Thread: Vitamin D and kids page

lolov is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D and kids

Shop Now
    My kids take a multi vitamin every day that has 400IU of D... I'm thinking I should get them a D supplement, but I'm not confident enough in my ability to judge that LOL. I was thinking of maybe a 500 supplement of D for them (to get them up to close to 1000 a day) or is that too much?

I'm hoping the D gurus here will know if 400 is good enough or if I should have them on another supp... we live in VA, if that makes a difference.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Current recommendation is 1000 IUs per 25 lbs of body weight over the age of one. Oil-based D3 drops or gel caps are the best form. See more info here.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Dragonfly is SPOT ON, and I consider her an expert on this subject.

I totally agree with her. But don't forget yourself, as you need 5,000 to 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 depending on the amount of direct noontime sunshine that you get. Do your blood test and adjust dosage up or down according to my Vitamin D report, below.

Best to you and your children,
    Grizz

highmountainlakes is offline Junior Member
    I give my boys (ages 5 & 3 ) the vitamin D drops by Carlson Laboratories. 400 IU's per drop. I've "trained" them to just open up at meals for their drops. In the winter they get 1 drop 3x per day plus 400 IU's in their multivitamin (Nordic Berries by Nordic Naturals).

It seems to work pretty well, they are rarely sick.

Also, I am open to any feedback on the amount of Vitamin D I am giving my boys.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by highmountainlakes View Post
    I give my boys (ages 5 & 3 ) the vitamin D drops by Carlson Laboratories. 400 IU's per drop. I've "trained" them to just open up at meals for their drops. In the winter they get 1 drop 3x per day plus 400 IU's in their multivitamin (Nordic Berries by Nordic Naturals).

It seems to work pretty well, they are rarely sick.

Also, I am open to any feedback on the amount of Vitamin D I am giving my boys.
    Children should be given 1,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily per 25 lbs of body weight.
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...eficient.shtml

Best of health to you,
    Grizz