Thread: Got my D results, now what? page

Freshy is offline Junior Member

Got my D results, now what?

Sent my D test off to grassroots health and got my score back today. It took a week and a half is all which I thought was great. Had a little problem with getting blood, as the 2 lances they sent with the test didn't inflict enough damage to allow me to get blood out, so I had to buy a packet of lancets and jab myself. Fun times
    Anyway. My score came back 70ng/ml for D3 and D2 was <4. I know the optimal range says between 40-60ng/ml. Not sure what I should do about my vit D sups now. I'm a 6'1 160lbs guy living in Florida. I teach in a classroom that has zero windows monday-friday so I won't be getting much sun until spring I started taking 6000 iu 3 months ago and bumped it up to 8000 for the last month. Not sure if I should drop to 2000 iu daily to maintain these levels, or try to get them a little lower or what. I'm using the Nature's Answer D3 drops Cillikat recommended. Any insite would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Freshy; 12-16-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Actually, the Vitamin D Council recommended range is 50-80. Other folks have different ranges--and to the best of my knowledge there are no long-term studies that show the optimal range for most people. We are all relying on the extrapolation of experts--or in my case, on my intuition.

I tested at 91 after a year at 8,000 IUs. I feel good on this dose and will reduce it slightly this Spring. I live in the Pac NW and get little to no Vitamin D here until July.

Not a doc, but if I were you, I would maintain the 8,000 until Spring, then drop down to 6,000--or less if you are getting out in the sun a lot. You can test again in June and see where you are.

How To Get Enough Vitamin D (from the Vitamin D Council site.)

There are 3 ways for adults to ensure adequate levels of vitamin D:

* regularly receive midday sun exposure in the late spring, summer, and early fall, exposing as much of the skin as possible for 20–30 minutes *******(being careful to never burn). (Those with dark skin will need longer exposure time — up to six times longer.)
    * regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months.
    * take 5,000 IU per day for 2–3 months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50–80 *******ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) year-round