Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Evolution Diet - Art Devany page 2

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    It's a shame. They're missing out on the wonderful sense of relief that comes after uttering the phrase.
    Not just relief. You can quit wasting energy building sand-castles against the tide and start moving forward again. We never stop learning. Learning always involves realizing that you were wrong about something. If you can't do that, you stop learning. Might as well be dead at that point.

Gordo

JWheelz is offline Member
    I tried reading Cordain's book after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, and after a few pages talking up lean meats, I put it down.

I am grateful to Art's work though, hearing him on a radio show got me interesting in the paleo approach. His site is disappointing though. I paid the $40 and then found MDA from the forums there, and learned significantly more here. (Plus MDA looks WAY better.)

Quote Originally Posted by JWheelz View Post
    I tried reading Cordain's book after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, and after a few pages talking up lean meats, I put it down.
    I did the same thing. I also really liked "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Taubes has a new book coming out, "Why we get fat". Supposedly it's more readable. GCBC did get a little dry in spots.

I'm reading Wolf's book right now. It's light on the science, but very entertaining. I haven't found any huge holes of the kind that turned me off Cordain.

Gordo

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    What if they're right about the lean meats? What if we should be getting lots of saturated fat, but we should be getting it mostly from the animal's organs?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    What if they're right about the lean meats? What if we should be getting lots of saturated fat, but we should be getting it mostly from the animal's organs?
    When it comes to grain fed animals, skip the visible fat.

When it comes to grass fed, eat up.

Whenever I read "lean meat" I automatically assume the author, if he's American, is referring to the shitty meat we raise in The Great US of A. I never fault them for that.

People in Europe that have access to grass fed may get confused though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    What if they're right about the lean meats?
    They could be right. I still think that if you avoid eating toxic things that you're going to be fine.

The lean meat part didn't bother me. The part the made me close the book laughing was about fire and cooking being a recent invention, so you shouldn't eat anything that isn't edible raw. I figured that anyone who made such a fundamental error probably hadn't done his homework in the other areas either and wasn't to be trusted.

Gordo

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    They could be right. I still think that if you avoid eating toxic things that you're going to be fine.

The lean meat part didn't bother me. The part the made me close the book laughing was about fire and cooking being a recent invention, so you shouldn't eat anything that isn't edible raw. I figured that anyone who made such a fundamental error probably hadn't done his homework in the other areas either and wasn't to be trusted.

Gordo
    I know that in Paleo world we often say “if Grok didn’t eat it, or it wasn’t available, then neither should you” and I often think that’s silly, but only eating things that are good for you when raw is dumber than dumb. It can work as a guidelines I guess (to avoid grains, legumes, etc) but not eating tubers because they may not be edible raw doesn’t sit right with me. Meat too, while we’re at it. I don’t mind some raw meat, but I like it cooked much much more.

Have you read "Catching Fire" by Richard Wrangham? It's a great book. Evolution and cooking. What cooking does to food(good things). Comparing our digestive tracts to our primate relatives. Raw-foodists in Germany. All kinds of good stuff.

Gordo

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read Art's book (but it was on my Amazon wish list until this post), but I did get the Paleo Diet Cookbook. I knew Cordain had an updated version of his Paleo Diet book out this month, so I was hoping to see him soften his position on animal fats. He didn't. He does recommend grass-fed beef, but still says to get the lean cuts and trim visible fat, etc. It was a little disappointing as I had thought he recommended lean meat because he was assuming the masses would be eating grain fed beef. To recommend grass fed and then still trim it all down seems a bit much.

With that said, I got his book for meal ideas and not ideology. I may get Art's book too knowing that I may not agree or follow everything he states.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Each of the authors subscribe to the same basic theory, but each has its little differences. We all post on here because we mostly subscribe to Mark's version. Whose to know which is the best one? I for one don't like things to be complicated. I pick a method and stick with it, and don't change unless it's not working. I like Primal. As far as not eating egg yolks, that's lunacy. Eggs are the perfect food.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast