely white lard!

I'm going to mince (grind) the fat next time see if it is quicker still.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Thread resurrection!!

I came across this today:
    http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/pap...01/ps01496.pdf

Basically it says that very finely grinding your fat source (chicken skin was used in the experiment) pre-rendering causes it to have higher antioxidant/vitamin content and lower peroxide values. I wonder if it also applies to beef suet. I will probably run my next batch through the grinder a few times just to hedge my bets.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On another forum someone posted that they kill their own pigs and render lard, and have been doing so in the family for 60 years or so. They don't use a frying process at all, just cut up finely and simmer in water for several hours in a big boiler then skim all the fatty material off and strain out any lumps.

I've just made some rendered beef fat from marrow bones, about 3 pounds of them. I did them in the crock pot, which is getting a good work out lately, with enough water to cover them, plus onions and carrots. Ended up with a bowl of beef broth on the bottom and fat on the top, which I put in the fridge and when cold I simply lifted the "wheel" of solidified fat out. Tastes lovely compared to store bought beef dripping (tallow).