Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The New Evolution Diet - Art Devany page 3

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Each of the authors subscribe to the same basic theory, but each has its little differences. We all post on here because we mostly subscribe to Mark's version. Whose to know which is the best one? I for one don't like things to be complicated. I pick a method and stick with it, and don't change unless it's not working. I like Primal. As far as not eating egg yolks, that's lunacy. Eggs are the perfect food.
    Who is to know which is best? Whoever reads all the research and correctly understands it, without making any grave errors in comprehension. Evidently Art/Cordain cannot be counted amongst that group. It's not like there isn't plenty of evidence contradicting their stance on fats... someone needs to introduce them to Gary Taubes.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I wish I'd read this post before ordering the book from Amazon yesterday.
    Oh, well. At least now I know what to expect. I'd read some Art Devany stuff well before I found MDA and thought it was brilliant, but never paid for his website, so haven't read any in years.
    Sounds like the book will be interesting, but not a keeper/reference book the way the Blueprint is (although my copy is currently on loan).

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    40 quatloos is pretty freakin' outrageous for a simple blog site, too. I paid for a year when he first started it out at $25 or something. Yeah. Just one year.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

HideMyBrain is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    I wish I'd read this post before ordering the book from Amazon yesterday.
    Oh, well. At least now I know what to expect. I'd read some Art Devany stuff well before I found MDA and thought it was brilliant, but never paid for his website, so haven't read any in years.
    Sounds like the book will be interesting, but not a keeper/reference book the way the Blueprint is (although my copy is currently on loan).
    If you ordered pre-order then you can just go and cancel it.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Setabas View Post
    I did get the Paleo Diet Cookbook.
    <snip>
    With that said, I got his book for meal ideas and not ideology.
    How do you like it for that? I thought of getting it and just adding extra fat to the recipes...I have a cookbook addiction.

(Sorry a bit OT.)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Who is to know which is best? Whoever reads all the research and correctly understands it, without making any grave errors in comprehension. Evidently Art/Cordain cannot be counted amongst that group. It's not like there isn't plenty of evidence contradicting their stance on fats... someone needs to introduce them to Gary Taubes.
    Honestly, I don't even think this is enough. There's still so much that human's don't know about their own bodies.

Btw, "like fighting a spider crossed with a tree" made me laugh very loudly.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    How do you like it for that? I thought of getting it and just adding extra fat to the recipes...I have a cookbook addiction.

(Sorry a bit OT.)
    FairyRae, here are my thoughts on the Paleo Diet Cookbook:
    • It's paperback
    • Except for the cover, there are no pictures
    • Unlike many (if not most) cookbooks, there is actually about 52 pages of lead in to the cookbook, so if you didn't know a thing about Cordain's thoughts on the Paleo diet, you could actually learn enough about it to follow it from the lead in to the cookbook. While I don't necessarily agree with all he wrote, I think this is a great way to begin a diet specific cookbook.
    • There are sections on the basics, setting up the kitchen/shopping, etc.; breakfasts, snacks/appetizers, poultry, beef, port, lamb, bison, game meat, jerky, fish, seafood, salads, veggie dishes, condiments, salads, sauces, fruit purees, beverages, desserts, a two week meal plan and a section for crossfitters and athletes.

The meal plan is a little bit of a disappointment. It essentially just lists the names of various dishes presented in the book. So Day 1 breakfast is simply a breakfast selection from the book. There are no weekly shopping lists or efforts to use today's protein in tomorrow's dishes (as Robb Wolf seems to do in his book, where he sets it up that some of the meats you cook for dinner can be utilized in tomorrow's planned lunch). So this plan would take a lot of work to set up a shopping list and coordinate it.

As far as the recopies, they don't seem hard and I'm sure they'll be interesting to try even though I haven't done so yet.

As I mentioned before he still seems to be anti-fat and anti-canned products (such as fish). I have canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, clams, chicken and turkey upon occasion and I wouldn't be able to be primal for 100% of my meals if I didn't as sometimes I just have time to grab a can, some greens and some olive oil.

All in all, I think it will be nice to have some more recipes at my disposal to mix things up, so for me I think it was a very good purchase and while I like the Primal Blueprint cookbook more, the recipes in this book are not quite as gourmet and will probably be quicker for someone like me (limited cooking ability) to prepare easily.

app1eg is offline Junior Member
    oh crap! I've already placed a preorder the day i saw his post on MDA's main site! better try to cancel before they ship!
    Started PB 18 July 2010

-18.5 lb/ 8.4 kg as of 20 Dec 2010

Goal: to lose lose all my belly fat!

134.9/116.4/no goal weight, just visible abs!

going Primal works! ~~

app1eg is offline Junior Member
    I take back my words.. I DO have a thing for Paleo/Primal books. Gonna get it anyway, I'l just skip the parts i don't agree with. (I do love my fatty meats and butter!)
    Started PB 18 July 2010

-18.5 lb/ 8.4 kg as of 20 Dec 2010

Goal: to lose lose all my belly fat!

134.9/116.4/no goal weight, just visible abs!

going Primal works! ~~

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with grumpycaveman that the "eat lean meats" thing is probably more right than not - the problem is that most hunter-gatherers preferentially ate the really fatty bits on those lean animals. There is a LOT of evidence for humans roasting bones to crack them and eat the marrow, which is nearly all fat, and the kidney fat and other bits surrounding internal organs are sitll highly prized. Not only that, but fattier animals have always been hunted preferentially, too - animals like bison, porcupine, beaver (tail: all fat.) etc. The leanest animals - small game birds and rabbits - are sort of last-resort, eat-em-if-we-have-to sort of things. So, in the absence of a variety of nice fatty animals like beavers and porcupines to eat, should we eschew nice grass-fed beef and lamb for nasty flavourless chicken? I think not. I won't be buying the book.

That having been said, I think you CAN overdo the fat and if you're going to chug a lot of it, you should probably take other steps like spend most of your time outside, or turn the heat down significantly in your house in the winter. I have no scientific basis for this claim, except that my own observations of not craving fat unless I am cold and active for long periods of time (like winter camping sort of things).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast